VOGONS

First post, by AtomicPlayboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently replaced the original AT power supply in my IBM PS/1 with a modern ATX PSU and love how quiet it runs now. I'd love to achieve the same effect with my Power Mac 6500/300, which runs LOUD. I know that it won't be as simple as using an AT->ATX adapter, and I'm willing to roll my sleeves up and bust out a multimeter and soldering iron if necessary. Can anyone provide any suggestions as to how to modernize / silence this otherwise wonderful old Mac?

Reply 1 of 3, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't you just replace the fan with something silent but that still produces good airflow (e.g. Noctua)?

Not familiar with that PSU, but fan sizes are usually standard.

Reply 2 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-02-20, 19:25:

Can't you just replace the fan with something silent but that still produces good airflow (e.g. Noctua)?

Not familiar with that PSU, but fan sizes are usually standard.

Second that ! Early Mac PSU are diff than PC so best option is to replace the fan

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 3, by AtomicPlayboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, yeah, that's a good idea. Hopefully one of the Noctuas I've got in my daily driver will fit. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.