VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This looks exciting .
Qualcomm planning ARM based CPU/SOC for the IBM compatible PC.
Although initially geared to laptops, who knows, maybe we could expect them for desktop too:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/552285/qualco … agon-chips.html

What are your toughts? Do you find interesting the idea of building ARM based desktop PCs?

Last edited by Con 2 botones on 2021-11-17, 13:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don’t think that would be IBM compatible, isn’t it? It would probably be “windows compatible” but the whole idea of IBM compatible was that it is able to run IBM PC software written for the x86 😉

Reply 2 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, it's a reaction to Apple switching to ARM on the Mac. Pressure on Intel and AMD is growing. Windows is already supported on ARM, so why not get a slice of the cake and have Windows machines running on ARM?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 3 of 13, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
digistorm wrote on 2021-11-17, 13:21:

I don’t think that would be IBM compatible, isn’t it? It would probably be “windows compatible” but the whole idea of IBM compatible was that it is able to run IBM PC software written for the x86 😉

Yes, you are right, it would be more like "Windows Compatible" ARM hardware. Let´s fix that title...
The problem is "PC" (Personal Computer) is too wide of a term. An Apple computer can be considered a personal computer too, can´t it?
What prevent us from calling a RaspberryPi 400, for instance, a "PC"?

Let´s reformulate...If there comes a time when we could acquire ARM compatible, regular desktop PC motherboards and CPU, and run Windows/GNU-Linux on it, would that be exciting to you?

Reply 4 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If there comes a time when we could acquire ARM compatible

I don't see anything exciting about it. x86 or ARM doesn't matter much at this point. Both are very old CPU architectures with piles of legacy stuff and workarounds.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 13, by happycube

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-11-17, 14:07:

I don't see anything exciting about it. x86 or ARM doesn't matter much at this point. Both are very old CPU architectures with piles of legacy stuff and workarounds.

64bit ARM is a significant reset that axed most of those... at least once 32-bit support is removed, which Apple has done and ARM's cores are gradually doing (starting with OS-side features)

And I was hoping this thread was about one of those early ARM2 ISA cards, such as the ChessMachine 😉

Reply 6 of 13, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-11-17, 14:07:

If there comes a time when we could acquire ARM compatible

Fair enough.
Given that lots of us, here at Vogons, find "exciting" building and tinkering with vintage systems, I would have tought we didn´t mind them being old CPU architectures and legacy stuff 😉

What If I changed "exciting" for "appealing"? "convenient"?

Reply 7 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"convenient"

Only if you don't play modern games =P Especially after desktop/server/console CPU unification.

Reply 8 of 13, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-11-17, 14:51:

"convenient"

Only if you don't play modern games =P Especially after desktop/server/console CPU unification.

Well, for certain scenarios, I would be happy with Retropie.
I believe Windows 11 and future Ubuntu builds are planning to be compatible with Android apps (not that Android games are very interesting but, it counts too).

Wasn´t the Amd K5 a RISC CPU?

Reply 9 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wasn´t the Amd K5 a RISC CPU?

Yes.

not that Android games are very interesting but, it counts too

We can finally play Kantai Collection officially! Huehuehue.

Reply 12 of 13, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2021-11-17, 15:22:
Con 2 botones wrote on 2021-11-17, 13:11:

This looks exciting

nah.

waiting for RISC V to take over.

even better!

Reply 13 of 13, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2021-11-17, 15:30:
AMD Experimented with hybrid x86+ARM CPUs a couple of years ago. I don't know what they did on that front since. […]
Show full quote

AMD Experimented with hybrid x86+ARM CPUs a couple of years ago. I don't know what they did on that front since.

amd-arm.png

I remember that on their roadmap announcement, but nothing related was launched though.