VOGONS

First post, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When using a SB16 (or AWE32) with an MT-32, if you play a game that requires the IRQ for MIDI (and SoftMPU,) then you can't get digital sound at the same time because the SB cards share the same IRQ for MIDI and digital sound. Is there any known way/trick to somehow get both?

Reply 1 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The MIDI IRQ (when it's required) is 2/9 which is shared with ACPI. SB16 shouldn't use it.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 5, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

The MIDI IRQ (when it's required) is 2/9 which is shared with ACPI. SB16 shouldn't use it.

The MT-32 works fine over IRQ 5 (and the game can be configured to use that). That's not the problem here.

Reply 3 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
realnc wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

The MT-32 works fine over IRQ 5 (and the game can be configured to use that). That's not the problem here.

Then something is very, very wrong. The PCM IRQ should be 5 or 7.

Reply 4 of 5, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Then something is very, very wrong. The PCM IRQ should be 5 or 7.

It is 5. But it's also used for the MPU-401 port (the SB cards don't offer a second IRQ like some other sound cards did, but PCem doesn't emulate these other cards.) So you can't have PCM and IRQ-based MPU-401 at the same time. I'm looking for some sort of workaround for that.

Reply 5 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
realnc wrote:

It is 5. But it's also used for the MPU-401 port (the SB cards don't offer a second IRQ like some other sound cards did, but PCem doesn't emulate these other cards.) So you can't have PCM and IRQ-based MPU-401 at the same time. I'm looking for some sort of workaround for that.

Sounds like you're screwed, maybe. SoftMPU doesn't allow you to alias an IRQ that I'm aware of.