VOGONS

First post, by Gazirra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had posted awhile ago about putting together my first 486, but I didn't have pictures for the issue I was having.
I had bought the parts off of a FB group I'm in, and they should be enough to build a functioning system. I had had a recommendation to use a P8P9 power adapter so I wouldn't need to directly plug into the outlet. So, I got in the adapter along with a switch I could use to power the motherboard on so that I could see that it works.
I got the wrong switch type, so I had a buddy of mine modify what I got so that it could be used to ascertain whether or not the MB worked.
I plugged everything in, added a graphics card and CRT monitor, and tried it all out. Nothing seems to have happened. The monitor still reads "no signal," and I don't know how else to check to see if things were working.
Below are some pictures of the setup. If you need more, let me know and I'll provide more.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 6, by kikipcs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gazirra wrote on 2022-02-04, 04:03:

I don't know if it's jumped properly...
And where would the speaker go?

Speaker.png
Filename
Speaker.png
File size
6.58 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Somewhere in this row of headers.

For the jumpers, your board looks like the QDI VL/ISA-PB486P3. (confirm with the markings on your board)

You can find the manual and jumper settings for it here: https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/5568

Reply 4 of 6, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does the power supply fan start to spin? If not, the motherboard is shorted, PSU is broken or you have wrong type of switch (and make sure the power switch on back of the PSU is also turned on). First thing is to get the PSU to work.

Reply 6 of 6, by kikipcs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gazirra wrote on 2022-02-04, 19:20:

What sort of switch should I buy?

You'd be safest with getting an AT power supply just to check if the board is working.

And check if the voltages are OK on the main power rails with your PSU. Or check if it boots with an ATX board.