Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 41560 of 52354, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2021-12-18, 18:34:

Probably early VGA resolution, like 800x600 or thereof.

Yes, common with late EGA clones, but...
why the 50 MHz crystal?
800x600x56 Hz needs 36 MHz
50 MHz would suggest much more
I can't see any clockchip there... perhaps it's integrated into that D10 chip? But it's from 1990 - not too early for that?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 41561 of 52354, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm... Good question. The one card I have can do up to 800x600 on the fly. I'll do more research and see.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 41562 of 52354, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, that's definitely not an original EGA, having parallel port integrated...
From what I was able to find about DIP switches it should be able to drive 40x25 and 80x25 color monitors, CGA emulation on EGA monitor, and some "monochrome + CGA 40x25 / CGA 80x25" monitors.

Reply 41563 of 52354, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got some interesting cards in the last few weeks. Maybe someone here can say more about them.

Attachments

Reply 41564 of 52354, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Turbo -> wrote on 2021-12-18, 21:20:

Got some interesting cards in the last few weeks. Maybe someone here can say more about them.

#2 seems to be some kind of graphics card (notice the AVGA1 and Number Nine chips), but it's not a standard VGA, probably some type of accelerator or professional equipment?

#3 is clearly an Adaptec AHA-1740 EISA SCSI controller

#4 and #5 are ISA SBCs that you can plug into a backplane

Not sure about #1 though

Reply 41565 of 52354, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

#1 is IBM token ring card. I have one just like that. Pretty useless thing, but the PCB is really cool looking. I've been meaning to frame it and hang it on the wall 😀

Reply 41567 of 52354, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2021-12-18, 17:05:
No, he's actually right. […]
Show full quote

No, he's actually right.

The SI5PI was before the PCChips merger so no issue with it.

The K7S5A however, is one of the VERY VERY few boards that were actually decent in the post-PCChips merger. The other few I know of were the K7S6A (SiS748 I think?), K7VZA (KT133) and that's about it.
Oh, and their whole Socket 370 lineage wasn't bad either, as long as they weren't horribly crippled iGPU SiS chipsets (VIA was a bit better in that regard - not by much but miles better than SiS' absolutely abysmal iGPU performance.)

I don't know when ECS switched to purple PCBs but that seems to be when the problems started, their Socket 478 and 462 boards of that era were not good.

Reply 41569 of 52354, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote on 2021-12-18, 21:50:

#2 seems to be some kind of graphics card (notice the AVGA1 and Number Nine chips), but it's not a standard VGA, probably some type of accelerator or professional equipment?

Number Nine GXi
AVGA1 a.k.a. CL-GD5401 provides VGA compatibility
the lacking chip should be TMS-34020, ie. TIGA graphics coprocessor
overall, one of the most powerful graphics cards for ISA

Number_Nine_Computer_9GXi_View2_20161024153058.jpg
Filename
Number_Nine_Computer_9GXi_View2_20161024153058.jpg
File size
38.5 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 41570 of 52354, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2021-12-19, 07:22:

the lacking chip should be TMS-34020, ie. TIGA graphics coprocessor

Will the card work without the chip? What is the other socket on the left side reserved for?

Last edited by Turbo -> on 2021-12-19, 08:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 41572 of 52354, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote on 2021-12-19, 08:08:

As a paperweight, probably.

finding drivers for that card is likely to take more time than the card is actually worth, but it would be fun seeing it run.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-12-20, 08:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 41573 of 52354, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I picked up a number of things recently, just now have time to play with/ post about them.

First thing is that, purely by chance, I got myself the user's manual for my Gorilla Banana printer!
I've been wanting a PC compatible version of my old CBM 1525 printer for years. I was looking for a Tandy DMP100, when I came across the Gorilla Banana.
Brings back a memory from when I was in college, I was living in a converted motel room, and in one of the magazines they were advertising the Gorilla Banana, and I can remember thinking what a crazy name it was. I can even remember that I came across the ad at night.

I'd had some problems talking to the printer (it's like 7-pin, can't find any matching DOS or Win95 drivers... maybe the Okimate10 drivers would work, if I could find them), and was searching online for printouts of the Tandy or CBM versions of the manual, when the ebay auction popped up. I grabbed the manual fast 🤣

Gorilla_Banana_manual.jpg
Filename
Gorilla_Banana_manual.jpg
File size
57.86 KiB
Views
File comment
Gorilla Banana printer manual cover
File license
Public domain

Reply 41574 of 52354, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love my Tandy 1000hx. I've been slowly getting accessories and peripherals for it (like the printer above); a CGP-115 plotter, A deluxe mouse, and I've been keeping my eye out for a bargain on a Koalapad.
I've been wanting to get a joysick for it, but they're holding out at a bit more than I want to pay (just a bit...) I've considered making a PC joystick-to-T1000hx adapter, but I don't want to risk damaging my T1000hx.
So when I saw a joystick for sale for about half the going rate on ebay... I grabbed it.
Wasn't til I'd already paid for it that I saw that the tip of the stick was broken off.
Rather than become gloomy, I decided to design and 3D print a joystick cover for it.
(I'll post pix of that once I get it done...)
So... to paraphrase John McClain at this festive time of year... "Now I have a joystick... ho ho ho".

Tandy_Joystick_03.jpg
Filename
Tandy_Joystick_03.jpg
File size
67.28 KiB
Views
File comment
far-shot of tandy joystick (see the tip cut off?)
File license
Public domain
Tandy_Joystick_02.jpg
Filename
Tandy_Joystick_02.jpg
File size
167.34 KiB
Views
File comment
close-up of tandy joystick (see the tip cut off?)
File license
Public domain

Reply 41576 of 52354, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hamby wrote on 2021-12-19, 08:34:

The nice thing is, I can design the joystick cover to be like a golf tee, or a round ball, or a baseball bat... or print a variety of styles for different games as suits me.

That is a great idea, wish I had a 3d printer myself there are a lot of case mods I would love designing and printing, I know this might be off topic but what would you recommend as a good starting 3d printer, one that is capable yet wont break the bank.

I have a few retro mouse cases I want to design and throw on a modern optical/laser base .. like the old Microsoft and Logitech mice, also would mind taking a stab at key caps.

Reply 41577 of 52354, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, there are getting to be more and more under the $250 mark.
I got myself an Anet E16 (Don't think you can find that model anymore, they have newer and better ones, though), and I've been happy with it.
If you look on YouTube, Ben Heck just did a review of yet another 3D printer... and I'm sure he's done some in the past.
I got the Anet E16 because it had a large work volume... 300mm x 300mm x 400mm. Printing a decent sized object can take several hours. Say, a box the size of a cell phone case might take 3 or 4 hours for the whole thing. That's the nature of 3d printing. I expect my joystick cover to take about an hour or so.

Reply 41578 of 52354, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I saw this ISA I/O board on ebay at what seemed a reasonable price, and so I grabbed it for future builds. It was complete in the box with all documentation, etc.
One thing I'm curious about... it has a gameport/MIDI port. My sound card also has a game/midi port...is there a way to adjust the IRQs and other settings to use both without conflict? I can't think of a single game that would use 4 joysticks, but I could use one for joysticks, the other for midi.

SIIG_IO_Board_front.jpg
Filename
SIIG_IO_Board_front.jpg
File size
158.96 KiB
Views
File comment
SIIG multi-io board with serial, parallel and game ports
File license
Public domain
SIIG_IO_Board_back.jpg
Filename