VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mightyenigma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am running Windows 3.11 in Dosbox, and everything works great, except the USB gamepads.
The gamepads are not being detected by joy.cpl as joysticks.

Dosbox itself is detecting the gamepads and they work for dosbox in general but windows 3.11 is Dosbox cannot see the gamepads for some reason.

How do I troubeshoot this?

Reply 1 of 3, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)

Reply 2 of 3, by mightyenigma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I read the guide before I posted, because I didnt find anything in there about how to troubleshoot joysticks not being detected by windows 3.11 even when the windows 3.11 joystick drivers have already been installed in windows 3.11 - I followed the guide, but when I got to the part where I install the driver, windows 3.11 says identical driver is already installed. And indeed I can already set it up for 2 axis or 4 axis, so it must be installed. It juat cant seem to see the joystick that dosbox (which win 3.11 is running inside of) can see for some reason.

Reply 3 of 3, by mightyenigma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK I tried replacing the existing driver and it didn't really make a difference, but then I found out in the particular game I was trying to play, that it disables joystick support by default because it crashes some versions of 16-bit windows. I turned that on in the game's INI file and now the joystick option is no longer greyed out and can be selected.

HOWEVER,
Even after properly calibrating the 2-axis joystick, it constantly has input to the left and ignores the Y axis. All I can do is make it stop turning left or allow it to, nothing else on the gamepad thumbstick seems to register. The buttons both work fine though.

UPDATE:
To fix the problem, I only had to click the SETUP button within the game, where it prompted me to center the joystick and press ENTER. I did so, and now it works perfectly! Not sure if changing the DOSBox settings for timed joystick to "true" helped or didn't matter, but it works well now.

Thank you, the guide was helpful, but my solution had mostly to do with the game itself not being set up properly, it turns out.