VOGONS

First post, by Seaside

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello to all and congratulations to this community for reviving the old school gaming index.

I've started 3 months ago to build a lineup of old PC's.

My problem now is my 486 mainboard which does not read EDO memory and refuses to boot with this type of RAM.

The chipset is SIS 496/497.

FPM are kinda rare and i only have 2x4mb non edo simms.

I've upgraded the BIOS to read correctly the 133MHZ AMD cpu but i don't know what to do with this fella. I also upgraded the cache ram from 256K to 512. But since i can't find ram this board is useless.

Any kind of help is appreciated and thank you all in advance.

Reply 1 of 9, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I know, the SIS 496 does not support EDO RAM. How many SIMM slots does your board have? Maybe I still have FPM modules stored somewhere...

Reply 2 of 9, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought the 496 was one of the few chipsets that did support EDO...? Or maybe it's dependent on the BIOS of the particular board.

Just to make sure... have you tried parity memory in it?

Reply 4 of 9, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SIS 496 may be able to support EDO RAM in the specification (I don't know about that), but I've yet to see a board that works with it.

See also this thread.

BTW, has anybody managed to run more than 256KB L2 cache on a SIS 496/497-based mainboard?

Reply 5 of 9, by Seaside

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
5u3 wrote:

As far as I know, the SIS 496 does not support EDO RAM. How many SIMM slots does your board have? Maybe I still have FPM modules stored somewhere...

I flashed the bios with the latest realease i was able to find.

But the memory refuses to work (i mean edo memory)

The only thing that changed was the CPU Microcode so the 133MHZ ADZ and ADW processors succesfully worked after the flash.

My board has 4 simm slots and it's like this one

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/m486_3.html

Last edited by Seaside on 2010-07-04, 19:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 9, by Seaside

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

I thought the 496 was one of the few chipsets that did support EDO...? Or maybe it's dependent on the BIOS of the particular board.

Just to make sure... have you tried parity memory in it?

NO i do not have Parity Simms. So i didn't give it a try.

Reply 7 of 9, by Seaside

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
5u3 wrote:

The SIS 496 may be able to support EDO RAM in the specification (I don't know about that), but I've yet to see a board that works with it.

See also this thread.

BTW, has anybody managed to run more than 256KB L2 cache on a SIS 496/497-based mainboard?

Mine had installed 4 chips for a total of 256k cache. I installed another 4 chips and i also changed the tag ram so now shows and has 512 total cache.

Reply 8 of 9, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Seaside wrote:

Mine had installed 4 chips for a total of 256k cache. I installed another 4 chips and i also changed the tag ram so now shows and has 512 total cache.

Ah, you used 64K x 8 chips, nice! 😉
I tried 128K x 8, but they didn't work, and unfortunately my board does not have the sockets for eight 64K x 8 chips.

I rummaged in my RAM pile, but the turnout was not very impressive: I only have some 4 MB FPM modules left (with these, you could upgrade your board to 16 MB RAM). If you're interested to get these for the price of shipping, drop me a PM.

Reply 9 of 9, by Seaside

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
5u3 wrote:
Ah, you used 64K x 8 chips, nice! :wink: I tried 128K x 8, but they didn't work, and unfortunately my board does not have the so […]
Show full quote
Seaside wrote:

Ah, you used 64K x 8 chips, nice! 😉
I tried 128K x 8, but they didn't work, and unfortunately my board does not have the sockets for eight 64K x 8 chips.

I rummaged in my RAM pile, but the turnout was not very impressive: I only have some 4 MB FPM modules left (with these, you could upgrade your board to 16 MB RAM). If you're interested to get these for the price of shipping, drop me a PM.

Thank you very much. This is a very kind gesture.

I will let you know.