VOGONS

Overlay has overrun allocated memory - Error when running Hyperspeed

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by DoubleEndedFist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm having trouble launching Hyperspeed under Dosbox 0.70. I get the following error when executing speed.exe "overlay has overrun allocated memory"...preceeding the error message there is character which looks like a candy cane or an upside down and backwards "j".

I have tried altering the the overlay setting in the conf file and running the executable with every overlay setting available...same error message..

I have tried setting both xms and ems to false and combinations of true and false with different overlay settings but have come to no resolution.

Can someone please help? I have searched your forum and have found posts relating to Hyperspeed however these posts refer to errors after the game launches and do not relate to the issue I'm dealing with.

Reply 4 of 11, by DoubleEndedFist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
Thanks for replying. I have tried the loadfix option however it still doesn't run. The only difference is that this time the candy cane symbol I describe in my first post changes to a %....don't know what this means...

As for sound options these are set when the game launches but as it doesn't I'm not able to actually disable anything. I have however been able to set nosound=true option in the DosBox conf file but this has rendered no results..

Any other ideas?????

Reply 10 of 11, by Cletis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having this exact same problem. Did anyone ever figure it out?

I've tried Hyperspeed under Windows XP, when booting from a dos boot disk and under DosBOX v0.71 with all of the options mentioned in this thread. All of them give me the same results (which the op described).

I am new to this stuff, so it's possible I'm making a common mistake. Any ideas?

Reply 11 of 11, by Joe Cool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe a bit late to the party but: This happens when you don't install the game and try to run the compressed files.

The manual is wrong: copying all disks to the hard drive does not install the game.
The installer also has a bug and does not detect larger hard drives. It works fine on my DOS PC with a 250 MB C: partition.

If the hard disk isn't detected only floppy-to-floppy install questions are asked.

The GOG release seems different. It's cracked, missing BLEAK5.PIC, and only has the VGA files.