VOGONS

Windows 11 has been released

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 200 of 252, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-10-19, 19:51:

Can someone please tell me what exciting new innovative features Windows 11 will provide?

Android Apps support, some Xbox features (DirectStorage / AutoHDR), better MS Teams integration (supposedly), some additional window snap controls, Widgets (Hello, Vista!), Windows Terminal (but you can get it from the App Store on Win10 as well).
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what … ws-11-whats-new

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 201 of 252, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably nothing of particular interest for me in Win11 at first glance. Some say it's a bit smoother than 10, but probably not too significant.

I like improved paging algorithm in 10. It's irritating with Vista - 8.1 that OS happily puts inactive programs' data from RAM to disk, then there's always lag when they have to be fetched back to RAM (duh). Better to keep it in RAM as long as there's still some of it free.

The trend of there being 3 regressions (particularly in UI department) for any genuine improvement doesn't seem to be going in a better direction.

I put the OS in VM (BIOS, no TPM) over a week ago, installed it from original ISO using command line (diskpart, DISM). Made it look similar to my Win10 installation:

ejIl33G.png

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 202 of 252, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems quicker than Windows 10 on officially supported hardware.

Currently it can be slower even on supported hardware:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/a-windows-11 … ance-even-worse

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 203 of 252, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-10-19, 22:09:

Yes, I have seen that. I'm talking about the desktop experience, not gaming.

You can also disable the part that hurts the performance if I remember correctly.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 204 of 252, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-19, 22:12:
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-10-19, 22:09:

Yes, I have seen that. I'm talking about the desktop experience, not gaming.

You can also disable the part that hurts the performance if I remember correctly.

No, that is a different issue:
https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-11-pcs-can-ho … ng-performance/

The issue I have referred above affects not only games but desktop performance also and cannot be "disabled":
https://www.techpowerup.com/287786/first-wind … s-out-fix-dates

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 205 of 252, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, ok. The first link you posted is blocked where I am right now.

I saw the Ryzen thing and it is supposed to be fixed soon so not too worried about that.

Pretty sure that Windows 7 had a similar issue with AMD CPUs as far as the threading went.... yeah, it was for Bulldozer:
http://www.guruht.com/2011/12/bulldozer-perfo … or-windows.html

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 206 of 252, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Guess no one at AMD is on the insider program heh.
One performance issue has already been fixed by a Windows update, the other issue requires AMD to release a driver update.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 207 of 252, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you. So nothing I can't live without. Good.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 209 of 252, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And no Metal, either. So inspiration taken from macOS was incomplete? 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 211 of 252, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reviving this old thread with some questions, hope anybody can answer...

How long will it last the "free upgrade"? My plan is wait until the last month and then upgrade my computer, so if I upgrade my computer I could get my Windows 10 license to that computer and then upgrade it to 11.

Have requirements changed from the published ones? My wife and I have "unsupported" CPUs (they're not included on the official compatible CPU list), a Ryzen 5 1600X and a Ryzen 3 1200. Strangely, my wife computer is ready to upgrade to Windows 11 (that's the Ryzen 5) but mine still says that can't be upgraded (Ryzen 3). The main difference is that her computer runs Windows 10 Pro but mine is Windows 10 Home. Maybe Windows 11 requirements are not as strict for Pro versions (because they're mainly installed on business)? Or maybe requirements have changed and now Ryzen 5 is accepted as valid CPU?

Is the AMD issue solved? There are reports that AMD CPUs are underperforming... that's amazing after all that time that Intel expent with Microsoft fine-tuning Windows 11 (yes, that's sarcasm). Is that issue solved or do they have a roadmap to solve it?

Do Windows 11 readyness prevents Windows 10 upgrade? My computer showed a week ago the Windows 10 21H2 upgrade, but my wife's computer only shows the Windows 11 upgrade. Maybe Microsoft hides that update to "suggest" users going into 11?

Is there anything more that I should have to be aware before going into 11? Any answer would be appreciated.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 212 of 252, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Likely "forever" since you can still upgrade for "free" to Windows 10. If you're asking about when the prompts will disappear in the Windows Update screen then don't worry about it and just install from ISO

2. Nope. Requirements are still there. Use Rufus or the script in the first post to bypass. MS currently doesn't enable VBS but have said they will be enabling it over the next year which makes you wonder how they are going to accomplish that. Currently you have to disable VBS to use vmware so expect alot of pissed off people for just that if vmware/MS doesn't fix that issue and MS enables VBS.

3. It was a Windows and an AMD driver issue. Windows update was pushed first and then AMD fixed their chipset driver so you need to update both (I don't think Windows Update is offering that driver yet if ever). It's likely that either AMD isn't in the insider program or mabye not many insiders using AMD machines....

4. Don't worry about what Windows Update says. Use the ISO. The update prompts for OS upgrades can appear or disappear based on different factors.

5. Not really it's basically another Windows 10 build with artificial requirements.

Make your games work offline

Reply 214 of 252, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^You're lucky.

Microsoft messes up again, in my opinion.
It's a shame the developers in charge haven't learned from XP's success and why people loved it so much.
If they only saw more than code, optics and features.
Windows 98SE/2000/XP were all customizable and meant freedom.

Even Vista was friendly, by comparison.
If Vista was a queen, then Windows 1x is like a colonial mistress. Imho. 😉

Because, now MS goes back to forcing stuff on people they don't want or need.
The company did it with Windows 8 (Metro concept, introduction of MS account), it did it with Windows 10 (pretty much was a "forced" gift/upgrade to Win 7 users) and now it does it with Win 11 again. And Win 11 seemed so promising! *sigh*

Please don't get me wrong. But the account requirement in the Pro version is a total no-go.
A full-fledged PC is more worth than a smartphone and processes data that's essential to so many institutions.
In companies, in the professional fields, personal information is much more strictly handled.
There are laws that must be obeyed when it comes to personal information.
What MS does could thus conflict with data protection and safety in the European Union and countries around the globe.
Thus, Windows 11 could end up being banned in those places.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 216 of 252, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2022-02-18, 23:59:

Windows 11 Pro will soon require an account and online access. My wife is a former Solaris/Linux admin. I think I know my destiny in the near future. <wife nods in approval>

https://gizmodo.com/windows-11-pro-will-soon- … ount-1848562900

Considering Windows 10 (ever since build 1909) would give you a monthly reminder to make a Microsoft account, even if you were using the "Pro" version, I'm honestly not surprised that Microsoft will be going this far to disallow Local accounts on new installations. The monthly reminder was the last straw for me since I couldn't find a way to turn it off (I've tried every method that was posted online and nothing worked). My next computer will be a Mac (the reasons why I'm choosing Mac over Linux are I need good photo and video editing software, and my printer's manufacturer (Canon) has poor Linux support from what I've heard). The regressions of Windows 10-11 have pretty much sealed that deal for me, no more fiddling around with modern Windows. Why can't Microsoft listen to what their users want instead of implementing features that make Windows harder to deal with for once?

I can't wait until Nathan Lineback talks about this problem in the "Rants" section of ToastyTech.

Reply 217 of 252, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KCompRoom2000 wrote on 2022-02-19, 08:25:

Considering Windows 10 (ever since build 1909) would give you a monthly reminder to make a Microsoft account, even if you were using the "Pro" version, I'm honestly not surprised that Microsoft will be going this far to disallow Local accounts on new installations. The monthly reminder was the last straw for me since I couldn't find a way to turn it off (I've tried every method that was posted online and nothing worked).

We've been through this before. Mine doesn't do that, and never did, and I run Win10 Pro on several different systems. I believe there were other testimonies from users who could not replicate the behavior you described. Hence it must have been a problem with your setup (which may affect a certain percentage of users), but not the normal behavior of the system.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 218 of 252, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2022-02-19, 08:32:

We've been through this before. Mine doesn't do that, and never did, and I run Win10 Pro on several different systems. I believe there were other testimonies from users who could not replicate the behavior you described. Hence it must have been a problem with your setup (which may affect a certain percentage of users), but not the normal behavior of the system.

You must've been lucky (or using a version past 1909). In Windows 10 Pro version 1909 I've tried everything I could find to get rid of the "Get Even More Out of Windows" screen and nothing worked, it kept coming back each month. I've never used version 2004 or later so I'm willing to bet they've made it possible to disable that screen at that point.

Reply 219 of 252, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

funny i'm on w10-1909 and also get that 'get more out of windows screen' every once in a while ( a month, might be, never stopped to think about it too much)

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port