VOGONS

Common searches

GeForce 4 MX440 on windows 98 SE

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I forgot about mem and DX. 98 doesn't officially support more than 512 and it'd just be a recipe for headaches. There's no typical use case where you'd need more than that.

I know that Voodoo3 drivers do install without the correct DX (the problems manifest afterwards) but it seems NV drivers need it beforehand.

Reply 21 of 29, by joseph!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
myne wrote on 2024-04-08, 22:53:
Windows 98SE - Driver Issues […]
Show full quote

Windows 98SE - Driver Issues

GeForce 2 MX400 is not being initialized under Windows 98

https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nee … win98se.133480/

Second one suggests directx might be the issue

well mine is a geforce 4 mx400 a agp 4x card still those methods are worth a try!

(chipset drivers already installed without any iusses, drivers are from the official AsRock website)

now as a user in the first thread said " I've tried all your recommendations so far, as for the graphics card, but nothing had worked so far. I have tried every single graphics driver for the GeForce MX4000 by now; 56.64 causes the computer to freeze on the bootscreen after reboot, 61.76-71.84 results in a blank black screen after the bootscreen after reboot, 77.72-81.85 will give me a message after reboot that the setup is configuring my hardware, but it will never get pass that message and 81.98 destroys the OS completely." that happend to me as well, soo which driver verion should i use now? since mine is a geforce 4 i don't know if detonator drivers are compatible

the second thread siad that i should install DX7 or 8 or 8.1 before the setup which isn't a propblem ill try it out if you already have a dx offline setup link let me know

as i already said sorry for my english i am trying my best

Last edited by joseph! on 2024-04-09, 01:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 29, by joseph!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eddman wrote on 2024-04-08, 23:09:

I forgot about mem and DX. 98 doesn't officially support more than 512 and it'd just be a recipe for headaches. There's no typical use case where you'd need more than that.

I know that Voodoo3 drivers do install without the correct DX (the problems manifest afterwards) but it seems NV drivers need it beforehand.

you mean VRAM or system RAM? since i was using a MaxPhysPage=3B000 which limit the ram at 944mb (the gpu is 64MB )

Reply 23 of 29, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your English is fine btw.

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)

Reply 24 of 29, by joseph!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
joseph! wrote on 2024-04-09, 00:07:
well mine is a geforce 4 mx400 a agp 4x card still those methods are worth a try! […]
Show full quote
myne wrote on 2024-04-08, 22:53:
Windows 98SE - Driver Issues […]
Show full quote

Windows 98SE - Driver Issues

GeForce 2 MX400 is not being initialized under Windows 98

https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nee … win98se.133480/

Second one suggests directx might be the issue

well mine is a geforce 4 mx400 a agp 4x card still those methods are worth a try!

(chipset drivers already installed without any iusses, drivers are from the official AsRock website)

now as a user in the first thread said " I've tried all your recommendations so far, as for the graphics card, but nothing had worked so far. I have tried every single graphics driver for the GeForce MX4000 by now; 56.64 causes the computer to freeze on the bootscreen after reboot, 61.76-71.84 results in a blank black screen after the bootscreen after reboot, 77.72-81.85 will give me a message after reboot that the setup is configuring my hardware, but it will never get pass that message and 81.98 destroys the OS completely." that happend to me as well, soo which driver verion should i use now? since mine is a geforce 4 i don't know if detonator drivers are compatible

the second thread siad that i should install DX7 or 8 or 8.1 before the setup which isn't a propblem ill try it out if you already have a dx offline setup link let me know

as i already said sorry for my english i am trying my best

(checked all the bios settings)

i have installed the chipset drivers then the direct X 7 > 8.1 >8.2

as always... i got the "wrong settings error" some even broke the system or keeps the system from working/booting properly (sometime the process Msgsrv32 froze and doesn't let me boot in the system if i don't manually kill the process) (anything below 28.32 doesn't support my gpu) version tested: 31.40 - 28.32 - 56.64 - 61.76 -- detonator 45.23 -41.09 -53.04

i can't believe i am actually saying that but... il keep using windows ME since is the only 9X OS where all the drivers works perfectly fine even the usb!

probably is something releated with the compatibilty, maybe is the motherboard - asrock 775i65g - (some users said that could be the mobo specially the firsts revisions) maybe is the bios that doesn't work with this gpu and win 98 or maybe is just the gpu itself, some IRQ problems or some conflict in the system...

Reply 25 of 29, by joseph!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
joseph! wrote on 2024-04-09, 00:16:
eddman wrote on 2024-04-08, 23:09:

you mean VRAM or system RAM? since i was using a MaxPhysPage=3B000 which limit the ram at 944mb (the gpu is 64MB )

also done

Reply 26 of 29, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

512 MB system memory is a known limitation of 98. I don't know how the situation is when vram comes into the mix. Maybe try physically reducing the amount to 512 (remove memory sticks) instead of using MaxPhysPage.

You don't need to install multiple DX packages. Each subsequent release includes the files from the previous one (with the exception of June 2010 which you can't install on 98 or Me anyway; requires XP SP2).

Last edited by eddman on 2024-04-09, 19:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 29, by joseph!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eddman wrote on 2024-04-09, 11:50:

512 MB system memory is a known limitation of 98. I don't know how the situation is when vram comes into the mix. Maybe try physically reducing the amount to 512 instead of using MaxPhysPage.

You don't need to install multiple DX packages. Each subsequent release includes the files from the previous one (with the exception of June 2010 which you can't install on 98 or Me anyway; requires XP SP2).

yeah i forgot to mention that i tested with DX7 and then 8.1 and 8.2 in separate testing just to be sure and i limited the ram nothing changed...

Reply 28 of 29, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

RLP will help you (RAM Limitation Patch by Rudolph R. Loew) or a memory limit of up to 512MB. Windows ME, in turn, does not need RLP, but only a modification of SYSTEM.INI (MaxFileCache; MaxPhysPage). A good article describing your problem in detail and the correct way to solve it (Use an online translator): https://www.ixbt.com/soft/windows9x-memory.shtml

On the same motherboard, I was able to use up to 1984MB of memory without using RLP under Windows ME. While under Windows 98\98SE, RLP was already required to get the entire volume of 2GB (Or a limit to 512MB via BURNMEM\LIMEM or similar) and no settings helped. Architecture features (Windows ME introduced improvements in working with large amounts of memory).

Reply 29 of 29, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think you need to use an even older driver then 5x.xx. My cards from the 6000 series included

I have never ever ever needed to use above 4x.xx on any of my 30 retro machines.

The 28.xx drivers are the earliest drivers for that card