VOGONS

Reply 160 of 261, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what happens if the company goes bust?

This would imply that any profit oriented company could really care about their products after dissolve. Unless forced by some obligations of course, which is usually tied to military or government in general.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to make manufactures design things that are repairable.

That would lead to loss of some profit. We can't have that here, it's "unreasonable".

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 161 of 261, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Regarding the TPM issue again. If every computer has a unique TPM, and websites can interact with this TPM for encryption purposes, surely this will compromise anonymity?

(I remember a long time ago a similar controversy over Pentium III serial numbers.)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 162 of 261, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2021-10-19, 04:02:

Regarding the TPM issue again. If every computer has a unique TPM, and websites can interact with this TPM for encryption purposes, surely this will compromise anonymity?

(I remember a long time ago a similar controversy over Pentium III serial numbers.)

Yes and no; it can be tracked to a certain motherboard for sure but that motherboard can't be tracked to you personally, unless the said site actually has that information already.

Moral of the story? Stop using social media, stop using your real name on web boards, and most importantly: STOP USING WINDOWS AND MACOS.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 163 of 261, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2021-10-19, 06:13:

Yes and no; it can be tracked to a certain motherboard for sure but that motherboard can't be tracked to you personally, unless the said site actually has that information already.

Moral of the story? Stop using social media, stop using your real name on web boards, and most importantly: STOP USING WINDOWS AND MACOS.

and stop using a mobile phone. doesn't matter if you have a subscription or not, android ios feature phone or whatever.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 164 of 261, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weedeewee wrote on 2021-10-19, 08:12:
appiah4 wrote on 2021-10-19, 06:13:

and stop using a mobile phone. doesn't matter if you have a subscription or not, android ios feature phone or whatever.

You can actually tame Android to reasonable levels. IOS, not so much.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 165 of 261, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

and stop using a mobile phone.

Good thing there's still indestructible Nokia 3310.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 166 of 261, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess with TPM if you switch the motherboard of a Windows 11 machine this will require re-activation. Previously Windows would not notice this.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 167 of 261, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2021-10-19, 08:17:
weedeewee wrote on 2021-10-19, 08:12:

You can actually tame Android to reasonable levels. IOS, not so much.

and how do you plan on taming the cell phone company ? rip out the cellular radio out of your phone ?

Do not ask Why !

Reply 168 of 261, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-10-18, 15:02:
Tetrium wrote:

It seems to me like just trying to milk the market.

Of course they are. And they want to set current crazy prices for GPUs as new norm.

This is why a healthy market with lots of competition is good to have. Otherwise we'd (as consumers) get overpriced mediocracy.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 169 of 261, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-10-19, 08:47:

and stop using a mobile phone.

I heard that if you place them in a long line on the ground that they will ruin Russian tank tracks instead of the other way around, that's why it was made in Finland 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 170 of 261, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-10-19, 08:47:

I still have a 3330 and a 6600 (compatible with the nGage through a few hacks). Both are still working great. Even the batteries!
I also have a Lumia 950 XL that a use daily. Apart from the compass which is awful it is a very good phone based on Windows 10 Mobile. Then one day in the year 2017 Microsoft have done what they always do when something does not bring them enough money. They make a bras d'honneur to their faithful customers deciding to stop promptly any support for software and hardware. I don't like iOS because there is not enough control over the phone and I respect, but I'm not fond of Apple. I don't like Android too because I find it messy, not optimized and it is impossible to upgrade a phone to a new Android version most of the time (meaning thanks to the manufacturers who decide to and many many thanks to LineageOS). And I love Windows 10 Mobile and I don't want to change. When it was supported, the phone regularly gets Windows 10 upgrade until version 1709. But one day my phone will stop to work and I'll have no choice but to use an Android phone..... I still have a bunch of old ones, but most of the apps of today does no work on them anymore. Such phones work perfectly, but they cannot be used, they cannot be sold, so they are basically to trash...

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 171 of 261, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-10-19, 09:12:

and how do you plan on taming the cell phone company ? rip out the cellular radio out of your phone ?

This. Baseband processor and its firmware is still an intruder in your phone, Which has complete privileges over the phone main SoC, including TrustZone and the hardware digital signature "vault". It can tattle on you to any remote actor with the proper keys, and can eFuse and disable your phone SoC if required, all remotely.

A true "foss" phone stars on an open BaseBand processor, radio and firmware to control said processor and radio. A "degoogled" AOSP on any device equipped or designed around a closed Baseband Processor is nothing but a bandaid on a dam crack.

Reply 172 of 261, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So the moral of the story is.... don't have cell phone if you are that worried about security.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 173 of 261, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hyoenmadan wrote on 2021-10-19, 17:16:

A true "foss" phone stars on an open BaseBand processor, radio and firmware to control said processor and radio. A "degoogled" AOSP on any device equipped or designed around a closed Baseband Processor is nothing but a bandaid on a dam crack.

So o o o o o o... use flex seal? 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 174 of 261, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

We are getting dangerously close to recommending tin foil hats 🤣

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 175 of 261, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote on 2021-10-19, 18:49:

faraday cage for your cell phone 😉

Do not ask Why !

Reply 176 of 261, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'll all be sorry when the Cylons arrive! 😉

But yes cell phones are conceptually fucked and the commercial world has the ever-vulnerable public gripped firmly by the short-and-curlys. Don't need to be a conspiracy theorist to see the species' fresh-minted addiction to expensive commodity devices which are obsolete within months and which companies retain commercial control over to manage however they choose* and take whatever data they want (until gradually forced back, only because they are discovered), and which, compared to a mere couple of decades ago, basically now rule the world's attention span as much as anything does.

That's before even getting into the security side of things, which is just... nasty.

But no no, no big deal to see here, nothing's happening! What are you crazy tin foil hat people worried about! 🤣

*right to repair is just one issue under this umbrella

Reply 177 of 261, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ehhh.. obsolete in a matter of months is kinda stretching it unless you buy the lowest tier phones available.

My wife kept her iPhone 6, which I bought her when it was first released, until the iPhone XI was out... and she didn't mind keeping it even longer but she was always out of space and the battery life had gotten pretty sad and it was starting to have random issues.

I usually keep my Android devices 2-3 years but have almost always gotten the mid-tier devices. This next go around I am planning on getting the Pixel 6 Pro which should hopefully last me at least 3-4 years.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 178 of 261, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2021-10-19, 19:10:
Dominus wrote on 2021-10-19, 18:49:

faraday cage for your cell phone 😉

Keep it in the microwave.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 179 of 261, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-10-19, 20:42:

You'll all be sorry when the Cylons arrive! 😉

I've been looking for a label for my disdain for the nightmare that is the modern pervasive internet and then I recalled how the Galactica wasn't networked. Adamaism.

I thought IBM was born with the world