VOGONS

First post, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

I currently have a single board computer rig and i am trying out this old ATI 1MB vga card but for some reason i cant get it to output vga (vga output coming from sbc). It appears to be working as the ati card has its own bios loading screen. I have tried the other slots too but same reasult. i know the slots work too as my other graphics cards work fine! i cant upload a pic yet but its got some text on the card which reads:

8541 VANTAGE AT BUS
FCC ID: EXMVANAT1
PN 1090011910

I ll try and get a pic of it later on but anyone have any clues?

regards

Reply 2 of 5, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is no VGA vard, it is a 8514A clone card for ISA. So it is working like an independent special second graphics card.
You require also a usual VGA card for text modes and so on.

Like a Voodoo card was installed as add-on 3D accelerator, the 8514A is an add-on card for high resolution modes.
8514A was introduced in 1987 and features 1024x768 with 256 colors and 2D acceleration but it is not Super-VGA. It is an own Standard.

Anyway, if someone of you decides to sell one of those clones, I would buy one. Since I own a real PS/2 System with an original 8514/A it would be quite interesting for comparison.
The original 8514A MCA-card looks like this btw: http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/ps2/8514a.jpg
It's a piggy packed double board, with the memory on the top one and the control ICs on the lower board.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 5, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you post a high res photo of this card? I'd really like one for my ATi wiki page.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium