VOGONS

Reply 41 of 54, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would there be an PCI video cards with HDMI that I could use with the Pentium system at least? It's a Asus TX97-E with the latest beta bios and support for 120+gb drives.

Reply 44 of 54, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Radeon 9250 PCI could be a good choice. Radeons have a sharper image than GeForce (see Re: Widescreen monitors and 4:3 aspect ratio compatibility thread), I could even find some new old stock. When coupled with a 1280x1024 panel you will get an excellent albeit a bit too tall image.

Regardless of the GPU though, you will have the issue of having the refresh rate forces by the card at 60 Hz, this messes with games that use the refresh rate as a timer like Lotus 3 or Epic Pinball. A possible hack is to force the EDID to make the card believe is it seeing a 1280x960 @ 70 Hz panel, and use the 4:3 (or 1:1) option of your monitor to preserve the ratio. This way you will get no resampling artifacts, and a correct refresh rate + ratio, all without using VGA or the OSSC: Re: Outputting 720x400@70Hz with the ATi R300 DVI output in DOS

Last edited by cde on 2022-02-24, 19:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 45 of 54, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just tried the Viewsonic VX2418-P-MHD without the EDID hack, here's the result:

- GeForce 4200 Ti + 4:3 option: correct ratio, refresh rate slightly too high (75 Hz), a bit too blurry do to the internal filter applied on all GeForce

- Radeon 9250 + 4:3 option: correct ratio, refresh rate too low (60 Hz), image is sharp

EDIT: I have made a modified VGA BIOS for the 9250 that forces 70 Hz by default, see here Re: Outputting 720x400@70Hz with the ATi R300 DVI output in DOS

Attachments

Reply 46 of 54, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cde wrote on 2022-02-24, 14:20:

The Radeon 9250 PCI could be a good choice.

I've been looking at a Radeon 7000 PCI 32MB, reason being it would be for a Pentium 100 or MMX system so I really don't need anything too advanced. I just want the DVI while keeping compatibility with the PCI slot and not drawing too much power. If I could get even slower with DVI I would, but either I can't find them on ebay or they are waaaaaay overpriced. I'd rather have a TNT, Voodoo, something like a 16MB PCI with DVI if they even exist.

Reply 48 of 54, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Radeon 7000 PCI is much slower than AGP counterpart for unknown reason. It's not PCI bottleneck for sure.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 49 of 54, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Radeon 7000 is too precious for an old PC, too.
It's one of these late cards that can be easily flashed to PPC Mac / used with Mac OS 9.2.2.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 50 of 54, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2022-02-25, 23:47:

The Radeon 7000 is too precious for an old PC, too.
It's one of these late cards that can be easily flashed to PPC Mac / used with Mac OS 9.2.2.

On a side note, I wonder if it works with Second Reality. I don't recall if I ever got a Radeon to work with that demo. My Radeon 9700 definitely does not work. I'm pretty sure I also tried unsuccessfully on an a Radeon 7200 .

Reply 51 of 54, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ended up buying the Samsung G3 24" 144Hz monitor that has VGA, supports 4:3 and IBM / DOS text mode of 720x400. It wasn't all good news though because even though the monitor lets you force 4:3, that's only if it detects a 4:3 aspect ratio... and 720x400 isn't 🙁 so it stretches to full screen. Arg! I have a dell 22" with VGA, and when in Dos mode it specifically says it's running at 720x400 @70Hz. When you force 4:3 on that monitor, it actually does force it. It's to bad because I thought from doing pre buy research and looking at the specs in the manual, if the Samsung lets you force 4:3, it would do just that. Oh well.

If anyone is interested in that monitor, be forewarned not only about the above, but Samsung has 2 different G3 24" versions. Both are 144hz and VA Panels, and both are listed as supporting IBM & Dos text mode. However! only 1 of the monitors has VGA, and it looks like the newer 2021 revision dropped the VGA port. The full model numbers are slightly off, and I ended up ordering the wrong one at first. LS24AG302NNXZA does not have the VGA port. LF24G35TFWMXZN has the VGA port

Reply 52 of 54, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dave343 wrote on 2022-03-18, 18:40:

Ended up buying the Samsung G3 24" 144Hz monitor that has VGA, supports 4:3 and IBM / DOS text mode of 720x400. It wasn't all good news though because even though the monitor lets you force 4:3, that's only if it detects a 4:3 aspect ratio... and 720x400 isn't 🙁 so it stretches to full screen. Arg! I have a dell 22" with VGA, and when in Dos mode it specifically says it's running at 720x400 @70Hz. When you force 4:3 on that monitor, it actually does force it. It's to bad because I thought from doing pre buy research and looking at the specs in the manual, if the Samsung lets you force 4:3, it would do just that. Oh well.

If anyone is interested in that monitor, be forewarned not only about the above, but Samsung has 2 different G3 24" versions. Both are 144hz and VA Panels, and both are listed as supporting IBM & Dos text mode. However! only 1 of the monitors has VGA, and it looks like the newer 2021 revision dropped the VGA port. The full model numbers are slightly off, and I ended up ordering the wrong one at first. LS24AG302NNXZA does not have the VGA port. LF24G35TFWMXZN has the VGA port

IMHO, the fact that page 23 of the manual says "4:3: Display the picture with an aspect ratio of 4:3. Suitable for videos and standard broadcasts" is essentially false advertising . Admittedly, it may just be bad writing. Either way, I would have expected more from Samsung .

Reply 53 of 54, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like a firmware bug, which obviously won't be fixed. Maybe it works properly on other ports though.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.