VOGONS

Photos of my NVIDIA Riva 128

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 46, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I put this little copper heatsink on mine recently - not sure how effective it is but it looks pretty at least. I've put a little fan in the vicinity and a grill slot cover one over from the Riva too, which should keep air moving somewhat. AT cases are almost totally sealed otherwise.

I drilled holes in the front of my case back in the day to help with air flow but I can't bring myself to do that this time around!

IMG_7242.jpg
Filename
IMG_7242.jpg
File size
400.54 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 41 of 46, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-15, 03:34:

Considering the entire reason that the Apple 3 failed so spectacularly was because Steve Jobs insisted on not including a fan,

Even if that was completely made up, it still would be true. That is the most Apple thing I've ever heard. "Let's lose that noisy spinny thingy, it utterly spoils my feng shui, huh"?

I think that this problem has been known for some time. The problem in that case was that the PCBs would warp from the heat and the chips would come loose from their sockets. Apple's advice at the time was too pick the computer up about an inch from the desk and drop it, to try and reseat the chips.

lol, I only ever knew that as a joke, the "acht inch methode" of repairing stuff. Since we don't use freedom units in Germany, it must have been from the states. But it's authentic? Cool.

I like jumpers.

Reply 42 of 46, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-15, 09:18:
Even if that was completely made up, it still would be true. That is the most Apple thing I've ever heard. "Let's lose that nois […]
Show full quote

Considering the entire reason that the Apple 3 failed so spectacularly was because Steve Jobs insisted on not including a fan,

Even if that was completely made up, it still would be true. That is the most Apple thing I've ever heard. "Let's lose that noisy spinny thingy, it utterly spoils my feng shui, huh"?

I think that this problem has been known for some time. The problem in that case was that the PCBs would warp from the heat and the chips would come loose from their sockets. Apple's advice at the time was too pick the computer up about an inch from the desk and drop it, to try and reseat the chips.

🤣, I only ever knew that as a joke, the "acht inch methode" of repairing stuff. Since we don't use freedom units in Germany, it must have been from the states. But it's authentic? Cool.

That particular story about the Apple 3 was all I needed to know about Job's "genius". He was a great idea man and a brilliant marketer, but he knew precisely dick about the tech. The man knew how to make flashy but inferior products sell for insane prices. If his skill at marketing had been only slightly less than it was Apple would have imploded: there was the expensive dumpsterfire called the Lisa (reached too far and was way too expensive for its time), the Apple 3 (yeah Steve, your average business with typewriters going and phones ringing would rather have to drop their brand new 10k computer onto the desk to get it running over having a fan running inside that they likely would not be able to hear, suuuure), the intentional nerfing of the much better Apple 2GS (it was the superior machine, but why let the end user upgrade their systems when we can make them spend an arm and a leg to buy a brand new Mac, so just kneecap it by crippling its speed), etc.

Reply 43 of 46, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣, I only ever knew that as a joke, the "acht inch methode" of repairing stuff. Since we don't use freedom units in Germany, it must have been from the states. But it's authentic? Cool.

Heh, that method still has some currency... lot of SATA drives seem to "walk" out of their connector in laptops, if it hasn't got a convenient hatch to get in there, snug it up and wedge a bunch of cardboard behind it, it gets the bang it on the desk fix.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 44 of 46, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jackal1983 wrote on 2022-03-15, 15:45:
Even if that was completely made up, it still would be true. That is the most Apple thing I've ever heard. "Let's lose that nois […]
Show full quote

That particular story about the Apple 3 was all I needed to know about Job's "genius". He was a great idea man and a brilliant marketer, but he knew precisely dick about the tech. The man knew how to make flashy but inferior products sell for insane prices. If his skill at marketing had been only slightly less than it was Apple would have imploded: there was the expensive dumpsterfire called the Lisa (reached too far and was way too expensive for its time), the Apple 3 (yeah Steve, your average business with typewriters going and phones ringing would rather have to drop their brand new 10k computer onto the desk to get it running over having a fan running inside that they likely would not be able to hear, suuuure), the intentional nerfing of the much better Apple 2GS (it was the superior machine, but why let the end user upgrade their systems when we can make them spend an arm and a leg to buy a brand new Mac, so just kneecap it by crippling its speed), etc.

Around the time I bough my first PC (1997), Apple was simply out of the picture. So far, I only ever knew them as "one of those other machines the games we traded in the schoolyard won't run on."
I really only ever learnt to hate them when I entered the advertising industry in 2007 and Macs are perfectly alternativlos there. Plus, the mad men spent roughly 76 % of their waking hours on being smug about that.

Alas, they might have a point somewhere and brought along some interesting innovations, but... roughly in the OS X era, they've really killed "The Goose that Laid the Golden Eggs" even pissing off their die-hard clientel like showbiz workers and such.
My comprehensive explanation: All their later efforts went towards looking good in ads, all else came second.
The original mighty mouse was an atrocity. Sure, we admit that a second mouse button might be helpful, but you'll have to lift the finger of the other side - dafuq? And the, uhm, "scroll clit" - just no.

Had to work with a fancy macbook air for a few months. Sure, that thing look great in pictures.
But, even the haptic qualities were abysmal. Relatively heavy still, sharp edges, uncomfortable surfaces, shitty keyboard. And it won't engage a fan until the moment you really needed to concentrate, but then it went all Hoover on your ass.

Steve Wozniak is still alive and, going by any photo I ever saw, happy. So there's that. 😜

I like jumpers.

Reply 45 of 46, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-15, 16:05:
Around the time I bough my first PC (1997), Apple was simply out of the picture. So far, I only ever knew them as "one of those […]
Show full quote
Jackal1983 wrote on 2022-03-15, 15:45:

Around the time I bough my first PC (1997), Apple was simply out of the picture. So far, I only ever knew them as "one of those other machines the games we traded in the schoolyard won't run on."
I really only ever learnt to hate them when I entered the advertising industry in 2007 and Macs are perfectly alternativlos there. Plus, the mad men spent roughly 76 % of their waking hours on being smug about that.

Alas, they might have a point somewhere and brought along some interesting innovations, but... roughly in the OS X era, they've really killed "The Goose that Laid the Golden Eggs" even pissing off their die-hard clientel like showbiz workers and such.
My comprehensive explanation: All their later efforts went towards looking good in ads, all else came second.
The original mighty mouse was an atrocity. Sure, we admit that a second mouse button might be helpful, but you'll have to lift the finger of the other side - dafuq? And the, uhm, "scroll clit" - just no.

Had to work with a fancy macbook air for a few months. Sure, that thing look great in pictures.
But, even the haptic qualities were abysmal. Relatively heavy still, sharp edges, uncomfortable surfaces, shitty keyboard. And it won't engage a fan until the moment you really needed to concentrate, but then it went all Hoover on your ass.

Steve Wozniak is still alive and, going by any photo I ever saw, happy. So there's that. 😜

God Bless the Woz. Anyone who wears a Nixie Tube wristwatch is cool in a "if I have to explain it, you'll never get it" way.If only he was a bit more, I dunno, assertive? Apple was best when Woz was an equal to Jobs. Imagine an unchained Apple 2GS with some of the GUI and interface advancements of the original Mac...

Reply 46 of 46, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Woz did finally do the assertive thing, let the chairman figuratively have both barrels, plus his sidearm and the derringer in his sock at a shareholder meeting, but it didn't get him anything for Apple II development, and he quit. Jobs was a dick about it and told all the subcontractors for design and engineering around the area not to have anything to do with Woz's new venture or else they'd lose Apples business... so that didn't help out Woz much... but Jobs crashed and burned out of Apple a few months later, and Woz bought back enough Apple shares then to keep himself comfortable.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.