First post, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello everyone,

Just saw some interesting story that made me smile. 😃

https://hackaday.com/2021/09/15/german-experi … et-connections/

Of course, this experiment happened in Germany, development country of digital infrastructure.

Btw, where did I put my ISDN card?

Best regards,
Jo22

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 13, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting it's like the old logic of going somewhere walking instead with a car searching for a parking place or waiting a bus. Nowdays some people would choose the digital road for everything even for the most basic stuff like when I hear about people ordering their food on some phone app instead of actually preparing something even basic to eat.

Reply 3 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The ping is not good enough for any game more action packed than chess by email though.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 13, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another benefit is you get your very own mobile automatic fertilizer producer.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

RIP Sir Sinclair. 😔

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 13, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway." –- Andrew Tanenbaum, 1981

Related: https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2009/02/sneak … s-internet.html

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 8 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think LTT Linus ran into this when he was trying to organise offsite backup.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 13, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386SX wrote on 2021-09-15, 12:24:

Interesting it's like the old logic of going somewhere walking instead with a car searching for a parking place or waiting a bus. Nowdays some people would choose the digital road for everything even for the most basic stuff like when I hear about people ordering their food on some phone app instead of actually preparing something even basic to eat.

With the ridiculous rise of cost of public transport and charging every parking place available in town, I have a situation where it is cheaper for me to order from a store on the other side of the country and get it delivered to my doorstep, than it is to take a car or bus ride to the town just 6 km away.

https://antonior-software.blogspot.com

Reply 10 of 13, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
antrad wrote on 2021-09-17, 18:10:
386SX wrote on 2021-09-15, 12:24:

With the ridiculous rise of cost of public transport and charging every parking place available in town, I have a situation where it is cheaper for me to order from a store on the other side of the country and get it delivered to my doorstep, than it is to take a car or bus ride to the town just 6 km away.

I understand the point. But what make me think about it is getting used to not actually preparing our own food, loosing the ability and more important the logic of the (free) time factor needed for something that might be better to be choosen, prepared at home instead of being prepared, boxed, delivered from miles aways. I mean when things get "too easy" I think we get use to it and happens that even preparing a breakfast might become a difficult task. 😉

Reply 11 of 13, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386SX wrote on 2021-09-18, 07:18:

I understand the point. But what make me think about it is getting used to not actually preparing our own food, loosing the ability and more important the logic of the (free) time factor needed for something that might be better to be choosen, prepared at home instead of being prepared, boxed, delivered from miles aways. I mean when things get "too easy" I think we get use to it and happens that even preparing a breakfast might become a difficult task. 😉

That Wall-E cartoon becomes more true each day.

https://antonior-software.blogspot.com

Reply 13 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
1541 wrote on 2021-09-19, 08:20:

If they included the time to actually burn the DVD with 2x Speed, the Internet would have been the winner.

Lol 😂

//My video channel//