VOGONS

First post, by duke_nuked_em

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a socket 7 motherboard with only the din AT keyboard port built in. What would you suggest for hooking up a keyboard and mouse (I have usb devices, and usb to ps/2 converters). For what it's worth this machine also has 40mb ram, and 120mhz pentium.

I'd considered buying a ps/2 card, but the cheaper ones I saw were new PCI ones with usb built in (a plus) but they said they needed 98 or newer, since this will be a dos/win 95 box I don't know how much hassle it will be to get it to work.

I haven't bought a soundcard yet, but the ISA Soundblasters I'm looking at will have a DB9 port (I'd planned to use that for a joystick tho)

What did people do in the mid 90s? Thanks

Reply 1 of 14, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A socket 7 board will have a ps/2 mouse port as well. In fact most have usb.

Take a good picture of the board. or give us a model number. myself or someone else should be able to point out where to plug things in.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 14, by duke_nuked_em

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are the specs of the board. It says there are two serial ports but the only one coming out of the back of the board is the aforementioned AT keyboard port.
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/P/PC … l#ixzz2Bq4ATofW

Reply 4 of 14, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guess it's an Intel 430FX, since it does not have USB. Newer chipsets like 430HX, VX, TX already have USB ports, and in case of VX and TX, SDRAM support.
Considering PCI PS/2+USB cards, they do not need any kind of drivers for the PS/2 ports. Just for the USB, I think.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 7 of 14, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You do not need one of those PCI RS232 adapters. Any socket 7 mobo already has them. If is AT, it has headers. If is ATX, it has'em on the back panel.
I still think a PS2-USB combo card is a good idea. I think I will order one.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 8 of 14, by duke_nuked_em

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks filosaurus, it's an AT board so it has the headers. So how do I hook the headers up (like where can I buy one, haven't seen them on eBay). I might go with the usb + ps/2 card tho.

Reply 10 of 14, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still think a PS2-USB combo card is a good idea. I think I will order one.

They're not as good an idea as they appear to be. Those things don't actually have real PS/2 ports on them. They use a USB->PS/2 bridge, same as the converter dongles (like these), except that it's mounted on a card instead of a cable. Which means that it won't work for low-level stuff (like getting into the BIOS) on older boards that don't have native USB support.

Reply 11 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
duke_nuked_em wrote:

I haven't bought a soundcard yet, but the ISA Soundblasters I'm looking at will have a DB9 port (I'd planned to use that for a joystick tho)

Wouldn't that be a DA-15 port?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_port

Reply 12 of 14, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My socket 7 system doesn't have PS/2 or USB. But to be fair it's probably the cheapest motherboard intel made that could fit a pentium. I just use an old AT keyboard and a serial mouse. works fine for me.

my life runs on X86

Reply 13 of 14, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It would probably best to just use a PCI USB card and a USB mouse for these Sytems. If you plan to run winnt, I find the 3rd party USB HID mouse driver to work fine, even on a 486.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 14 of 14, by Pilotgeek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you're any good at soldering, you could see if the board has solder points for a mini-din connector. On my 486-PIO3, I removed the old AT connector and soldered the mouse and keyboard mini-din connectors in place. Everything was in place for the hardware to work (didn't need any resistors or anything).