VOGONS

Finally!! A stable Socket 3 System!!

Topic actions

First post, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was bored yesterday and took the time to throw together another socket 3 system with parts that I have purchased in the last month or so. I have tried before with a socket 3 system, but the end product was never stable.

This system is together and it works!! I was grinning ear to ear all of yesterday. I've attached a picture of the motherboard. It was made by a company called lucky star it went out of buisness in the late 90's. I was able to get the board brand new. The chipset is the SIS 496/497.

The cpu is a pentium overdirve 83mhz processor; here are the other specs:

Intel POD 83mzh
32mb edo ram
4gb scsi hard drive
5-disc Nakamichi internal scsi cdrom drive
Adaptec pci scsi adapter
et6000 pci video card
diamond monster 3d voodoo1 card
SB16 CT2800
SCC-1b
CM-32L

All of my sierra and lucasarts game work with out the patches to make them work on newer hardware! And QuakeGL works well and smoothly on a Socket 3 System. I have more things to put on this thing. I am even comtemplating trying Jedi Knight just for kicks!

Attachments

• LuckyStar_496497.jpg
    Filename
    LuckyStar_496497.jpg
    File size
    108.18 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SIS 496/497 chipset motherboard
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 39, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
2Mourty wrote:

32mb edo ram

Are you sure it's EDO? I've always thought the 496/497 only supports FPM.

2Mourty wrote:

5-disc Nakamichi internal scsi cdrom drive

Nice! 😁

Reply 3 of 39, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The board has 256k cache. I wish it was 512, but I go the board new and cheap so I won't complain. As far as the EDO memory I am pretty sure that the manual says that the board supports EDO. I will check it when I get home from work and let you know for sure.

Reply 7 of 39, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is a picture from the manual showing that it supports EDO Ram. I do have some fpm ram so I could test to see if there are any benefits to the EDO ram. How exactly would I do it? I have never had a stable Socket 3 system so I don't know how to test this one very well. The BIOS does allow you to tweak memory timings etc. pretty extensively

5u3 I am glad that you appreciate the 5 disc scsi drive. I play lots of old adventure games on cd-rom and having to switch disks all the time was a pain. This was my solution.

Moogle! I have really liked the et6000 card so far. The 2D quality is stellar. I have not tested lots of vesa games yet to see if how fast it is. From what I hear this card should have pretty stellar performance. Also, Moogle! is your username a reference to Final Fantasy Moogles?

Attachments

• LUckyStar_manual.jpg
    Filename
    LUckyStar_manual.jpg
    File size
    97.76 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Manual Spec Page
    File license

Reply 9 of 39, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was suprised too to see it had EDO support....I have some "later" SiS 496/497 mobo's too..maybe they have EDO support also.

btw. I love these obscure brands that made these mobo's 😁 "Lucky Star" ha! there must have been an army of different motherboard manafacturers back then...I wonder if it was the huge OEM business that caused it.

btw. how did it go with that Shuttle HOT mobo you got before which also had EDO support?

would be nice to see a pic of the whole system you have here and also a benchmark result with pc player benchmark and speedsys

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 10 of 39, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lucky Star was a known brand in Greece, their stuff was OK AFAIR

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 39, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably SIS 496 works with EDO RAM (after all, it just needs more efficient DRAM timing, right?), but the BIOS needs to support the new parameters.

When I insert EDO RAM into the RAM slots of my PVI-486SP3, I get a garbled textmode screen after bootup. 🙁

swaaye wrote:

Have you seen if EDO has any benefits? Run any comparative benches? Can you run lower latencies?

Amigaz wrote:

would be nice to see a pic of the whole system you have here and also a benchmark result with pc player benchmark and speedsys

Thirded!

2Mourty, bring on the benches! 😀

Links to the benchmark programs: PCPBench

EDIT: Uploaded newer SpeedSys version: SpeedSys 4.78

Last edited by 5u3 on 2009-02-04, 09:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 39, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will do the benchmarks when I get home from work. I'm interested in the results.

I have a mini-tower at case with a turbo button and the display that should show the speed of the processor, I have not figured out how to attach it to the motherboard correctly yet... I'll take a picture of the system and post it.

Reply 13 of 39, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The PCBench had a score of 8.3

I am posting 2 pictures with the results of the speedsys tests. I am posting two because some might have an easier time seeing one or the other. You'll have to let me know if these score are good or pathetic. I ran the test with some fairly aggressive memory timings.

If you have ideas for how I can tweak the bios for better scores let me know. I had fun.

Amigaz, I never could get the shuttle board running stabily. I suspect some parts that I used so I might try again some day on that one....

Attachments

• Benchmark1.jpg
    Filename
    Benchmark1.jpg
    File size
    107.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Benchmark2.jpg
    Filename
    Benchmark2.jpg
    File size
    116.29 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 14 of 39, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isn't there also some kind of benchmark for video performance?

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 15 of 39, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm to tired to switch out the edo ram and put in FPM memory to make a comparison tonight. The ram I'm using is some pretty crappy edo I stole from an old fic pa2002 motherboard I fried by accident a while back. I wonder if some good 60n memory would get better scores.

I will get some pictures of the rig another night for you to see =) This test was at a 33 mhz system bus, I wonder what upping the bus to 40 would do for the numbers...

Reply 17 of 39, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Pentioum Overdrive really shows it's muscles here but it seems like it's severly restricted as usual judging by your pcplayer benchmark result.

Is the cpu's L1 cache set to writeback?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 18 of 39, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whoops, I just realized I uploaded an old version of SpeedSys. 😊

Latest version is 4.78, not 4.70. Get ver. 4.78 here.
I don't know if the results are comparable between versions (probably not). Sorry!