VOGONS

Windows 11 has been released

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 240 of 252, by javispedro1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2022-02-19, 18:50:

How many of these 5 installs are Win10 Pro? The claim was specifically about the Pro version. That the regular Win10 (Home) has annoying nag screens I easily believe (it has tons of other annoyances as well).

All of them. I have never used Home edition -- no RDP. So I can't really say if there is any difference in the nag screens between home and pro, but I can say about nagging in Pro. Tends to happen after monthly cumulative updates, but not sure if it's due to them or just monthly.

Reply 241 of 252, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2022-02-19, 17:35:

The issue may be people may be thinking of different things when "nag screens" are mentioned, for me I'm referring to a popup on your desktop similar to the Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade BS. If people are referring to "nag screens" in applications then that's a different matter and it's unfortunately the norm nowadays due to marketing BS and the stupidity of the common user.
People complaining about these should probably open up a seperate thread with pictures of what they are talking about, why the behavior is different from any other "modern" app, why it greatly affects their workflow and is not just OCD complaints and if/how to disable it and if they've submitted that feedback to any of the application developers for non-MS "apps" and for MS "apps" instead of disrupting this thread.

I've never seen any application based nagging to log in to a Microsoft account. Just the OOBE-like thing, and as I said I've only seen that on one of my computers, so I've probably turned it off on the other computer. So turning it off is definitely possible.

Both computers being Win10 Pro.

Reply 242 of 252, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hoping wrote on 2022-02-19, 20:43:
A typical statement, linux is not the definitive answer any more than any other OS is. Curiously, today I just changed the OS of […]
Show full quote
xcomcmdr wrote on 2022-02-19, 19:38:

Just use Linux and be done with it.

A typical statement, linux is not the definitive answer any more than any other OS is.
Curiously, today I just changed the OS of my HTPC, I had Linux and I just installed Windows 10 Pro, simply because Linux no longer met what I needed and Windows meets it better.
I have three PCs with Windows 10, four with Windows 7, three laptops with linux, a router with linux and a laptop with Haiku OS.
So to say, just use Linux and that's it, it's a somewhat closed view, each OS has its strengths and weaknesses, Windows 11 will have them too, but it turns out that everything in the world is like that.

I have been messing around with numerous distros since the mid 90s, and as far as it being a desktop OS, we just had the 3rd periodic, almost there, almost there, noooo, you've gone and messed it all up again, a couple of years back. So it's seeming to me now, that using linux is always going to be like taking a trip through town to the supermarket to pick up your groceries in a combine harvester towing a travel trailer... it can do SO much... but it sucks at picking up the groceries.

edit: Stretching that analogy, you get distros that have chopped down the combine harvester, unhooked the travel trailer, full custom cut and shut, so it's merely one lane wide and maybe akin to driving a pickup truck... but then you go to do something, and then it's like "That requires the threshing unit installed" ... so you have to refit that yourself... etc and so on... until now you've got it doing things you want it to do, but it's no longer like only driving a pickup, it's now a poorly bolted together combine harvester towing a travel trailer held together with duct tape.

editII: Bring this up to the core devs and it's like you're talking to agricultural engineers.. "What do you mean it's hard to drive? You just put it in the corner of a field, download the satellite imagery, turn on the GPS, say what crop you're harvesting, push a button and you can read a book while it harvests rows to the hopper as neat as you like."

Last edited by BitWrangler on 2022-02-20, 15:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 243 of 252, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
javispedro1 wrote on 2022-02-19, 21:51:

All of them. I have never used Home edition -- no RDP. So I can't really say if there is any difference in the nag screens between home and pro, but I can say about nagging in Pro. Tends to happen after monthly cumulative updates, but not sure if it's due to them or just monthly.

Oh, that is an interesting possibility. It's possible that certain updates trigger the "nag screen". I have auto-update disabled on all my systems and only update manually every once in a while.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 244 of 252, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A typical statement, linux is not the definitive answer any more than any other OS is.

Well then use Windows 10 or 11 or whatever and stop complaining. :p

Reply 245 of 252, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2022-02-20, 08:51:

Well then use Windows 10 or 11 or whatever and stop complaining. :p

I think you misunderstood me or I didn't explain myself well, I'm not complaining about how Windows works and I'm not complaining about how Linux works, they are what they are. And I also don't want to disparage users of either operating system.
Just wondering if anyone has tried a program on Windows 11. I don't think this is a thread about which OS is better.
I do not want to offend anyone, if so, I offer my apologies.

Reply 246 of 252, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Last time we tried 11 at work, we had lots of issues with various printers, so we were forced to revert to 10.

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 247 of 252, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ubuntu linux is miles better than any modern Windows.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 250 of 252, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi again. Bad news, Windows 12 is planned to put the promises/ideas from Windows 10x into action.

Some news sites even claim Win 12 will force an MS account to both home and pro users..😢
And is going to remove all legacy code.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-12- … nest-next-month

https://www.computerbase.de/2022-02/das-naech … von-windows-12/

Englisch Translation

That makes me wonder how Windows 11 will fit into this.
Will Windows 11 be the last "classic" Windows (Windows NT) ? The end of the road, so to say?

And after it - Windows 12 with a complete new code base ?
I'm confused. Maybe it's true that MS lacks the old gurus from 30+ years ago and must start fresh from the start ?

I'm sorry, these are just some random thoughts that come to mind.
Maybe these things should be discussed in a new thread, also.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 251 of 252, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2022-02-20, 18:55:
Bruninho wrote on 2022-02-20, 16:27:

Ubuntu linux is miles better than any modern Windows.

Nah, there's no games. And no Visual Studio.

And VSCode.. Bleh !

All you'll need is basic, just plain old rombasic ! 😁

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port