VOGONS

First post, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a couple of cards that im thinking about fixing, because i looked at ebay prices and they are crazy.

1) One is a voodoo3 card that is giving me very light pixel artifacts when i use it even opening windows under windows98 from a brand called powercoolor evilking

2) the second card that also gives me very light pixel artifacts randomly is a radeon 9800pro AIW.

3) the third card that is giving me artifacts is a geforce 6800 ultra.

but i want to know some things before looking for replacement memory chips:

Is there a tool for agp cards that i can use to test the memory and the tool to tell me which of the leys say 8 memory chips is the faulty one? or all of the chips need to be replaced and there is no way to know?
for example the voodoo3 card sure i can do the job easly because its not BGA memory, but the radeon9800pro and the 6800ultra they have BGA memory which makes things more difficult.

Reply 1 of 5, by Donovan V.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know of a little program that tests memory but the thing is it cannot tell you which chip is the faulty one. Video Memory Stress Test.

Pasting this link but do let me know if that's a no no.
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/vide … tress_test.html

That said, the last time I had light arctifacting on a GPU the capacitors had gone bad. Not to say that RAM on a GPU doesnt die but maybe you might want to check capacitors first, both the ceramic SMD's and any electrolytics your card may have.

Reply 2 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Be sure to try the bootable ISO included with the VMT download from Majorgeeks, which runs in DOS as well as the Windows version. However, people's luck hasn't been great in the past...
Testing VRAM on older cards under DOS?
How do I pinpoint which specific vram chip is faulty?
Video cards memory test best every memory cell? Something like memtest for RAM?
Video Corruption Issue (AGP Voodoo 5 5500)
graphical artifacts only at low resolutions - dying card? bad caps?

That said, besides the ISO, there's also an FLP floppy image available here: http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en
as well as here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vmtce/files/

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 5, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

BGA memory is a pain in the butt to replace, even reflowing it is difficult unless you have a pre-heater to get the PCB up to temp, have had to consider this recently when trying to repair a Ti4600 with bad BGA memory. Had to .. pre-heat the PCB in the oven before reflowing the BGA chips with a hot air station, sadly it didn't improve the artefact's so its likely I will have to replace all the memory on the card.

There really is no way of pinpointing which chip has gone bad with BGA so its a all or nothing type of situation, with your Voodoo3 you at least have access to the pins on the chips so with a multimeter you could possibly locate which specific chip has died.

Reply 4 of 5, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BLockOUT wrote on 2022-03-26, 02:48:

Is there a tool for agp cards that i can use to test the memory and the tool to tell me which of the leys say 8 memory chips is the faulty one? or all of the chips need to be replaced and there is no way to know?

No. Because of memory organization/controller configuration/interleaving depending on the gpu model its impossible to determine unless its manufacturer own tool (like Nvidia mats/mods). Fault might also lie in memory controller (common in modern nvidia), plus in case of old cards it can be connection between ram and gpu (broken track, cracked solder joint).

for example the voodoo3 card sure i can do the job easly because its not BGA memory, but the radeon9800pro and the 6800ultra they have BGA memory which makes things more difficult.

Have you ever soldered smd? First suggestion is get a bunch of obsolete/garbage electronics and practice desoldering and soldering stuff back until you get good enough nobody can tell something was moved or you repeatedly get back to working state. So after a ~month of hard work learning you might be ready to actually repair something without destroying it 😀 Other option is to sell broken stuff documenting the defect in detail, and buying what you actually wanted in the first place.
"Ill give it a try, its already broken so nothing lost either way" is nonsense considering prices of voodoo3, its still worth $ to someone with appropriate skills.

TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-27, 08:49:

BGA memory is a pain in the butt to replace, even reflowing it is difficult unless you have a pre-heater to get the PCB up to temp, have had to consider this recently when trying to repair a Ti4600 with bad BGA memory. Had to .. pre-heat the PCB in the oven before reflowing the BGA chips with a hot air station, sadly it didn't improve the artefact's so its likely I will have to replace all the memory on the card.

reflowing rarely helps in case of oxidized cracked joints. You need flux, nudging and luck for the broken joint to grab back. Reballing is the way to go _if_ connection was the issue (pressing fixes it/visible liquid damage present).

There really is no way of pinpointing which chip has gone bad with BGA so its a all or nothing type of situation

Divide and conquer, replace half the ram and retest. More soldering but you eventually end up with only the broken parts replaced. Other option is replacing one at a time, slower but less stress on the parts.

with your Voodoo3 you at least have access to the pins on the chips so with a multimeter you could possibly locate which specific chip has died.

How would you propose that? Its not like all ram dies with supply/output buffers blown.

Donovan V. wrote on 2022-03-26, 02:56:

That said, the last time I had light arctifacting on a GPU the capacitors had gone bad. Not to say that RAM on a GPU doesnt die but maybe you might want to check capacitors first, both the ceramic SMD's and any electrolytics your card may have.

Yes, "Thou shalt check voltages"! Bad electrolytics mean high ripple, bad smds bad decoupling. Sometimes can be diagnosed by lowering memory/GPU clocks all the way down.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 5, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-03-27, 18:18:
No. Because of memory organization/controller configuration/interleaving depending on the gpu model its impossible to determine […]
Show full quote

No. Because of memory organization/controller configuration/interleaving depending on the gpu model its impossible to determine unless its manufacturer own tool (like Nvidia mats/mods). Fault might also lie in memory controller (common in modern nvidia), plus in case of old cards it can be connection between ram and gpu (broken track, cracked solder joint).

Have you ever soldered smd? First suggestion is get a bunch of obsolete/garbage electronics and practice desoldering and soldering stuff back until you get good enough nobody can tell something was moved or you repeatedly get back to working state. So after a ~month of hard work learning you might be ready to actually repair something without destroying it 😀 Other option is to sell broken stuff documenting the defect in detail, and buying what you actually wanted in the first place.
"Ill give it a try, its already broken so nothing lost either way" is nonsense considering prices of voodoo3, its still worth $ to someone with appropriate skills.

reflowing rarely helps in case of oxidized cracked joints. You need flux, nudging and luck for the broken joint to grab back. Reballing is the way to go _if_ connection was the issue (pressing fixes it/visible liquid damage present).

There really is no way of pinpointing which chip has gone bad with BGA so its a all or nothing type of situation

Divide and conquer, replace half the ram and retest. More soldering but you eventually end up with only the broken parts replaced. Other option is replacing one at a time, slower but less stress on the parts.

with your Voodoo3 you at least have access to the pins on the chips so with a multimeter you could possibly locate which specific chip has died.

How would you propose that? Its not like all ram dies with supply/output buffers blown.

Donovan V. wrote on 2022-03-26, 02:56:

Yes, "Thou shalt check voltages"! Bad electrolytics mean high ripple, bad smds bad decoupling. Sometimes can be diagnosed by lowering memory/GPU clocks all the way down.

Its why I said possibly, depending how the ram chip has died, but since its a Voodoo3 just simply replacing all the chips would be easier.