New forum suggestions/Feedback

Topic actions

Reply 361 of 516, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No thanks.

We don't need yet another place where people are chasing likes/upvotes/retweets for perceived social media status. The old school nature of this forum has a charm of its own.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 362 of 516, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-02-09, 02:38:

No thanks.

We don't need yet another place where people are chasing likes/upvotes/retweets for perceived social media status. The old school nature of this forum has a charm of its own.

Agreed. Man, I hate these modern social networks.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 363 of 516, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems (given that several of us are also from there) that some references are to OCAU, and their added Likes system of a few years ago. OCAU is partially analogous to Vogons - a forum of niche techies.

And it's not a bad system. It did not seem to create any of the issues that some posters above are anxious about. It seemed a simple way to increase positivity and sense of community on their forum. Sure there are some cliques, but that does no harm, in itself.

Last edited by Shreddoc on 2022-02-09, 02:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 364 of 516, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So what we need to do is just flood the forum with " I like " responses.

If there is enough of a mess, then maybe a simple like button would be implemented.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 365 of 516, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about instead of liking an individual post you just gave a person the like which was only reflected to them in their profile. That way it doesn't become about getting likes publicly on a post but people can feel like their posts are appreciated.

Reply 368 of 516, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Instead of "likes," "thanks" could be used. I've seen this on other forums. Attach the "thanks" to the member who received it (to be viewed on their profile), also. It will be easy to spot the members with helpful (and sometimes massive) contributions, and it won't be a popularity contest. Instead, you'll have people tripping over others to be even more helpful. Perhaps a search filter for most "thanked" posts could added or post a summary of most "thanked" posts for the month, week, or whatever (I've also seen this done on other forums). You can also keep track of how many times a member "thanked" others, too.

Reply 369 of 516, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember facebook before the like button, it was almost a social media. I think a discussion board is better off without it.

(-2200 members dislikes this post, you should too)

Reply 372 of 516, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't agree with the criticism of the Like button. But it's not important enough for me die on a hill for. I can definitely live without it. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 373 of 516, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't think of a single community where the like button actually helped me reach better content..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 375 of 516, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote on 2022-02-09, 17:48:

I don't agree with the criticism of the Like button. But it's not important enough for me die on a hill for.

Me either.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 376 of 516, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed. It's tempting to inspect some interesting points about what value is added to forums by repetitive quasi-Like content such as "+1"; or by individuals aggressively gatekeeping topics by reposting the same reconfigured point over and over to everybody opposed; or the hypocrisy in the way people seemingly opposed to modernity are quite happy to freely sprinkle their posts with (gasp!) Pointless Newfangled Emoticons and such 😁 😁 😁 (<--- OG value, right guys!).

But look, ultimately who cares. 😀 Like I mentioned earlier, the regulars already know where plaudits are due, and why.

Reply 378 of 516, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anders- wrote on 2022-02-09, 22:37:
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-02-09, 22:01:

Indeed. It's tempting to inspect some interesting points about what value is added to forums by repetitive quasi-Like content such as "+1"; or by individuals aggressively gatekeeping topics by reposting the same reconfigured point over and over to everybody opposed; or the hypocrisy in the way people seemingly opposed to modernity are quite happy to freely sprinkle their posts with (gasp!) Pointless Newfangled Emoticons and such 😁 😁 😁 (<--- OG value, right guys!).

But look, ultimately who cares. 😀 Like I mentioned earlier, the regulars already know where plaudits are due, and why.

Oh please, go "inspect some interesting points" and then share your wealth of knowledge with the rest of us 😁

6/19 (soon to be 7/20, I presume..?) of the posts on this page are yours, and they all say the same thing in a slightly different way. I am not sure what value that brings to the discussion. Nevertheless, I'm done with the topic. Have a nice day, and I look forward to seeing your useful knowledge around on the forums too.