Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is what I own:

Asus GTX 750 ti sc, was a gift

X4 Zotac p106-90, bought them cheap

X3 MSI NX8400gs-td256e, also cheap

Evga gtx 260 core 216 or whatever, paid to ship

I bougjt Anthem at wallyworld a while back, 7$. I was astounded to find.out it needed at least a gtx 760. But I have the titanium superclocked version. No dice. Would it still work acceptably? I'm not in a position to be a perfecrionist when it comes to gaming.

The Zotacs present a possibility. They don't have hdmi or any other connections. But there's a weird hack that can cause it to pump it's video through the motherboard display port. Or I could solder connectors, the pads are there.

The other cards were just for cases where a serverboards pathetic Rage XL 2D graphics wasn't sufficient to play even smooth video.

I remember when a gt. 1660 was around 200$. I'm not paying bloated prices. So what are my best options? The gtx 750 may get sold off, no big loss I guess, if I decide to sell the box it's currently in.

Reply 1 of 46, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope new GPU list prices drop so people will finally sell their older cards cheap so I can continue my collection. People are currently stuck in place using older hardware that normally would have been $30 on ebay.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 2 of 46, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someday but clearly people have no problems buying today:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gpu-pricing-index

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 46, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My last gpu was a Nvidia GTX 750. In 2013/14.

Answer to that question: Never.

They will be up year after year and with rebranded cards too…

Try to buy one in Brazil. Impossible unless you’re rich. Shouldn’t be that much different in Spain too.

This is why I quit mounting new pcs.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 4 of 46, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2022-03-16, 00:32:

Someday but clearly people have no problems buying today:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gpu-pricing-index

$455 for an entry level gaming GPU? What the hell?
I remember the days when that was the price for a flagship GPU.

Reply 5 of 46, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They're dropping all the time, 20 tanks of gas last month, 10 tanks of gas this month 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 46, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-16, 01:15:

They're dropping all the time, 20 tanks of gas last month, 10 tanks of gas this month 🤣

And 10 bottle caps in a month! 😉

Reply 7 of 46, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually kinda hard to call.

On the lower end...
https://www.techpowerup.com/291779/8-inch-waf … says-trendforce
But some GPUs might need all those chips to be complete, voltage regulators and other glue.

Then governments around the world, Italy, Canada, others started throwing millions around for home grown semiconductor capacity, but that will take a few years to ramp.

Then we've got Intel bringing out it's i740 Mark IIs in May and June and there might be some discounting by AMD and NVidia to try and get your money before Intel does, whether they turn out good or not... then if they're even halfway decent it will be a bit of a battle for your wallet.

On the other hand, it's said that the chip shortage is not even about Covid or anything like that it's pure demand ramping hugely, which when you think of how much GPU like power is going into cars that can do half the driving for you or just so far bill their tech as safety assists, then each car might be needing the equivalent of a dozen GPU worth these days. When you see that the major foundries have in fact increased production 8% quarter on quarter through the whole plague since early 2019 then it looks like that's just a convenient scapegoat for planning failures.

However, I remember something a bit like this happening in early 2013, where it was said 22 nanometer was delayed was delayed for general purpose (RAM gets there early) and there was one or two highly oversubscribed foundries just managing to kick a few wafers out as they had tune up problems, then over the summer intel got their crap together, then everyone and their dog had been busting ass getting their 22nm ready then by the end of 2013 there was almost too much capacity and it was selling for a quarter the price expected for "latest node" then 14nm came online pretty darn quick afterwards really. They run that crap on boom/bust cycles. Same thing might be happening now, everybody throwing money at fab thinking they'll make a mint if they're first, they all arrive in a "peleton" (damn that word has got damaged lately) and suddenly there's 75% off your first 10,000 wafers coupons on your cornflakes box.

Edit: damn I meant to throw this in somewhere, showing we've got a minor opportunity for mid end at the moment... https://www.techpowerup.com/292702/graphics-c … ally-affordable

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 46, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sticking with 1080P gaming for the foreseeable future, so I can get by just fine with the latest integrated GPUs from AMD and Intel, though I still have a small pile of recent-ish Nvidia GPUs that I can throw in a machine.

Reply 9 of 46, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With the energy prices rising, mining crypto's isn't profitable so I expect a lot of hardly used mining gpu's come onto the market in the near future. This way I got my RX 570 during the last crypto bear.
As for the really new stuff, I don't expect prices and availability to drop significantly as these were already high before the chip shortage and covid 19.

Reply 10 of 46, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just came in the news, Shenzhen is in lockdown, including Foxconn.

In terms of production capacities, that's not a crisis, that's a disturbance in the force.

So... ever played the original Prince of Persia?

I like jumpers.

Reply 11 of 46, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It will be a long time. There has been a lot of investment in new fab capacity by existing and new players, but it takes years to bring production online. Then they have to be integrated into existing supply chains. Price could go up or down depending on global events or the price of crypto, but we won't see serious relief until 2024 or later.

Reply 12 of 46, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd expect some time in the next 2-5 years. If the COVID situation gets sorted out, Putin stops invading other countries and China leaves Taiwan alone.

The sad thing is the industry probably won't learn shit and won't decentralize manufacturing so the electronics market will stay vulnerable.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 13 of 46, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Procyon wrote on 2022-03-16, 19:40:

With the energy prices rising, mining crypto's isn't profitable so I expect a lot of hardly used mining gpu's come onto the market in the near future. This way I got my RX 570 during the last crypto bear.

mothergoose729 wrote on 2022-03-16, 20:28:

Price could go up or down depending on global events or the price of crypto, but we won't see serious relief until 2024 or later.

HELL, just when the last monk in Nepalese isolation couldn't any longer fend off the feeling that the whole world is drowning in BS, some enlightened thunderc*nts had to come up with that hommage to Sergei Vankoff.
Eliminating several steps in turning carbon into currency - just what we needed. Humanity going full retard.

Please pardon my French, mais que le baise?

I like jumpers.

Reply 15 of 46, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chris2021 wrote on 2022-03-16, 21:29:

Wotz a thundercunt? Mon ami.

You tell me! I did never write that nasty word here!

To make it clear, I have the utmost respect and admiration for people who develop these currencies or the blockchain concept - many great applications for that.
But turning it into some kind of cyberspace gold rush based on the charred lungs of Mongolian miners, emitting ridiculous amounts of CO2 in the process - that took some genuine human greed and crowd stupidity.

I like jumpers.

Reply 16 of 46, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not anytime soon.
Demand isn't going to decrease and with the state of affairs in the world I doubt that supply will increase any time soon.
If it does increase it will be a very gradual curve and definitely will not be overnight.
I don't honestly have time to play games anyway, I would like to upgrade at times just because my GPU is getting to be "old" at this point. But it is still a GTX 1080 and runs everything I throw at it with relative ease.
So really I've no need to upgrade.

Reply 18 of 46, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chris2021 wrote on 2022-03-16, 21:46:

But no one has actually answered any of my questions. Only read the heading and went to town. Thundersnipes!

Yeah, sorry bout that - just our emotionally stunted way of telling you "we don't have any bloody idea, the world is in shambles, we're all afraid, it's the human condition."

But the upside of it, now I know what "Anthem" is in this context.
Maybe you should get a PS4?

I like jumpers.

Reply 19 of 46, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chris2021 wrote on 2022-03-16, 21:46:

But no one has actually answered any of my questions. Only read the heading and went to town. Thundersnipes!

I read your post several times and I have no idea what the question is. The title is also just more interesting.

When my wife says a lot of stuff and I haven't followed any of it I always answer this way - the second one. Whatever that is and whatever it means to you.