VOGONS

First post, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, newcomer alert everyone!

First off, I just wanted to say I've enjoyed DOSBox somewhat over the past few versions, but with 0.70 I am even happier than before, particularly as by default cycles are now set to auto so I can run games like Tyrian and Constructor in a PERFECT condition without slowdown on my 3Ghz P4 with 1Gb ram - even Tyrian's Wild graphics mode flows smoothly! 😁

Now, I thought one day that perhaps I should register and ask for your word on a couple of things I'd personally love to see happen in the future if at all possible, to make DOSBox even better for people like me. Namely:

1) Will there be any way to support swapping of floppy disk images (or directories masquerading as disks) in future, mainly for when installing certain games to hard disk? Some of them are rather picky about whether they're being run off a floppy or HD, and in some cases editing their config/setup files (if at all possible) may not always work! I played about with the program last night and spotted the ability to mount more than one CD to a drive and swap between them when required, but it can't seem to do the same for floppies. I've seen that it's seemingly possible to swap floppies with the BOOT function - but I assume that'll only apply to bootable disks, and not disks where you have to install data off of?

2) This probably sounds very minor to the rest of you, but I'd like to ask also if the possibility of retaining file date stamps on files - especially from installing games off of disks/CDs/archives - can be made/applied in future? Compare installing a game through real DOS (or NT's equivalent of DOS) to installing the same title through DOSBox, and inspect the properties of the files afterwards - you'll find that the real McCoy can retain original datestamps, whereas DOSBox seems to lose all the information on them and just gives them the modern date of when you installed them (if you see what I mean). Somehow I just like to be able to retain some extra originality with these old games! 😉

So yes, hello to everyone here, and I look forward to your replies. 😀

Reply 1 of 21, by Litude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
marzsyndrome wrote:

2) This probably sounds very minor to the rest of you, but I'd like to ask also if the possibility of retaining file date stamps on files...

Actually, I think there are more people out there that want this than you think. I also hate when old games I install display the modify date as 2007, it kind of gives the picture that the game has been tampered with. This is why I always use the Windows CMD when possible, as it can keep the modify dates, but some games won't install using it.

Reply 2 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As far as I'm concerned once you install the files from the original media they are "modified" but yeah the dates being modified is annoying, especially when you are trying to research a game that came out in '93 with a DTS of 2005.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Depends on how the install-from-to is done. If the files are copied one-by-one, then I expect the file dates to be kept intact, but the target-directory date should be modified. If the files are unpacked from some kind of archive, I expect both the files, and the directories to retain their original dates.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 21, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How so? DOS didn't have the concept of time zones, so it was in a way running in the user's preferred time zone. The equivalent in linux would be what localtime() returns, and using that information, you can create valid GMT timestamps with mktime(), which then displays correctly in the user's file manager. The same translation would be done when reading time stamps from the filesystem.

Reply 9 of 21, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was there ever any progress with the floppy disk swap? I noticed the thread really followed the date/timestamp thread, but no mention of floppy disk swap.

I'm working on a front end that installs original dos images and man would that be nice. I know there is a similar feature for swapping ISO images, so a feature which swaps directories or something similar would be awesome.

Reply 10 of 21, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
exofreeze wrote:

Was there ever any progress with the floppy disk swap? I noticed the thread really followed the date/timestamp thread, but no mention of floppy disk swap.

If I remember right, floppy-disk swapping is available since 0.70 (press ALT-F4 to swap thoose images, too).
And -freesize and -size parameters for -t floppy available since 0.71...

Klimawandel.

Reply 11 of 21, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is the command to mount a floppy disk then? And what extensions are supported? none of this is listed in the readme or anywhere else?

Are you sure your not thinking about iso mounting?

Reply 12 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

imgmount mounts floppies. I think it mounts .img files.

It's listed in the README under imgmount.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 21, by TheDogThatDidntBark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The ykhwong website http://ykhwong.x-y.net seems to be having problems. When you get there, it goes to a CVS frame page that is totally empty; even the wayback machine page behaves the same way. Am I doing something remarkably dumb or has the page really gone? Does any kind soul have a compiled EXE for Windows lying around, by chance?

EDIT:

OK, this is really strange. The page displays fine in IE7 😕 Normally FF is way better than IE, but not in this case. Turning off the "NoScript" FF security extension has no effect, so I wonder exactly what FF3 is doing that screws up the page? Oh well.

I can confirm that the modified build works fine, except that the resolved timestamps look off by 12 hours; have to investigate this further.

The download link on the page is wrong (see the forum); the correct link for the windows build is this: http://www.msu.edu/~yootaewo/20080929.rar

Hope this saves somebody some time 😀

Reply 16 of 21, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thought I'd post to mention that 0.73 doesn't support the swapping of non-boot floppies either. 🙁

As for the datestamp thing, I'm looking forward to see if gulikoza can do wonders with it after he found ykh's patch/code for it recently (with a little help from myself 😁)!

Reply 17 of 21, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, 0.74's out - just tested it and it's the same situation - no datestamp or non-boot floppy support.

Are these sort of additions still not considered 'stable' enough to add to the official branch? I'm not quite sure how it all works.

In case anyone needs to look at ykhwong's source, it's still here: http://www.msu.edu/~yootaewo/source.rar

Reply 19 of 21, by kkaden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It may not be required for games to work, but I've run into instances where installing a patch fails because it's looking for a date attached to a file before it will patch, and since the file's date stamp is discarded it doesn't run