VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by axelf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone!

I try to play THE SETTLERS I with vdm tool and the sound works nice!

But I want to play in a higher resolution so I enabled "basic vesa support" so i can switch to svga mode in the game. without checking this option i am not able to switch the resolution.

Now the Problem:

When switching to svga mode the mouse stops in the upper left corner of the display and soon when pressing any key the os freezes!

Can you help me?! Is this a known problem and you know how to fix it? Is there maybe another tool avaible to fix this?

i run windows 2000 on an athlon 1600+ with a geforce2ti graphics card from asus and directx version 8.1

Thx a lot!

Last edited by axelf on 2002-08-05, 15:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 21, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About the cornered mouse: see https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?fun … 091&atid=220091

I can't help with the freeze, though.

What game is this anyway?

V.

axelf wrote:
Hi everyone! […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone!

I try to play THE SETTLERS I with vdm tool and the sound works nice!

But I want to play in a higher resolution so I enabled "basic vesa support" so i can switch to svga mode in the game. without checking this option i am not able to switch the resolution.

Now the Problem:

When switching to svga mode the mouse stops in the upper left corner of the display and soon when pressing any key the os freezes!

Can you help me?! Is this a known problem and you know how to fix it? Is there maybe another tool avaible to fix this?

i run windows 2000 on an athlon 1600+ with a geforce2ti graphics card from asus and directx version 8.1

Thx a lot!

Reply 4 of 21, by axelf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vladr wrote:

ok, here is what i did:

i started mouseset.exe with vdm to enable vesa support to switch to svga mode.

I set up a ustom configuration and added to the programm information under arguments the line

640 480 sied.exe

to start the game.

i also tried 800 600 sied.exe

but when i switch to svga mode the mouse still hangs in the upper left corner. it seems to me that mouseset doesn' t work.

what can i do now?

and yes, it is this "Serf City: Life is Feudal" game!

Reply 6 of 21, by axelf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

When you say you "switch" to SVGA mode, is that something that is done in the game?

yes it is an option inside the game. the game starts in vga mode and you see the welcome screen. when you start a new game it is also in vga mode, but you can switch now to svga mode that means a higher resolution.

in vga mode the game is useless, you only see pixels.

Reply 8 of 21, by axelf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

I can't find a copy of the game on The Underdogs. Do you have a download URL so that I can try it myself?

i use the german version named "die siedler" from a classic games cd.

i think it isn't on the web for free download yet!

Reply 9 of 21, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, MOUSESET won't necessarily work with all games. Too bad it doesn't work with this one (either).
You only option then is to try to find a mouse option in the game, or play in 640x480 (until DosBox will support VESA and p-mode).

V.

axelf wrote:
ok, here is what i did: […]
Show full quote

ok, here is what i did:

i started mouseset.exe with vdm to enable vesa support to switch to svga mode.

I set up a ustom configuration and added to the programm information under arguments the line

640 480 sied.exe

to start the game.

i also tried 800 600 sied.exe

but when i switch to svga mode the mouse still hangs in the upper left corner. it seems to me that mouseset doesn' t work.

what can i do now?

and yes, it is this "Serf City: Life is Feudal" game!

Reply 10 of 21, by axelf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

but i don't know where to locate the problem exactly.

i am able to switch to svga but then there is the problem with the mouse.

i tried the pause option inside the game and with this i can move the mouse in the upper part of the screen, mouseset doesn't changes anything. when i exit pause mode the mouse jumps back to the left corner. but svga works! thats crazy!

is there anything i can try?

Reply 11 of 21, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn't the game's setup program (if any) or configuration file (if any) let you specify different options (anything) for the mouse?

V.

axelf wrote:
but i don't know where to locate the problem exactly. […]
Show full quote

but i don't know where to locate the problem exactly.

i am able to switch to svga but then there is the problem with the mouse.

i tried the pause option inside the game and with this i can move the mouse in the upper part of the screen, mouseset doesn't changes anything. when i exit pause mode the mouse jumps back to the left corner. but svga works! thats crazy!

is there anything i can try?

Reply 14 of 21, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

Yep, same problem here. Not sure what's causing it. The mouse seems to instinctively levitate toward (0,0) for whatever reason.

One moment, so the mouse actually DRIFTS towards (0,0) no matter what, with a mind of its own, or is it just confined to a 320x200 or whatever box on the screen but moving normally within this box? MOUSESET only fixes the box symptom on certain games.

V.

Reply 16 of 21, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

No, it sits at (0,0) and holds there. Won't even attempt to move.

OK, I've never seen this before. Definitely something broken in the game/Windows' NTVDM.EXE. Look for some game mouse option. Does the mouse work fine in 640x480 or 320x200 or whatever the "standard" game resolution is at least?

V.

Reply 17 of 21, by axelf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vladr wrote:

Look for some game mouse option. Does the mouse work fine in 640x480 or 320x200 or whatever the "standard" game resolution is at least?

V.

Yes, it works fine in the standard resolution, no problems!

I think there are no mouse options. I did not find any until now.

Reply 18 of 21, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ALL settings are binary files. Nothing touchable. It appears that it may use UNIVBE, so try running it with a /nounivbe switch. I'm not sure if that will do anything, but it's worth a shot. (I'd try it myself, but trying to escape out of the program freezes everything.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 19 of 21, by axelf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

but trying to escape out of the program freezes everything.)

here is what i do so the programm doesn't freeze:

->start a game
->press "v" in the game = change screen mode
->changing to svga, problem is that mouse hangs
->pressing "v" again goes back to vga mode
->mouse is active, normal again so you can leave the game with the menu

thx for your testings!