full tilt pinball
sim city
sim city 2000
nitemare 3d
out of this world
lotus software
i have found some more stuff aswell but im still sorting though it
i have a heap of software now running natively without win 32s
still looking for more so if you guys come up with any more cool stuff please share 😀

Reply 41 of 105, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fury3 I loved that game as a kid. The rest of the list is sweet as well. I can't remember if you listed it or not but Sim tower, Sim Safari, and Sim Park are also excellent windows 3.11 games

Reply 44 of 105, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi All So this is all the software i currently have installed and working natively in windows 3.11 without Win32s Support
If you have any more software suggestions or ideas please leave a comment 😀

Software i am am aware of but dont have installed cause i dont have any interest:
madeline european adventures
Ms Bob
All the Freddie the fish games
all the reader rabbit games
all the magic school bus games
sim ant
sim earth
sim safari
sim park
sim health
sim golf
ms golf
LOGICAL JOURNEY OF THE ZOOMBINIS
Still looking for some more photo editing software. i do have MGI Photo suit but it would not run.
Looking for more Midi And Mod Players
Thanks All

Attachments

Reply 47 of 105, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote on 2022-03-26, 10:06:

What machines are you using CPU/GPU ? What resolution/bitdeph?

I use a 486dx33 or faster. With 8mb or 16mb of RAM.
“Sound Blaster 16 Pro” compliant sound card which is basically an ISA sound card with a Yamaha OPL3 chip.
4x CDROM or faster, 1mb Video card or better,
This should run 95% of these Programs and Games in Good Quality.

But a 486dx2-66 is Better and a 486dx4-100 is Best as a 486 CPU goes.
AMD 5x86 is Best too.

But Optimally, the 1st Gen Pentium runs this stuff the best.
Pentium 75mhz thru 233mhz.

They Made an Intel Pentium Over drive CPU for the 486 socket 3.

See this LGR Video for comparison.
https://youtu.be/jISmJG8QK0A

LGR 486dx4-100 Over drive video:
https://youtu.be/t4HMHOTb8hc

Phils video:
https://youtu.be/3z8YikKqokg

Reply 48 of 105, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I keep seeing people mentioning Micro$hit Encarta. Screw that. Compton and Grolier are what you want.
You also need lots of screensavers. Afterdark is definitely a must have. I think v2.0 is the one I had.
I had the floppy disk version of the Jurassic Park screensaver. The best part of that one was the password lockout system that had the animation of Nedry saying "Ah ah ah, you didn't say the magic word." There was supposed to be a CD-ROM version with improved graphics, but I never got to try it. Not sure if it just installed from CD-ROM or required the disk to be in the drive. I think it may have contained videoclips from the film.
One of the last screensavers I tried was the Star Wars one. I think it came out around the time of the 1995 THX re-release. It had some pretty sweet midi files.

You should also make sure you have benchmark software installed to make sure your copy of Windows 3.x is fully optimised. I've always been a fan of Wintune 2.0.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 49 of 105, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

my god so many memories

on windows 3.1 i used some programs to change the icons:
Icon Do-It
Icon hear-it

games like civilization1 for windows 3.1 (+ the delay patch) The best version because it looks like the macinthosh release, i hate the DOS version
Spectre VR (played on MAC and there is a win 3.1 version too) love that 3D before voodoo cards.
many of the afterdark packs, there is a ton
winplay3 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinPlay3
hours and hours in MIRC

Reply 50 of 105, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really like the DOS version of civ1, but never tried the windows 3.x version. Does it retain the cheesy graphics and midi?

Reply 51 of 105, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-03-27, 08:07:

I really like the DOS version of civ1, but never tried the windows 3.x version. Does it retain the cheesy graphics and midi?

the windows 3.x version has way better graphics than the DOS version, you can look at this video of the win 3.1 version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28IhouNUnyw

the reason why i hate Civilization 1 for DOS its because i used to play that game on a Mac color classic in school. The game looked really nice on a MAC, and when i tried the DOS version in my house, i felt it was really crappy in terms of graphics, altho many people liked it, i did not. After some time i was able to buy in the 90s the win 3.1 version of it, sadly the only thing i kept was the original manual of it, because the rest got lost changing homes. The windows 3.1 version is the one that looks almost like the Mac version. and Its the one i always play

Reply 52 of 105, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BLockOUT wrote on 2022-04-02, 04:42:
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-03-27, 08:07:

the windows 3.x version has way better graphics than the DOS version, you can look at this video of the win 3.1 version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28IhouNUnyw

the reason why i hate Civilization 1 for DOS its because i used to play that game on a Mac color classic in school. The game looked really nice on a MAC, and when i tried the DOS version in my house, i felt it was really crappy in terms of graphics, altho many people liked it, i did not. After some time i was able to buy in the 90s the win 3.1 version of it, sadly the only thing i kept was the original manual of it, because the rest got lost changing homes. The windows 3.1 version is the one that looks almost like the Mac version. and Its the one i always play

That's completely understandable, I think. The Mac never was good performance wise, but it had a valuable feature - no 320x200 resolution mode! 😜
Mac games from the very beginning had to work with a 512x384 resolution and up (640x480 quickly got popular).
Even though it was monochrome-only originally.
To be fair, PC had Hercules also (720x348). However, game developers always relied on CGA emulation here.
Barely any games made use of the razor sharp Hercules mode, with the exception of simulations or interactive-fiction, maybe.

Edit: Back in the 80s, Mac's "System" was run on different platforms through emulations.
Imagine, if someone had written an emulator for PC/AT or AT/386 with Hercules card!
This thing would have had been a bestseller in no time for sure. System's Finder in 720x348! Whew!
Oddly though, it never happened?

Here's another excellent 1988 game that looks very good on Mac.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/macintosh/colony/screenshots

Edit: That also was one of the reasons I liked Windows 3.1 games for.
VGA in 640x480 in either 16c or 256c was the defacto standard for Windows and games had to be designed accordingly.

Ok, technically, the Atari ST also had a nice 640x400 mode similar to Windows 3.x VGA.
But it was monochrome and very few game developers supported it.
They rather focused on colour count and 320x200 mode.
And didn't really use GEM/VDI, but did that bare metal programming.
Only a few true desktop games did support both 640x200 in 16c and 640x400 mono.

Edit: Typos fixed.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 53 of 105, by Ringding

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isn’t it the same graphics as in the DOS version, just shown at a higher resolution, so you can see more of the map? The tiles are even visibly non-square because of the different aspect ratios. I’m just talking about the map itself; the user interface elements around it seem to have been upgraded a bit to make better use of the higher resolution.

Reply 54 of 105, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ringding wrote on 2022-04-02, 08:46:

Isn’t it the same graphics as in the DOS version, just shown at a higher resolution, so you can see more of the map? The tiles are even visibly non-square because of the different aspect ratios. I’m just talking about the map itself; the user interface elements around it seem to have been upgraded a bit to make better use of the higher resolution.

i think the intro and the menus were better too on the win 3.1 version

Reply 55 of 105, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am going to need a larger capacity hard drive.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2022-04-05, 19:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 56 of 105, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-04-03, 03:07:

I am going to need a BIGGER Hard drive.

And park.com, maybe. ;)

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 57 of 105, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More software i got for win 3.1
Aldus Photostyler

love that MFM drive you have
mine crashed in my 286
so im stuck using a xt to ide flash card but it only runs at 8 bit
so its very slow
it runs windows 3 in real mode as it has only 640k ram
its hard to find software that runs on windows 3 in real mode

Reply 58 of 105, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vkcpolice wrote on 2022-04-03, 04:11:

its hard to find software that runs on windows 3 in real mode

Some programs, such as those written with Turbo Pascal/Windows, may run in theory, but in practice the little conventional memory of ~640KB isn't enough for them to fit. 🙁

Even in the Windows 1.x days, Windows programs ran out of memory quickly.
The only way out is bank-switching via Expanded Memory.

Luckily, Windows 3 Real Mode kernal can use Expanded Memory.

But yeah, Windows 3.0 was quickly obsoleted by Windows 3.0 MME and Windows 3.1x.

Most programs want to see Windows 3.1, thus.
Unfortunately, it can run on 286+ only. 🙁

Personally, I can merely attest that the 286 from my childhood ran very well on Windows 3.1x.
It had both banks filled with 1MB SIMMs, though.

And that's the problem. It's not possible to use the full potential of a 286 with a lousy Megabyte of RAM, no matter how.

One Megabyte was barely enough for professional software from ~1986, even.
DesqView, Lotus 123, DTP programs etc. they all wanted more memory than available.

That's why Expanded Memory boards for DOS and PC/XTs came into existence.
Most started with 512KB capacity, whike 2MB was the "full" capacity often. Of course, EMS can go up to 32MB, but I meant in practice. Memory was expensive back then.

As a workaround, professional software also used overlays or swap files sometimes.
Which was very slow, though, especially if huge amounts of data were processed (dBase databases, etc).
Sadly, though, Windows never used them. It didn't even supported swap files on a 286 like OS/2 1.x did,
but entirely relied on the hardware paging ability of the 386 MMU. Those lazy dogs at Microsoft. 😉

//My video channel//

Reply 59 of 105, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's kind of bullshit that Windows 3.1 can't use virtual memory on a 286. I don't think it was because Microsoft was lazy. It was likely intentional (to get developers to focus on the 386).