Common searches

Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 722 of 743, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally, I think the Win9x-style mouse pointer is a charming retro touch that fits well visually with the theme of the forum. But to each their own, I guess. 🙂

Reply 724 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anders- wrote on 2021-07-19, 11:19:

Hi, I'm one of those that prefer this website not to override the default cursor.
Would it be possible to add a "custom mouse cursor yes/no" as a checkbox on the "display options" section in the control panel?

This is definitely good UI suggestion. I approve.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 726 of 743, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, it's funny. I really can't understand the stubbornness around keeping the custom cursor. It's a feature that either no one notices, or if they notice it - they dislike it.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 727 of 743, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2020-09-08, 11:30:

I don't miss the old vogons at all. The new one is usable on mobile so it is infinitely better despite some minor issues.

The one thing I still miss is the ability to pick a smiley. I read all about the "just type what smiley you want and it will appear automagically" but it just doesn't work.
I still (and repeatedly) see someone post a smiley with me having no idea how to reproduce it. Quoting or copying won't give me a code I can use and even trying to google the smiley won't give me the correct answer.
For instance this one here 😂which I took from here what will you do when your last hardware fails?
When I copypasted it, I just get this smiley again 😂instead of a code I can simply memorize.
When I google it and come across a site like this one here https://emojipedia.org/face-with-tears-of-joy/ it tells me it should be:

😂 Laughing
😂 Laughing Crying
😂 Laughing Tears
😂 LOL

but when I type : + laughing I get this 😆 smiley instead with no option to pick a different one. So for me it simply doesn't work.
Tbf, I find the notion that this should work just as stupid as "you don't need to know the exact path to a file, just use the search function for everything for any conceivable situation, we don't live in the stone age anymore lololololo"

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 728 of 743, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes the missing emoji function is a bit crap - I'm on Windows 10 so can just use the inbuilt 'win key + .' functionality but without that I'd be working emoji free which is no fun 😶

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 729 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

🤣 the thing with smileys, these days is, that your OS should just add this option to select an emoticon. In my case, on macOS, I have to hit ctrl+command+space and I get the emoticon picker (systemwide). On mobile it works the same as everywhere else you type text, the OS gives the ability these days, not the site.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 731 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The problem of being old and the privilege of the youth 😭

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 732 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I prefer to use the old school 😀

Oh damnit, it was replaced by the forum 🤣

Here:

emoticon.jpg

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 733 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm kind of curious about how the forum handles words like shit poop poo smiling poo etc. in terms of translating them to smileys. Err, emoticons. emojis? Whateverthefuck.

EDIT: Apparently none of those can reproduce a 💩

EDIT2: One more try: pile of poo

EDIT3: No that didn't work. Regardless, about the question above, if you check the code:

<span class="emoji" data-version="6" data-src="1f4a9" data-alt="pile of poo">💩</span>

The data-alt variable seems to contain a name for the emoji you want to reproduce, so if you want to reproduce someone's emoji possibly check the page's code and see if that helps. This pile of poo didn't help, though.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 734 of 743, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote on 2022-03-24, 10:02:

Yes the missing emoji function is a bit crap - I'm on Windows 10 so can just use the inbuilt 'win key + .' functionality but without that I'd be working emoji free which is no fun 😶

I had no idea about this. It does pop up a window with smileys but I'm unable to actually select or copy+paste it apparently it pastes it into the type window once it's selected and then click the smiley, I'm getting there! 😂

Btw, I've only been on Windows 10 for maybe half a year. Was using Windows 7 before that.

badmojo wrote on 2022-03-24, 10:50:
Dominus wrote on 2022-03-24, 10:04:

emoticon

I called them emoticons the other day and was loudly mocked by my children 😁

Ehm...you're actually not the only one where something like this happened, but in whatsapp where some of the younger folks in the group thought "smiley" was really weird and I was supposed to call them emotes or something. But for me emotes are like the dance emotes in Guild Wars, these move for me so I don't know them from any other context.

Report spammers here!

Reply 735 of 743, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2022-03-24, 12:02:
I'm kind of curious about how the forum handles words like shit poop poo smiling poo etc. in terms of translating them to smiley […]
Show full quote

I'm kind of curious about how the forum handles words like shit poop poo smiling poo etc. in terms of translating them to smileys. Err, emoticons. emojis? Whateverthefuck.

EDIT: Apparently none of those can reproduce a 💩

EDIT2: One more try: pile of poo

EDIT3: No that didn't work. Regardless, about the question above, if you check the code:

<span class="emoji" data-version="6" data-src="1f4a9" data-alt="pile of poo">💩</span>

The data-alt variable seems to contain a name for the emoji you want to reproduce, so if you want to reproduce someone's emoji possibly check the page's code and see if that helps. This pile of poo didn't help, though.

It's still gonna be annoying when I use a system without Windows 10 or newer on this forum though, but this way I can at least live with it as I don't typically browse the net with older OSs anyway.

in terms of translating them to smileys. Err, emoticons. emojis? Whateverthefuck.

My guess is next year they will be called something different again 😛

Report spammers here!

Reply 736 of 743, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruninho wrote on 2022-03-24, 11:41:
I prefer to use the old school :-) […]
Show full quote

I prefer to use the old school 😀

Oh damnit, it was replaced by the forum 🤣

Here:

emoticon.jpg

I like this one🙂

Report spammers here!

Reply 739 of 743, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there a function to remove a specific conversation which you participated in and are now "following" via the "Your Posts" tracker? I ask because sometimes conversations within a topic evolve and are no longer of interest. I would love a way to remove the flag from something I responded to.