VOGONS

First post, by Guardshell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

Thinking about getting an OPLV3LPT for my HP TT5530 thin client running windows 98. If I'm running windows do I have to unplug the phono jack to the speakers back into the motherboard phono

Then when running dos plug into the OPL or does it have a passthrough so I don't have to unplug the jack every time?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 6, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome to the forum!😃
To answer your question: If your thin client has an audio in port it can likely be configured to mix the line in signal into the output. Look for an option like that. Ortherwise I'd suggest getting an inexpensive external mixer so you don't have to switch the cable between inputs all the time. Makes your life a lot easier.😉

By the way: This part of Vogons ('The Guide') is dedicated to getting old games to run on newer systems and supported OS.
The thin client topics are about older hardware and unsupported OS, so they're supposed to go into the 'Marvin' subforum. Your previous thread had been moved accordingly.
This topic is probably best suited for Marvin->Sound. You will get better support there and the forum is kept orderly.
I'll ask the mods to move the thread for you.👍
Cheers!😃

Reply 3 of 6, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'phono splitter'?
'Phono' usually means a turntable if I'm not mistaken and those traditionally need a certain filter to sound right, that's why there's a dedicated 'phono' input on older amplifiers to differentiate between regular audio inputs and inputs for turntables. I'm not trying to be a smartass here, if you have a device that's meant for old turntables it won't sound right with regular audio sources.
Or do you just mean a passive audio switch? Like with buttons to select between sources like a TV, a CD player, a tape deck or a receiver? That'll do just fine.👍

Reply 5 of 6, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Guardshell wrote on 2022-03-31, 16:02:

Those things are hit or miss depending on the devices you hook up to them.
Keep in mind that with a cable like this you always send the audio signal into parts of another device's output. That can cause distortions depending on the individual circuits. Analog signals are not meant to work like that.