VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

for old linux try redhat or suse for soft landing (do not try softlanding however) or slackware for a hard landing
for modern linux i can only recommend a few that i tried - mint, suse for binary distros and gentoo/funtoo for source
and when at it - i recommend you try freebsd for a desktop driver, its much better than i ever thought possible

Reply 21 of 22, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mrau wrote on 2021-12-14, 08:09:

for old linux try redhat or suse for soft landing (do not try softlanding however) or slackware for a hard landing
for modern linux i can only recommend a few that i tried - mint, suse for binary distros and gentoo/funtoo for source
and when at it - i recommend you try freebsd for a desktop driver, its much better than i ever thought possible

I keep hearing this. I've used Linux on and off for 20 years now, and never tried BSD. Maybe I really ought to install and try out FreeBSD on a VM..

Starts downloading FreeBSD 13.0 x64 and VirtualBox 6.1

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22 of 22, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Window Maker is what I used on Red Hat 7.3 on my 2o0mmx box. Removed all the heavy cruft-Nautilus, Gnome, and heaps of others. Quite happy with it being my first dedicated Linux system. I still have that hard drive in storage which works perfectly.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉