VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 41, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm perfectly ok with playing in square, like it was designed.

But its not issue of drivers cause blood without dgvoodoo works in square like it should. Only with this emulator it stretches.

Last edited by vorob on 2015-09-15, 09:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21 of 41, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vorob wrote:

I'm perfectly ok with playing in squake, like it was designed.

But its not issue of drivers cause blood without dgvoodoo works in square like it should. Only with this emulator it stretches.

That's because without dgVoodoo the game uses DirectX 6(?) and with dgVoodoo DirectX 11. The aspect ratio setting has no effect on Intel and AMD gpus for DirectX 10/11. It's also broken on Nvidia GPUs with latest drivers.

Reply 23 of 41, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Lynaryd wrote:

I have no idea why.....i was hoping you had the answer....

??? Who are your replying to ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 24 of 41, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Qbix wrote:
Lynaryd wrote:

Pretty sure he's a spambot, he has 5 other one line posts and posted a link to a server hosting company in the (probably now moved to moderation forums) Lands of Lore II topic.

Reply 25 of 41, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZellSF wrote:
Qbix wrote:
Lynaryd wrote:

Pretty sure he's a spambot, he has 5 other one line posts and posted a link to a server hosting company in the (probably now moved to moderation forums) Lands of Lore II topic.

I'm not convinced he is, they're all differently worded and consist almost entirely of kissing philscomputerlab's ass...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 26 of 41, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vorob wrote:

Hello, what should i press in this wondefull dgvoodoo to have fixed aspect raio? Cause for now it stretches 4:3 resolution to my 16:9 monitor.

Run the setup utility and specify scaling mode?
I mean.. it seems pretty easy imo. Or perhaps check graphics card control panel

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 27 of 41, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to play the Blood II demo at 1600x1200 all the time back in the early to mid-2000s. No patches, hacks, or workarounds were required. Running it in 32-bit XP on a Sandy Bridge CPU and Geforce 700-series card, however, results in the well-documented crashes at vertical resolutions exceeding 1,000. Does anyone know the exact hardware transition point when this occurred?

Since people like posting system specs:

LGA 2011
Core i7 Sandy Bridge @ 3.6 ghz
4 GB of RAM in quad-channel
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
Dual-booting WinXP Integral Edition and Win7 Pro 64-bit
-----
XP compatibility is the hill that I will die on.

Reply 28 of 41, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WDStudios wrote on 2021-12-10, 09:47:

I used to play the Blood II demo at 1600x1200 all the time back in the early to mid-2000s. No patches, hacks, or workarounds were required. Running it in 32-bit XP on a Sandy Bridge CPU and Geforce 700-series card, however, results in the well-documented crashes at vertical resolutions exceeding 1,000. Does anyone know the exact hardware transition point when this occurred?

Why not use a proxy DLL from Ddrawcompat or dgvoodoo2 or wined3d?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 29 of 41, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2021-12-10, 10:40:

Why not use a proxy DLL from Ddrawcompat

Because I've never heard of it and have no idea what you're talking about?

LGA 2011
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
-----

Reply 30 of 41, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would assume your memory is just faulty.

Reply 31 of 41, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2021-12-10, 19:10:

You assume incorrectly.

LGA 2011
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
-----

Reply 32 of 41, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WDStudios wrote on 2021-12-10, 18:50:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2021-12-10, 10:40:

Why not use a proxy DLL from Ddrawcompat

Because I've never heard of it and have no idea what you're talking about?

Here is dgVoodoo2: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/
DDrawCompat: https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases
WineD3D: https://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag

For all of these, you need to extract the ddraw.dll to the game folder, in the same folder level as your main executable (and not any launcher if present).
For WineD3D, you will also need to extract wined3d.dll in the same place as ddraw.dll. For dgVoodoo2, you may need to extract the D3DImm.DLL with ddraw.dll if the game utilises D3D (I am quite sure it would).

WDStudios wrote on 2021-12-11, 04:00:

You assume incorrectly.

You cannot rule out a memory fault, which might be a faulty VRAM too. You can stress test your GPU to confirm it, but I would rather prefer using the proxy DLLs before stressing your GPU. If problem still persists, your next option may be to use DxWnd and see if it exists there and it it does, you can output Debug logs with it, this can be explained if the previous ones don't fix your issue.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 33 of 41, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WDStudios wrote on 2021-12-11, 04:00:

You assume incorrectly.

You're that confident you 100% remember what resolution you played a video game at in the mid-2000s? I don't believe you.

Edit: Since you're listening to BEEN_Nath_58, you might be looking for a solution to this problem and not just asking questions, in which case, Dege has patched Blood 2 to support higher resolutions: http://dege.freeweb.hu/Patches/patches/

IMO it's rather pointless on modern computers since using dgVoodoo2 to force resolution is a better solution because it gives you proper UI scaling.

Reply 34 of 41, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2021-12-11, 05:03:
Here is dgVoodoo2: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/ DDrawCompat: https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases Wine […]
Show full quote

Here is dgVoodoo2: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/
DDrawCompat: https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases
WineD3D: https://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag

For all of these, you need to extract the ddraw.dll to the game folder, in the same folder level as your main executable (and not any launcher if present).
For WineD3D, you will also need to extract wined3d.dll in the same place as ddraw.dll. For dgVoodoo2, you may need to extract the D3DImm.DLL with ddraw.dll if the game utilises D3D (I am quite sure it would).

That's cool, and thanks for pointing those out, but the problem already has a known solution/workaround that doesn't require downloading anything.

BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2021-12-11, 05:03:

You cannot rule out a memory fault, which might be a faulty VRAM too. You can stress test your GPU to confirm it, but I would rather prefer using the proxy DLLs before stressing your GPU. If problem still persists, your next option may be to use DxWnd and see if it exists there and it it does, you can output Debug logs with it, this can be explained if the previous ones don't fix your issue.

It's a well-known bug with a documented solution/workaround. I don't think it's specific to my hardware.

ZellSF wrote on 2021-12-11, 09:57:

You're that confident you 100% remember what resolution you played a video game at in the mid-2000s?

Yes. My first two laptops were a Dell Inspiron 8200 and an Alienware Area-51m, both of which had 1600x1200 LCDs, and my desktop monitors at the time likewise were all capable of 1600x1200. I played EVERY shooter - and every other game with an adjustable resolution, like Civ 4 - at 1600x1200. No exceptions. I went through a little homeless period in the 2010s where I had to rely on cheap or donated monitors of other resolutions, but now that I have money again, guess what resolution my current monitor is?

I absolutely, positively, definitely played Blood II at 1600x1200 on my Inspiron 8200, my Alienware, and my Socket 940 Opteron system with its ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 Pro.

LGA 2011
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
-----

Reply 35 of 41, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking at "recent" Civvie 11 playthrough/review of Blood II, I'm starting to suspect that vanilla LithTech engine does not like fast hardware at all, which affects game logic, i.e. random damage spikes, enemy reaction and other weird bugs. Because it plays reasonably fine on P-III 600 Mhz, not bugfree, but not on a scale of full "rawpocalypse".

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 36 of 41, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WDStudios wrote on 2021-12-12, 08:35:

I absolutely, positively, definitely played Blood II at 1600x1200 on my Inspiron 8200, my Alienware, and my Socket 940 Opteron system with its ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 Pro.

I didn't believe you in the first place, so you wanted to make it seem even less believable by saying you remember the exact resolution you played a random game on on three different systems? To be clear, this isn't meant to be an insult to you, lots of people remember things that didn't happen very clearly. Memory's funny.

At any rate, if you really want to know, send a PM to Dege? He might have some clue what causes it, and in what ways it might be hardware specific (again; I doubt it is, and even if it is I don't believe your recollection of it).

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-12-12, 12:49:

Looking at "recent" Civvie 11 playthrough/review of Blood II, I'm starting to suspect that vanilla LithTech engine does not like fast hardware at all, which affects game logic, i.e. random damage spikes, enemy reaction and other weird bugs. Because it plays reasonably fine on P-III 600 Mhz, not bugfree, but not on a scale of full "rawpocalypse".

The engine has some framerate dependent things, Civvie 11 is not the most technical Youtuber I know of so he might have not enabled the framerate limiter. I think the game should behave correctly at 60 FPS though. Since framerate is known to affect things, it is possible it's less buggy at 30 FPS, but I would understand avoiding that unless we're talking about game breaking bugs.

Reply 37 of 41, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll be resurrecting my Socket 940 system soon enough so I'll be able to confirm that my memories are correct.

Manually capping the frame rate at 60 in a config file is part of the standard workaround to get Blood II running on modern machines so the frame rate is definitely part of the puzzle. DirectX 6 commands, optimized Surfaces, poly gap fixing, and triple buffering are other pieces. And according to some sources, it's a problem that only happens on GeForce cards, going at least as far back as the GeForce 6800, and is the result of a bug in nVidia's Vsync implementation. I unfortunately don't have any modern Radeon cards with which to test that hypothesis, though I do have a Bulldozer-based APU laying around. Give me a week or two to buy some extra parts and I can tell you what luck I get with different hardware configurations.

LGA 2011
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
-----