VOGONS

First post, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I was looking at some studio monitors and I quickly found that it would be much cheaper to buy an older set of studio monitors than modern ones. I would like to use them as my main PC speakers - be it for listening to music, general browsing, video playback or some gaming.

What else do I need in order to use them - an external sound card which I assume is in itself a DAC, like the Sound Blaster x4? If so, what would you recommend? Or would an amplifier be required too? Given that it would be my first experience with something else other than "basic pc speakers" I would like to keep it as space compact and affordable as possible. I recently acquired an Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 card for my Win 7 build and even with my basic Creative Inspire speakers I was very impressed, so I would like to go a step further in my next pc. I honestly spent so many years with onboard audio that I just forgot what a difference an actual sound card makes.

Looking forward to your pointers, thank you for your time and replies

Reply 1 of 18, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Depends on if they are powered or unpowered and if they have unbalanced or balanced inputs. If they are powered and they have unbalanced inputs, you can use them just like regular computer speakers.

That said, studio monitors are designed for accurate sound reproduction, not entertainment. The better your monitors are, the worse poorly mixed music will sound. Some music that sounds "fine" on my receiver/bookshelf speakers/sub sounds like garbage on my studio monitors, because I can hear more detail. So I don't know that I would recommend monitors for your intended usage.

Reply 2 of 18, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Plasma wrote on 2022-02-10, 03:05:

Depends on if they are powered or unpowered and if they have unbalanced or balanced inputs. If they are powered and they have unbalanced inputs, you can use them just like regular computer speakers.

That said, studio monitors are designed for accurate sound reproduction, not entertainment. The better your monitors are, the worse poorly mixed music will sound. Some music that sounds "fine" on my receiver/bookshelf speakers/sub sounds like garbage on my studio monitors, because I can hear more detail. So I don't know that I would recommend monitors for your intended usage.

Thanks, what would you recommend as a step up to general pc speakers? Or just go with the "normal" pc speakers and attach an external sound card?

Reply 3 of 18, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My entertainment setup is computer optical out going to a home theater receiver/amplifier, attached to 5.25" bookshelf speakers and a 10" subwoofer. But it's not very compact or cheap.

What's your budget? Do you have space for a sub?

Reply 4 of 18, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sound advice from Plasma. (Ha! Sound!)

I'd go with a pair of active bookshelf speakers to suit your budget. I run a pair of Edifiers. Get something with an optical input to take advantage of your Forte's output.

Reply 5 of 18, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Plasma wrote on 2022-02-10, 03:37:

My entertainment setup is computer optical out going to a home theater receiver/amplifier, attached to 5.25" bookshelf speakers and a 10" subwoofer. But it's not very compact or cheap.

What's your budget? Do you have space for a sub?

Inbetween the speakers and some other equipment (external sound card or amplifier) I'd say around 250, 300 dollars max. If I buy used older speakers I can get either a used older amplifier or a new external sound card within budget. I'm still unsure about what the difference between those last two is, if it's either / or or even both. isn't the amplifier using the onboard audio as source? Wouldn't it be better to have an external sound card as a source?

I have space for a sub, yes. A simple 2.1 system is enough for what I want

Pierre32 wrote on 2022-02-10, 03:45:

Sound advice from Plasma. (Ha! Sound!)

I'd go with a pair of active bookshelf speakers to suit your budget. I run a pair of Edifiers. Get something with an optical input to take advantage of your Forte's output.

Bookshelf it is then, thanks. This is all for another future build, but the Forte is doing a fine job on my Win 7 build it has to be said. So if you guys are recommending optical, would an external sound card do the job? Optical from PC to Ext sound card, and cables to speakers if I got it right?

Reply 6 of 18, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the external sound card is a needless addition, if your internal card is sufficient and has the outputs you need. Just run it straight to your speakers.

Unless you want some of the additional features that an external sound card can bring, like a physical volume control and additional I/O. In that case it would be USB from the PC to the external device, then optical or whatever you choose from the device to the speakers.

Reply 7 of 18, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-02-10, 04:05:

I think the external sound card is a needless addition, if your internal card is sufficient and has the outputs you need. Just run it straight to your speakers.

Unless you want some of the additional features that an external sound card can bring, like a physical volume control and additional I/O. In that case it would be USB from the PC to the external device, then optical or whatever you choose from the device to the speakers.

So in order to increase in quality for what I want the bookshelf speakers would make the most difference even with the onboard audio? Interesting. I would think that removing the onboard audio from the equation would be the first thing to do. The Forte in my Win 7 build made such a difference from onboard audio that I was thinking of doing the same with the future build, but I always thought about external sound cards because they seem to be more present everywhere nowadays.

But well if getting some bookshelf speakers would be the main game changer then I guess I could splurge a bit more on that and call it a day

Reply 8 of 18, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right, it didn't quite sink in that you were planning a build from scratch. I'm with you there, I don't like to use the onboard stuff either as a rule. But the general sentiment around onboard optical outputs is good. I'd be inclined to try that first with some quality speakers, and only add an external card later if you feel you need to.

Reply 9 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are we just talking about stereo or full on surround sound?
If its stereo or just the Win7 PC then hooking up to a decent amp (like entertainment system) is a good cheap way to improve over standard PC speakers.

If we are talking about EAX and surround sound annoyingly you need to use the 3 sets of analog 3.55mm jacks, even though the card as toslink EAX doesn't work over, at least naivety in XP and below, not sure about alchemy

Reply 10 of 18, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-02-10, 04:40:

Right, it didn't quite sink in that you were planning a build from scratch. I'm with you there, I don't like to use the onboard stuff either as a rule. But the general sentiment around onboard optical outputs is good. I'd be inclined to try that first with some quality speakers, and only add an external card later if you feel you need to.

chinny22 wrote on 2022-02-10, 14:07:

Are we just talking about stereo or full on surround sound?
If its stereo or just the Win7 PC then hooking up to a decent amp (like entertainment system) is a good cheap way to improve over standard PC speakers.

If we are talking about EAX and surround sound annoyingly you need to use the 3 sets of analog 3.55mm jacks, even though the card as toslink EAX doesn't work over, at least naivety in XP and below, not sure about alchemy

Basically stereo for general computer usage. This would be a completely modern new Win11 build. I have a pair of Altec Lansing active speakers that are quite good for what they are and I'm yet to try them in a PC, so that's another possibility to cut some costs, and maybe add a DAC or an external sound card. Or as Pierre32 said get some bookshelf speakers and go from there as required.

Let's say the speakers are chosen, whatever they are, and I wanted something more to push it further. Do I need a DAC or an external sound card? What is the difference between them?

Reply 11 of 18, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good. Let shit quality be known

Reply 12 of 18, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-02-10, 17:18:

Good. Let shit quality be known

Not good if you are trying to enjoy the actual music and not the quality of the audio mastering. It's like watching a movie 2 feet from your TV and looking for compression artifacts.

Reply 13 of 18, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah I wouldnt reccomend studio monitors or like DT770/DT900 headphones for general use. If your mixing sure, but otherwise... its amazing the difference.

DACs and Amps are so good these days you have a wealth of choices.

bookshelf speakers like the MICA MB42 (I like the MB42 over the MB42X) are fantastic. a small amp like ones from SMSL will drive those speakers just fine. some cheap good dacs around too like a Fosi Audio Q4 (usb/optical spdif/coax spdif inputs, rca outputs to the amp).

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 14 of 18, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Plasma wrote on 2022-02-10, 17:47:

Not good if you are trying to enjoy the actual music and not the quality of the audio mastering. It's like watching a movie 2 feet from your TV and looking for compression artifacts.

Be serious now.... the kind of ppl that do that, these days own 8K TV at least, so they're sitting there with a magnifying glass 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 15 of 18, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Plasma wrote on 2022-02-10, 17:47:

I also support pixel peeping

Reply 16 of 18, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BloodyCactus wrote on 2022-02-10, 18:29:

yeah I wouldnt reccomend studio monitors or like DT770/DT900 headphones for general use. If your mixing sure, but otherwise... its amazing the difference.

DACs and Amps are so good these days you have a wealth of choices.

bookshelf speakers like the MICA MB42 (I like the MB42 over the MB42X) are fantastic. a small amp like ones from SMSL will drive those speakers just fine. some cheap good dacs around too like a Fosi Audio Q4 (usb/optical spdif/coax spdif inputs, rca outputs to the amp).

Thanks, I was looking at the Fosi Audio Q4 funny enough. I think I'll initially go with that to drive my powered Altec Lansing speakers, and further along I'll get a compact amplifier with some bookshelf speakers to complete the chain. It's all pipe dream stuff for now but I'm looking forward to the experience. Again: are DACs and amplifiers exclusive to each other? Or is getting both essential to maximize the bookshelf speakers?

Reply 18 of 18, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Matth79 wrote on 2022-02-11, 00:13:

If they are unamplified (speaker terminals), you could try one of these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003100996665.html
Insanely cheap for a class D amp that is also a USB soundcard

So much to learn, what a cool device, thank you so much. Looks perfect to have in the office table