[PCem] Any way to get SB16 sound + MT-32 MIDI at the same time?

Emulation of old PCs, PC hardware, or PC peripherals.

[PCem] Any way to get SB16 sound + MT-32 MIDI at the same time?

Postby realnc » 2019-6-29 @ 16:25

When using a SB16 (or AWE32) with an MT-32, if you play a game that requires the IRQ for MIDI (and SoftMPU,) then you can't get digital sound at the same time because the SB cards share the same IRQ for MIDI and digital sound. Is there any known way/trick to somehow get both?
User avatar
realnc
Member
 
Posts: 413
Joined: 2010-10-13 @ 11:02

Re: [PCem] Any way to get SB16 sound + MT-32 MIDI at the same time?

Postby gdjacobs » 2019-6-29 @ 17:57

The MIDI IRQ (when it's required) is 2/9 which is shared with ACPI. SB16 shouldn't use it.
User avatar
gdjacobs
l33t++
 
Posts: 6588
Joined: 2015-11-03 @ 05:51
Location: The Great White North

Re: [PCem] Any way to get SB16 sound + MT-32 MIDI at the same time?

Postby realnc » 2019-6-29 @ 18:03

gdjacobs wrote:The MIDI IRQ (when it's required) is 2/9 which is shared with ACPI. SB16 shouldn't use it.

The MT-32 works fine over IRQ 5 (and the game can be configured to use that). That's not the problem here.
User avatar
realnc
Member
 
Posts: 413
Joined: 2010-10-13 @ 11:02

Re: [PCem] Any way to get SB16 sound + MT-32 MIDI at the same time?

Postby gdjacobs » 2019-6-29 @ 18:05

realnc wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:The MIDI IRQ (when it's required) is 2/9 which is shared with ACPI. SB16 shouldn't use it.

The MT-32 works fine over IRQ 5 (and the game can be configured to use that). That's not the problem here.

Then something is very, very wrong. The PCM IRQ should be 5 or 7.
User avatar
gdjacobs
l33t++
 
Posts: 6588
Joined: 2015-11-03 @ 05:51
Location: The Great White North

Re: [PCem] Any way to get SB16 sound + MT-32 MIDI at the same time?

Postby realnc » 2019-6-29 @ 18:10

gdjacobs wrote:Then something is very, very wrong. The PCM IRQ should be 5 or 7.

It is 5. But it's also used for the MPU-401 port (the SB cards don't offer a second IRQ like some other sound cards did, but PCem doesn't emulate these other cards.) So you can't have PCM and IRQ-based MPU-401 at the same time. I'm looking for some sort of workaround for that.
User avatar
realnc
Member
 
Posts: 413
Joined: 2010-10-13 @ 11:02

Re: [PCem] Any way to get SB16 sound + MT-32 MIDI at the same time?

Postby gdjacobs » 2019-6-30 @ 07:08

realnc wrote:It is 5. But it's also used for the MPU-401 port (the SB cards don't offer a second IRQ like some other sound cards did, but PCem doesn't emulate these other cards.) So you can't have PCM and IRQ-based MPU-401 at the same time. I'm looking for some sort of workaround for that.


Sounds like you're screwed, maybe. SoftMPU doesn't allow you to alias an IRQ that I'm aware of.
User avatar
gdjacobs
l33t++
 
Posts: 6588
Joined: 2015-11-03 @ 05:51
Location: The Great White North


Return to PC Emulation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest