VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox Feature Request Thread

Topic actions

Reply 280 of 298, by TrDy73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It would have been nice to have a command line option within DosBox to rotate mounted CD's (CTRL-F4), this way you could force a specific active image in the cd drive.

imgmount d "isoimage1.cue" "isoimage2.cue" "isoimage3.cue" -t cdrom
imgmount d /select 1 -> selects isoimage1.cue
imgmount d /select 2 -> selects isoimage2.cue
imgmount d /select 3 -> selects isoimage3.cue
imgmount d /select -> return which image selected 1,2 or 3.....
imgmount d /selected -> return which image name selected

Reply 282 of 298, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About the awe32 mode - I just realized that's the sound canvas mode for most games. Using sound canvas soundfonts in General MIDI mode doesn't sound very good.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 283 of 298, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AWE32 drivers in games call the AWE directly. It's not synonymous with general midi / soundcanvas midi output (which the AWE could also use).

Often the major difference is some of the DOS games that have explicit AWE support have to do with loading special soundfont files (.sbk) to either use it for specially composed music with them (i..e. Hi-Octane) , or just spatial, filtered "3D!" sound effects (i.e. Eradicator).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 284 of 298, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only manual for an AWE32 I've found online says it uses sf2 soundfonts. I'm wondering if sbk were prototypes that were never released? Anyway, the ambiguity of the color of the Steiner fist at the beginning of Battletech Crescent Hawk's Inception has made me think that DOS was never implemented correctly. So the mission is partially to correct what DOS went wrong. The highest DOS resolution I've found is 640X400 (Menzoberanzan), with most games being 320X240. Games in 640X480 appear to be Windows 3.1 games. I see DOSbox now appears to be displaying the games at 4X original resolution. I wouldn't do that unless I wired it so that the game really appears in higher than orignal resolution. Should be possible.

640X400 extends to 1920X1200, which is the resolution of the display I am using. Games were meant for a 16X10 aspect ratio.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 285 of 298, by Roxor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dnewhous wrote on 2022-06-13, 07:23:

640X400 extends to 1920X1200, which is the resolution of the display I am using. Games were meant for a 16X10 aspect ratio.

No, they were designed for a 4:3 display, with pixels that weren't square.

640*400 on a 4:3 display gives pixels that are 1.2 times taller than they are wide. 640*480 on a 4:3 display will give you square pixels.

An integer resize from 640*400 to 3200*2400 would get you the correct ratio for both overall display and individual pixels. Each source pixel would end up as a 5*6 block in the destination image. 640*480 can also be integer resized to 3200*2400, and will give 5*5 pixel blocks.

Reply 286 of 298, by dontbugster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried using my original CDs, but lot of games like 'Screamer Rally' do not detect the original CD.
I guess it's related to some low level anti-piracy detection they use.

A feature of more direct access to CD would be perfect.

Reply 287 of 298, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That‘s mostly helped by using the correct label on moubtibg or even better by imaging the CD as a bin/cue image

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 288 of 298, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! I request that the following feature be added to DOSBox and DOSBox-X: I want an option to open a program with a .conf file of the user's choice. For example, if I want a program to open for a Pentium and a Super VGA at one time and a 386 with VGA for another time, I want to be able to make the determination from the Windows file class menu. Also, I want to be able to change the default .conf file for a specific program. That's all.

BTW, I like DOSBox and DOSBox-X and use them often. I also like Win16 emulation. 😀 I really want to emulate Win98SE on DOSBox-X also but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 289 of 298, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I may misunderstand but you can set your default conf and set specific confs in the commandline options.

Also, DOSBox-X is a fork and has its own thread but apart from that thread this forum is only for DOSBox.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 290 of 298, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want to choose the .conf file to use when I right-click a DOS program to run and change the default .conf file for a specific program.

Reply 291 of 298, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That's where a launcher comes into play, I'd say

Reply 292 of 298, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're right, and I'm sorry for wasting your time. 🙁 I have a few launchers on my computer but never use them. I prefer right clicking a file and choosing Run in DOSBox. I also added the option to run a program from the Windows Shell. Should I create a program to add such functionality and my requests to DOSBox? It would take a lot of effort, but I believe I can do it with a link to Win32 C docs online. BTW, if a particular launcher already supports this, which one?

Reply 293 of 298, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'd take a look at DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend) but I don't use those 😀

Reply 295 of 298, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On Windows, you can make multiple shortcuts in the Send To folder to accomplish this (i.e. sending exes to DOSBox, in which it'll work like a drag and drop, and handle the mounting automatically and start it).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 297 of 298, by zaphod77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CQM emulation, since many older computers had sound cards from creative with this.

Mainly so i can do tempest 2000's soundtrack, which is one of those games that sounds QUITE different with a CQM card instead of an actual OPL2, and that's what i first heard the games music on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZVHOFijsgE the only public recording of any tune from this game remaining on a CQM card, which sounds very different from an actual opl2.

Reply 298 of 298, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Excuse the OT please, but would anyone who downloaded the dual monitor utilities mentioned in first post..

DosFreak wrote on 2005-01-17, 07:06:
[…]
Show full quote

... please be so kind as to attach them to a post in How to get a secondary monochrome monitor working in DOS and how to connect it to a modern display? and continue any further discussion on the matter there or in like posts? TIA

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.