VOGONS

First post, by justmex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, as the title says, if one wants to have the best overall compatibility and performance with win9x titles, this is the combo to get?
My rationale after reading a lot of threads is this (bear with me):
AFAIK most "exclusive*" glide titles have low res textures that doesn't benefit with higher resolutions or doesn't have the option to scale beyond 640x480 so a voodoo2 should satisfy. e.g. nfsIIse, rtwc98.
For DX5,Dx6,Dx7 titles, FX5900 is the fastest without breaking compatibility.
Dx8 and up is XP territory.
I appreciate any suggestion you may have.

*I know some games received patches for D3D, albeit slower than glide, fx5900 should offset this penalty and therfore use DX render.

Reply 1 of 10, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With FX5900 you can also run nGlide wrapper . Basically, you run Windows XP + DX9 + nGlide and you can play about 99% Glide games provided modern installers (for example GOG). Benefits are 32-bit color and good performance with AA & AF turned on. I think both DX9 and nGlide can also be installed on Win 98. Phil tested it in one of his episodes.

Reply 2 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't forget about the FX5950 Ultra.

There are games that aren't Glide exclusive but still look better on Glide vs D3D IMO.

What are the specs of the rest of your system?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stef80 wrote on 2021-12-02, 20:03:

Benefits are 32-bit color and good performance with AA & AF turned on.

...I think you forget what a GeforceFX is. A Glide wrapper using DX9 won't do it favors either as there's shadery going on to emulate some of it

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stef80 wrote on 2021-12-03, 11:52:

FX does OK with nGlide., although quasi DX9. Phil tested FX5500, so FX5900 should kill it.

How much CPU does nGlide use? I've never used it so I have no idea.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 10, by justmex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just got for cheap a 9600xt to try nglide and seems to work fine, but I have no reference with a voodoo (ignorance is a bliss😁). Seems that a wrapper is all you need these days. I'll let you know when I get the FX. Thank you for your suggestions.

Reply 10 of 10, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been pairing a Voodoo2 with either GeForce3 or Quadro 2 Pro. These offer better performance in VGA modes than all GeForce FX cards for whatever reason, if you want to run DOS games.

At the point you get to GeForce FX, you really can just use wrappers. In fact, even the GeForce2 MX can use Zeckensack's wrapper to run Glide games written for Voodoo2-era hardware at very good speed, so you don't need much.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA