VOGONS

First post, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, So I have a PC with a turbo display on the case, and an ASUS P2P-B board.
The motherboard obviously doesn't have any headers for a turbo display, as it has no need of one.
I do not know what model of display I have, as I cannot find anything that looks the same online. It doesn't seem to be one featured on http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/led_speed_dis … eed_display.htm

IMG_20211110_113513.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211110_113513.jpg
File size
147.78 KiB
Views
File comment
display outside
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20211110_185646.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211110_185646.jpg
File size
403.82 KiB
Views
File comment
display inside
File license

For reference, the middle set of pins are:
L- L+ (turbo led)
T G N (turbo switch)
G +5 (panel power)

Power is connected to an adapter for a floppy drive power cable.
The turbo switch has two sets of wires coming from it, one short one that connects to the panel, and a longer one that would go to the motherboard.

It seems that the switch being connected to the display isn't enough, as I can get the display elements to show when jumpered to 'always on', but when jumpered to a turbo state, neither works.
What I want to do though, is use the turbo switch to change the display when pressed, but it seems the display is also requiring something from the motherboard to show the correct state.

IMG_20220102_204600~2.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220102_204600~2.jpg
File size
102.96 KiB
Views
File comment
high low state
File license

Does anyone know how I could rig something to make the turbo switch change the display in this situation, where there is no motherboard connection?
Or have I totally misunderstood something, and it should be working anyway?

Last edited by RockstarRunner on 2022-01-03, 14:37. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had once similar problem. As far as I remember, it didn't show (some?) digits in other position. I had to remove 7-segment display to find a burned track under. I guess someone had connected something in the wrong way or to wrong connector.. I don't know. Anyway, it works correctly now.

I believe it doesn't need motherboard connection to work properly. I have that same case somewhere, don't remember has it the same display though. This looks quite the same, but maybe your version is with additional config for 'hundreds'? http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/led_speed_dis … 0-%20GT-569.gif

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 3 of 7, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm going to need to edit the title of this topic, as I think this is down to a faulty display.
I can tell the display elements are all working, and that the switch itself is working, it's just not handling the switch state, somewhere in the display.
I will take it to my friend to have it looked at, and failing that, guess I will look for another display on ebay.

Reply 4 of 7, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shouldn't need any signal from the motherboard. The turbo switch in one position should short white-orange, and in the other position short white-black. On the display PCB, the turbo ground and power ground should be connected. The jumpers then connect each display LED element either directly to ground (so LED on all the time), or to the 'N' pin (so LED on if 'N' is shorted to 'G', via the turbo switch), or to the 'T' pin (on if turbo switch shorts 'T' to 'G').

It looks like it's a 2.5 digit, so can show '1' for the hundreds. So it's likely that the bottom row of pins is for the tens and hundreds and the top row for the units. Bottom row you can make a reasonable guess about how it's connected up, but the top row has a couple of possible layouts. I've had a go a sketching out what I think are the possibilities, showing the two options for the Units digit. I've also guessed which way around the 'T' and 'N' positions are, but that doesn't matter too much. The important bit is that if you want a segment to light up (either always, or just in normal mode, or just in turbo mode) then there should be a jumper on the lettered pin.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 7, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks so much, Snufkin, turned out it was a simple as that! I had misread the top set of jumpers upside down, and the top most layout in your diagram was correct in this case.

IMG_20220103_162634__01~2.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220103_162634__01~2.jpg
File size
697.24 KiB
Views
File comment
correct jumpers
File license
IMG_20220103_163014~2.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220103_163014~2.jpg
File size
466.39 KiB
Views
File comment
P2
File license
IMG_20220103_162953~2.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220103_162953~2.jpg
File size
610.01 KiB
Views
File comment
P3
File license

I feel dumb for getting it wrong, but I'm happy now that I can have this entirely useless display working for when I switch processors 😀

Reply 6 of 7, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice. It's 1 faster. "Put your helmet on; we'll be reaching speeds of 3".

It's not as if there are any silkscreen markings to give a clue, so at the point (without tracing PCB traces) you've got a 50/50 guess, and if you guess wrong then the side effect is that either 'T' or 'N' gets shorted to 'G' through a misplaced jumper, rather than the switch. Which means it behaves like the switch doesn't work.

Reply 7 of 7, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RockstarRunner wrote on 2022-01-03, 14:36:

but I'm happy now that I can have this entirely useless display working for when I switch processors 😀

If you are feeling adventurous you could hook up the second turbobutton wire to the FS2 pins on the frequency selector jumperblock on the motherboard.
Via reconfiguring the turbo led you can toggle between fsb 66MHz and fsb 100MHz. Just don't do that when the machine is running.