VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 141 of 182, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Matt The Soopaa pro wrote on 2021-11-28, 19:14:

does it work on dosbox? more especifically the dos version

Yes, it does work with Dosbox. I use Roland SOUND Canvas VA for MIDI playback.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 142 of 182, by MasterO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ericvids wrote on 2021-07-01, 05:39:
============== UPDATE: This project has now split into two: […]
Show full quote

==============
UPDATE: This project has now split into two:

wolfdosmpu: A simple fork of the original Wolf3D open-source release to add MPU-401 support.
wolfmidi: Converts the OPL2 music in Wolf3D/SOD to General MIDI, intended for use with wolfdosmpu or ECWolf.

Setup instructions:
wolfdosmpu: Select your game version's EXE file from here. You will need your original Wolf3D data files (.WL1/.WL6/.SDM/.SOD). (No need to replace the current executable, in case you want to revert to OPL2 music at any point).
wolfmidi: Unzip this wolfmidi.zip in your game directory. This creates a MUSIC\ subdirectory under it, for wolfdosmpu to find. (For use with ECWolf, don't unzip; just add the command line parameter "--file wolfmidi.zip" without quotes.)
==============

What version of wolfdosmpu do you use for the GOG Versions of Wolf3d and Spear of Destiny?

Reply 143 of 182, by ericvids

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MasterO wrote on 2021-11-29, 18:55:

What version of wolfdosmpu do you use for the GOG Versions of Wolf3d and Spear of Destiny?

For Wolfenstein 3-D full, check the logos that appear on your unmodified game's startup screen. If the right logo says "Apogee", use WOLF3DRW or WOLF3DRM. Otherwise, use WOLF3DCW or WOLF3DCM.
Minor update: I've confirmed that GOG uses the Activision version, so use the CW/CM versions. You can replace WOLF3D.EXE directly so that GOG's DOSBox launcher runs the mod instead of the original version.

For Spear of Destiny full, there's only one version of the data files, so you can use either SPEARCW or SPEARCM.
Minor update: I've discovered that GOG puts each mission in its own subdirectory, M1/M2/M3. You will need to drop SPEARCW/SPEARCM and the MUSIC directory from wolfmidi.zip into *each* of those subdirectories. You can replace SPEAR.EXE directly so that GOG's DOSBox launcher runs the mod instead of the original version.

As for whether you want W or M, W has support for WASD-style controls and the automap, while M just gives you MPU support and bugfixes.

Note: You will want to speed up GOG's DOSBox to get 70fps gameplay. Open dosbox_wolf3d.conf/dosbox_sod.conf in a text editor and replace "cycles=auto" with "cycles=max". (While you're there, replace "aspect=false" with "aspect=true" for proper 4:3 scaling.)

Reply 144 of 182, by ericvids

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HAPPY 30TH ANNIVERSARY, WOLFENSTEIN 3-D!

To celebrate the occasion, version 1.48 of wolfdosmpu is now up on github! (Yes, I'm back for now, wee!)

The big new feature is true savegame compatibility with the original WOLF3D.EXE and SPEAR.EXE! In case you have old savegames from the 90's, these will work now! Needless to say, much memory-pointer trickery was done to support these older-format savegames.

Note: Your existing wolfdosmpu savegames from versions 1.32 through 1.47 will also still work, but you need to rename them from SAVEGM_n.xxx to SAVEGAMn.xxx. i.e., the original name format before I changed it to protect people from corrupting their precious saves.
(example DOS command: "ren SAVEGM_0.WL6 SAVEGAM0.WL6")
The upside is that your savegames can now be synced to the cloud if you're using Steam or GOG! Also, when you re-save these games, they will also work on the original EXEs too! (Like magic!)

Other changes:

• Now makes the positions of keys (and the spear) always glow on the automap. This can help players find the map's "quickest-path" solution without obtaining all treasure.
  • Improved the distance attenuation range of sound effects (when playing on SB pro). The original attenuation lookup table was designed to minimize the volume of a sound at just 8 tiles away, which makes the sound falloff too short. This fix extends the range to 15 tiles, making sounds that are further away much more audible, while maintaining clear stereo separation. (This should be a better solution than the previous one implemented in 1.45.)
  • Added COMP 256 to revert to the old sound engine behavior, disabling the extended distance attenuation range and sound queueing -- for people who still prefer the vanilla sound behavior.
  • Fixed goobers/debugmode Tab+key cheats in the MPU-only EXEs.
  • Removed the extra player mark that appears on the automap while BJ is doing the victory jump.
  • Changed color of the ^ symbol in the stats to white (because people confuse it as a half-rendered 0).
  • Removed the extra keypress just after exiting Robert's Jukebox.
  • Now shows wolfdosmpu version at the sign-on screen instead of program exit.

Reply 146 of 182, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ericvids wrote on 2022-05-05, 08:16:

The big new feature is true savegame compatibility with the original WOLF3D.EXE and SPEAR.EXE! In case you have old savegames from the 90's, these will work now! Needless to say, much memory-pointer trickery was done to support these older-format savegames.

I knew that you could maintain savegame compatibility with vanilla Wolf3D after all! 😁

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 150 of 182, by ericvids

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Um... I'm back with yet another update. Sorry for the inconvenience. 😀

Version 1.49 is now available on github!

The big thing in this release is... fixed the engine's support for maximum view size, AKA "borderless" view!

1.png
Filename
1.png
File size
16.92 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Note that game logic determinism is slightly different on this view size. In fact, if you ever feel that the game plays differently, e.g., enemies take unusually more shots, it's probably due to your view size. This is a known problem of the vanilla Wolf3D engine, with the view size determining your exact shooting radius. To see the problem in action, play back the shareware version's first demo on different view sizes -- the demo ends sooner than normal at the maximum view size, when BJ misses a shot on a guard and tries to run past him instead.

Also note that I said I just "fixed" it. Turns out that the engine already had the capability -- you can hack the config to increment the view size and it will work on the vanilla EXE. However, there were some rendering bugs that came with it (which is probably why it was not made officially accessible):

• Fixed missing vertical wall lines/columns by disabling the related column-drawing optimization (but only for this view size). This eliminates no-clip-like artifacts when hugging walls at an angle, but note that this makes the game run a bit slower than vanilla, so only use the maximum view size if you don't mind (or notice) the performance penalty.
  • Now properly renders the view's bottom border. (This also entails erasing this border when the game goes into the Get Psyched, level completion and victory screens.)

Without fixes:

2.png
Filename
2.png
File size
9.41 KiB
Views
File license

With fixes:

3.png
Filename
3.png
File size
10.2 KiB
Views
File license

Other minor changes are:

• Expanded COMP 256 to include other sound fixes that potentially alter gameplay from the original (such as muted door re-opening, non-positioned pushwall sound, etc.).
  • Fixed some quirks when using the mouse to navigate menus (e.g., continuous triggering of options when the mouse button is held down).

Thanks to everyone who's still here following this pretty niche project. Haha! I think I've fulfilled every commenter's suggestions at this point! (Do correct me if I've missed something along the way...)

Reply 151 of 182, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excellent! That's my favorite view screen size. 👍

That bug that you displayed in the second picture reminds me of a fullscreen tutorial for Wolf3D that was from a defunct website from the author who created Wolf4SDL.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 152 of 182, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there a way to completely eliminate the status display (floor, score, lives, etc) for a completely full-screen rendered display? That would be most immersive of all. This can be done in Doom of course. Not sure of the Wolf3d engine supports it, but wanted to ask the question anyway.

Reply 153 of 182, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zyzzle wrote on 2022-05-09, 01:16:

Is there a way to completely eliminate the status display (floor, score, lives, etc) for a completely full-screen rendered display? That would be most immersive of all. This can be done in Doom of course. Not sure of the Wolf3d engine supports it, but wanted to ask the question anyway.

Yes. Here is an archived snapshot of the site that I was talking about: https://web.archive.org/web/20061005161644/ht … tware.de.vu:80/

Click "Tutorials" then select "Fullscreen". The screenshots are lost and later Wayback Machine snapshots doesn't work properly which is sad because it had the DeathCam bugfix. 🙁

On the flipside, it can also be adapted from Wolf4SDL.

Reply 154 of 182, by ericvids

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-05-09, 01:39:

Yes. Here is an archived snapshot of the site that I was talking about: https://web.archive.org/web/20061005161644/ht … tware.de.vu:80/

Thanks for this! I'll see what I can do to integrate this stuff in the next version.

Would you like this available with the MPU-only version as well? The borderless mode is already supported in both modern and MPU-only versions because players could technically enable it in the vanilla EXE, unlike with full screen. (I dunno, some people just might object to fullscreen's inclusion for "purity" reasons... but I think I wouldn't mind myself.)

Currently I'm also tracking down a funny problem with E2M8, where one door's side textures intermittently disappear:

1.png
Filename
1.png
File size
12.55 KiB
Views
File license
2.png
Filename
2.png
File size
13.22 KiB
Views
File license

P.S. It's funny that they figured out the exact same part of the code that was causing the no-clip artifacts, although we had different solutions for it. 😜 I'm gonna try to adopt their solution in my next version though because I think it may be a bit faster, but I'll benchmark first.

Reply 155 of 182, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ericvids wrote on 2022-05-09, 09:35:

Would you like this available with the MPU-only version as well? The borderless mode is already supported in both modern and MPU-only versions because players could technically enable it in the vanilla EXE, unlike with full screen. (I dunno, some people just might object to fullscreen's inclusion for "purity" reasons... but I think I wouldn't mind myself.)

I don't mind this either as long as the config file still works with the vanilla EXE.

Reply 156 of 182, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ericvids wrote on 2022-05-09, 09:35:

Thanks for this! I'll see what I can do to integrate this stuff in the next version.

Fabulous. Thanks for the efforts at getting a true fullscreen mode, and also for the code / archived link above. This project just gets more and more interesting and useful.

I certainly would like the option of true fullscreen and those who want "purity" may just not turn enable it. Nothing lost.

30 years on, and we're getting all these great "new" features and functionality. What a delight!

Reply 157 of 182, by ericvids

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ran into a snag with this...

I've technically got it working now on both MPU-only and modern versions, but the problem is that there's no easy way to look at your status (health, ammo, etc.) in the MPU-only version.

On the modern version, I added the status bar stats (except score, who needs that 😉 ) to the Tab screens, like this:

Completion stats version:

wolf3dcw_001.png
Filename
wolf3dcw_001.png
File size
17.74 KiB
Views
File license

Automap version:

wolf3dcw_000.png
Filename
wolf3dcw_000.png
File size
7.09 KiB
Views
File license

But for the MPU-only version, the game does not support the Tab screens. The modern version has a hefty routine specifically to handle the Tab screens alone (along with hacks to make it not interfere with the debug cheat codes, etc.). Adding all of that into the MPU-only version basically turns into, well, the modern version. 🙁

On top of this, fullscreen mode also increases the size of the auto-generated "scalers" that do the wall rendering, consuming up to 7 more 4KB RAM pages than borderless mode. This essentially makes it so that the MPU-only version is already struggling to keep up with just 570KB of memory (which is the baseline I have to maintain for memory compatibility with vanilla), and adding the Tab screen code pushes it above this limit.

I'm tempted to just keep the MPU-only version's fullscreen support barebones, i.e., it's still there, but there will be no way to see the status. (Note that DOOM allows you to see your status with the Tab key even on fullscreen. You won't even get that here...) If you REALLY want to see your stats, just go for the modern version.

Is this acceptable? Or do you have suggestions? (Or should I just remove it altogether from the MPU-only version?)

Reply 159 of 182, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For memory consumption, you could export the error messages ("Out Of Memory!", "Too many static objects!", etc) as a some sort of code into a new file and read that file on a separate executable so it can display the full message which is something that Blake Stone games did. The bad thing is that it would require a batch file where the ERRORLEVEL environment variable could be checked after exiting the game (Wolf3D already uses 1 if there is an error and 0 when exited successfully) and "purists" probably won't like this.

The fullscreen on the MPU-401 version can be kept barebones and the users can be warned that they won't be able to see the stats.