Common searches

indirect sound

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 228, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About Far Cry *64* I can confirm there's no EAX in game, but DSOAL (64 bit build)+OpenAL Soft (64 bit build) can give you multichannel audio (sort of -> ambience sounds + player's weapons fire sounds):

Untitled.jpg

So indirect sound 64 (if jonpol will provide it one day in the future) can do that too.

Reply 201 of 228, by jonpol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just for posterity's sake for anyone reading this in the future, some of the talk about EAX and Far Cry 64 bits are continuations of a different discussion here:
Re: Far Cry
If you're interested, future person, that thread might give some more context 😀

Reply 203 of 228, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jonpol wrote on 2022-02-03, 18:36:

Just for posterity's sake for anyone reading this in the future, some of the talk about EAX and Far Cry 64 bits are continuations of a different discussion here:
Re: Far Cry
If you're interested, future person, that thread might give some more context 😀

Yes.

Simple solution: forget about old 64 bit games, and specifically for Far Cry 2004 (32 bit) use this: https://www.moddb.com/mods/farout-widescreen

AND Indirect Sound or DSOAL. All problems solved about that old lad :p

Reply 205 of 228, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sure FC will get a proper remaster at 64-bit at some point, as Crysis did. It makes no sense to leave that game on the table, when it's so classic and people want a good single-player FPS game. I'm sure with some code polishing and replacement, it could be put out on today's systems.

Reply 207 of 228, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kappa971 wrote on 2022-02-04, 14:37:

Far Cry 64 bit has better performance if you play at high fps (e.g. 144 fps)

Just compile the shaders with the new fxc.exe from the lastest Windows 10 Kit......no need to use the 2004 fxc you see in the bin32/bin64 folder :p

In fact you can literally whipe out the Shaders folder you see in the root of the game and then recreate it just putting the "impossible to compile" shaders in it.
Here's the files (delete the Shaders folder, re-create it and put into the new folder the content of the zip): https://www.mediafire.com/file/8ov50wai ... ).zip/file
All the other shaders will be recompiled at the game start/first level loading.

Files from the Steam release.

Just get fxc.exe from the lastest Windows 10 dev kit.

Reply 208 of 228, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote on 2022-02-04, 15:29:

Crytek must buy the rights from Ubisoft before doing that......

Ubisoft can do it themselves by simply updating the code for FarCry Classic, to use the newer PC-based hardware and bring the full FarCry experience to modern gamers. They have not only the rights to FarCry, but also the rights to the CryTek engine, which they modded into the Dunia Engine that powers their FarCry games.

Reply 209 of 228, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-02-04, 15:19:

I'm sure FC will get a proper remaster at 64-bit at some point, as Crysis did. It makes no sense to leave that game on the table, when it's so classic and people want a good single-player FPS game. I'm sure with some code polishing and replacement, it could be put out on today's systems.

I don't think there is a need, the 64-bit version works fine. 🙂
The remaster of Crysis 1 is also superfluous, as it doesn't make any performance improvements and the colors are worse (too saturated).
Also, most remasters are poorly developed, often with bugs and downgraded graphics quality from the originals, all done just to make new money on old games.
However, I would say that this is off topic

Reply 210 of 228, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kappa971 wrote on 2022-02-04, 15:47:
I don't think there is a need, the 64-bit version works fine. 🙂 The remaster of Crysis 1 is also superfluous, as it doesn't mak […]
Show full quote
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-02-04, 15:19:

I don't think there is a need, the 64-bit version works fine. 🙂
The remaster of Crysis 1 is also superfluous, as it doesn't make any performance improvements and the colors are worse (too saturated).
However, I would say that this is off topic

Crysis 2007 can't natively run on AMD systems since 5/6 years, due to removal of 3DNOW ISA which CryEngine 2 thinks is obviously present on AMD CPUs.

About 144 FPS, you can get easely > 200 FPS with the 32 bit version, all settings maxed out (not only the ones in the menu, like the terrain lod you must set to 0 in every level)
Intel i3 8300 + Radeon RX 570 - 2560x1440, MSAA 4x - AF 8x

Far-Cry-2022-02-04-16-50-08-952.jpg

Reply 211 of 228, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And just for the sake of testing, this is the same spot with no MSAA but with an Intel i5 11600 and its UHD 750 (I'm waiting for a GeForce RTX 3060 @good price.....)

Far-Cry-2022-02-04-17-05-36-775.jpg

So performance is very good on basic systems too.

(maybe it's the case to move the posts to the dedicated thread 😁 )

Reply 214 of 228, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Addendum: there's an issue during the closing operations:

Speaker Angles:
Front Left: -30° [DEFAULT]
Front Center: 0° [DEFAULT]
Front Right: 30° [DEFAULT]
Side Left: -90° [DEFAULT]
Side Right: 90° [DEFAULT]
Rear Left: -135° [DEFAULT]
Rear Right: 135° [DEFAULT]
EAX 3.0: The application queried whether support is available
EAX 2.0: The application queried whether support is available
IndirectSound is being unloaded because the process is terminating
XAudio2 has encountered a critical error!
The audio device was removed or stopped responding
The only way to recover is to release the XAudio2 instance and create a new one...

Reply 215 of 228, by jonpol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote on 2022-02-05, 10:18:
Addendum: there's an issue during the closing operations: […]
Show full quote

Addendum: there's an issue during the closing operations:

Speaker Angles:
Front Left: -30° [DEFAULT]
Front Center: 0° [DEFAULT]
Front Right: 30° [DEFAULT]
Side Left: -90° [DEFAULT]
Side Right: 90° [DEFAULT]
Rear Left: -135° [DEFAULT]
Rear Right: 135° [DEFAULT]
EAX 3.0: The application queried whether support is available
EAX 2.0: The application queried whether support is available
IndirectSound is being unloaded because the process is terminating
XAudio2 has encountered a critical error!
The audio device was removed or stopped responding
The only way to recover is to release the XAudio2 instance and create a new one...

Hi lowenz, thanks for the report! As long as that happens while the game is closing (in this case it happens after the DLL starts to get unloaded) then it's totally fine and doesn't matter. With the new 1.x version of IndirectSound I am trying to improve some of these messages to make it clear when it's an actual error with IndirectSound that might cause incorrect results, when it's an application error (meaning that the result will be identical to what it would have been in the Old Days), and when it's just informational or doesn't matter. If I ever get that in a releasable state things should be better hehe.

Reply 216 of 228, by jonpol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kappa971 wrote on 2022-02-04, 11:46:

jonpol, I would like to ask you a question: have you ever thought, with your knowledge, of contributing to the development of DSOAL? I think it could speed up its development.

No, IndirectSound is enough to keep my DirectSound hobby time saturated 😀. I don't mind sharing knowledge (we even had the author of DSOAL in this thread for a few posts), but I don't plan on trying to do any active development on it.

Reply 217 of 228, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KainXVIII wrote on 2022-02-02, 14:33:
lowenz wrote on 2022-02-02, 14:22:
KainXVIII wrote on 2022-02-02, 14:05:

Does new OpenAL Soft work with Mass Effect 1 (Legendary edition too) properly? Do i need eaxefx patcher?

I don't think legendary edition needs it, as a remaster it would target XAudio, why "old" OpenAL or DirectSound? But someone will test eventually.

Because EA are incompetent, they still using legacy port for Legendary edition (but now without surround sound support 🤣, but you can fix it with old openal soft, i wonder how new version works now, with EAX effects?)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filede … /?id=2487160511

They are worse than incompetent actually (since they are beyond negligence here).
Still completely oblivious to the code they themselves built (the audio engine is the same in the remaster), AFAIU they "re-mixed" certain sounds to better fit the generic software experience they thought was the only one possible.
In this sense, if you were to add back the missing EAX extensions you are gonna have a bad time in at least certain places (it would be funny to compare indirectsound and openal-soft with [eax] enable = false, then).

But aside of that, "no surround sound support" out of the box is instead normal and didn't change from the original.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 218 of 228, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote on 2022-02-02, 13:47:

I can confirm the last (built from the master branch) version of OpenAL Soft got EAX correct without the use of EAXEFX.

Update

Now the legacy code is removed from the master source, so you need EAXEFX.