First post, by mcobit
I'm building a SoftSynth box with the Raspberry Pi 3 right now and want to share my progress in hope to get some input from you.
This video explains what is done so far:
- throw prototype setup together
- Configure an USB soundcard for output as the Raspberry's analog out is not that good
- Configure a HD44780 compatible LCD with the RPLCD lib for use in python programs
- Connect some buttons for controlling everything as later there will be no hdmi monitor, keyboard or mouse. It should all be controlled with 4 buttons
- Write wrapper scripts in bash to start Munt in CM32L and MT32 mode as well as Fluidsynth server with a Soundfont and make sure that they always use port 128:0 for input
- Support for automatic search for soundfonts thrown into a directory (sf2 format)
- Set Raspberry's CPU governor to Performance all the time (might need a heatsink later on)
- Recompiled Munt and Fluidsynth with RP3 optimized CFLAGS and CXX Flags
- Build Gameport -> Midi out cable
- Build Midi interface board to use Raspberrys builtin uart for Midi in/out/through (probably test with a simple MIDI -> USB adapter first)
- automatically connect uart midi to port 128:0
- Build a box for all of that
I am open for questions and /or constructive criticism.
Also I will update this post when the next steps are finished.