VOGONS

Common searches

The dark side of playing computer games?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are there any negative effects of playing computer games too much?

Reply 1 of 18, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When combined with bad diet it'll eventually result in significant increase in one's physical volume, and there can be social and economic problems, depending on how much time and money gets spent 🤣

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 18, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doing too much of anything is bad. At the very least you lose time you could spend on other things that may be more beneficial to you on the long term.
Specifically gaming, though its true for anything non-social passtimes, if you do it too much growing up instead of socializing, you'll have underdeveloped social skills which will kick you in the ass.
Though in the past decade social media overtook gaming on this front.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 4 of 18, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's not a "too much" if 8 hours sleep in 24 hours and a couple of meals or three and adequate hydration happen. There has been instances of dudes dying of heart attack or heart failure from doing marathon no-sleep sessions fuelled by energy drinks and salty junk. Also moving around regularly is recommended to prevent blood clots in the legs (which might shoot you in the head or other vital organ)

Other bad things are not related to video games per se, but to obsessive behavior, i.e. declining personal relationships, hygiene, neglect of responsibilities.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 18, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your son might think you were long dead and refused to accept the fact when you told him "I am your father."

Seriously, there are thousands of academic, eye-catchy, or fear-mongering articles in the past 50+ years on this topic; what's the point asking it again in a forum known as "very old games on new systems?"

Reply 6 of 18, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Muz wrote on 2022-01-16, 14:46:

- You will miss out on time with your children and/or wife/girlfriend.
- Neglect practical jobs around the house, ending up living like a pig.
- Loose time that you would use on a job, and ultimately get fired.
- Not getting enough to eat. Loosing sleep.
- Being asocial with your circles of friends and family.

Those are the downsides of too much gaming. And NO. You will totally not become a psychotic mass murder, getting rid of the bodies by chainsaw and acid.
Those are urban legends and have no hold in reality. Unless of course you are mentally unstable in a big way in the first place.

Everything in life is healthy, if done in moderations. Yes, even a cigar if you smoke one cigar a year. Then it is good for mentality and soul, body can survive.
Just be aware not to smoke anything at all, if you live close to air polution. Even poeple who had never smoked, die from lounge cancer due to diesel particles.
Everything in moderation.... Everything.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 18, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Muz wrote on 2022-01-16, 14:46:

The thing is that computer games are designed to be played "too much".

So, if you're not planning to just admire them as a pure pieces of art only, you have to choose only between (1) to play too much or (2) not to play at all.

In my case, I just don't find computer games attractive enough (new ones, old ones ... doesn't matter). This is because I find a real life being much more complicated, colorful, interesting and thus more attractive than computer games.

Regarding "any negative effects" of playing computer games - we live in the world where everyone has to decide what is positive for him and what is negative by himself.

Reply 9 of 18, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have any sense of self-control or discipline, games are no different from any other form of entertainment. This is especially true with computer games, since they typically allow you to save at any time, and many games are designed with "natural" stopping points (for example, at the end of your turn in a strategy game). I'd argue they are much easier to enjoy in small doses than watching TV, for instance, which requires a 1 hour minimum investment for most shows, or 1.5-2 hours minimum investment to watch a movie.

Of course, this doesn't take into account games with gambling elements like loot boxes, which are expressly designed to get a small percentage of players completely addicted.

Last edited by newtmonkey on 2022-01-20, 15:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 18, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Too much of anything is good for nothing, as the saying goes.

Saying that, I learnt a lot from computer games - language, vocabulary and general knowledge. As an example, I learnt what "rubble" means from Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. (FYI, English is not my primary language.)

I guess it's how you use the information and utility available to you. - You can use the knife available in your kitchen to either cut the vegetables or use as a murder weapon.... it's how you look at the things available to you.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 13 of 18, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Imho just like any other distractions, when the distractions increase too much might change the usual list of everyday priorities where time is the big factor. At the end I found that I'm more interested in the hardware itself and the tech knowledges because at least something remains from reading/tests/installations experience; the number of game/retrogames that hardware run is more "to test the hardware itself" than the videogame itself. In last two decades only a couple of videogames I did finish with the right focus, most other times I'd get bored. This happens because after a certain life point there's not anymore imho (and probably it's just the mind evolution) the right 'mind setting/feeling' to actually enjoy any videogame (for example) without thinking to real life problems, when instead in the past most probably had the required patience, time, etc..

Last edited by 386SX on 2022-01-20, 16:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 18, by schlomoe99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It depends. Do you play enough that it becomes a vice for you? Remember, your vices owe you nothing, and you will never regain the time you spend on games. Occasional play is fine, but don't let it get in the way of school, work, love, and life.

Reply 15 of 18, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't forget though that excessive gaming is a gateway drug to nachos, which is a gateway drug to the devils lettuce, and from that a small step to ending up dead in an alley with a needle in your arm. 😉

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.