VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 262, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-06, 23:46:
I thought the same. But merely the band of sharpshooters and the first episode were called "Sharpe's Rifles". […]
Show full quote
chris2021 wrote on 2022-04-06, 23:23:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-06, 21:50:
Sean Bean? Is he still alive? Classic Bean: Sharpe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpe_(TV_series) Later episodes felt a bit sl […]
Show full quote

Sean Bean? Is he still alive?
Classic Bean: Sharpe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpe_(TV_series)
Later episodes felt a bit slow but I enjoyed them all.

I remember that show, but I would have swore it was called Sharpe's Rifles or something.. Good watch. Yeah Bean was the quintessential Irish prickly person 🤣.

I thought the same. But merely the band of sharpshooters and the first episode were called "Sharpe's Rifles".

He's not Irish, mind you. He's from Sheffield, Yorkshire.

Think I remember an interview where he explains Ned Stark's accent.
They asked him in the casting something to the effect of "Is that you real accent?"
- "Aay."
"And can you do any other accent?"
-"Naaaa".

Although he might actually have mastered a half decent Irish accent as IRA terrorist Miller in "Patriot Games".

My last name is celtic irish. My paternal great grandmom's maiden name could be construed as the same, but in reality is Welsh, at least in it's origins. Go figure. The UK, in particular England has had a lot of ethnic turnover through the centuries, indigenous celts, anglo-saxon (german), norman, spansih, etc. And I know I could get in heaps of trouble stating something like this is many parts of the UK (possibly allnof them 🤣). But oftentimes there isn't a whole lot of difference between the Irish and English.

He plays the part of an Irishman quite well. Myself and probably most people identify him more then anything by his role in PGs as you stated.

Reply 61 of 262, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I loved all of the 80/90s series, growing as a kid back then. I watched Miami Vice, Growing Pains, Full House, Blossom, Party of Five, 90210, Melrose Place, Silk Stalkings, ER, Renegade, Magnum, Macgyver (this one my favorite #1 show), Moonlighting, Married with Children, Alf, Knight Rider, The Dukes of Hazzard, Dungeons & Dragons (this one got me pissed because they always missed the opportunity to come back to their world), Ducktales, Teenage Mutant Ninjas, Pole Position, Jaspion and so on… so many tv shows from my childhood days.

One day my dad bought some dvds from National Kid - he watched it as a kid and I tried to watch with him… seriously… I was asleep pretty quick.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 62 of 262, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2022-04-06, 23:54:

Starting rewatching 2005 dr.who series. Want to also rewatch b5 before the remake comes out.

I’m disappointed that Dr Who and Red dwarf (mainly newer series) aren’t very accessible without spending on yet another streaming channel I won’t watch much

Reply 63 of 262, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Britbox is very much on my soon to do list. You can watch ALL the Dr.Whos back to the 60s. Minus the few.lost episodes. Bumbling idiots went and lost them.

I didn't know there was a new Red Dward. It's been a long time since I've seen that. There was another show, all I can remember is the captain of a millennium falcon type affair tried to murder 1 of his crewmen, in order to save himself and the rest of the crew. Ended up not having to.

Reply 64 of 262, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah who am I kidding. I still have to join Peacock for a month in order to watch the last 4 seasons of the Office. Strangely Community is not available there, but I have the dvds. I really need to watch Parks and Recreation strait through at least once. I want to say I've seen half of them. Saw the one where Tammy 1 shows up to help Ron with a tax audit. The ending is a scream to me. I still get a huge kick out of certain episodes.

Reply 65 of 262, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rmay635703 wrote on 2022-04-07, 01:17:

I’m disappointed that Dr Who and Red dwarf (mainly newer series) aren’t very accessible without spending on yet another streaming channel I won’t watch much

*laughs in pirate'ish*

Reply 66 of 262, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Starting rewatching 2005 dr.who series. Want to also rewatch b5 before the remake comes out.

They are obtainable on physical media . I have Promised Land on Blu-ray and most of the earlier ones on DVD .

Reply 67 of 262, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2022-04-07, 03:05:

They are obtainable on physical media . I have Promised Land on Blu-ray and most of the earlier ones on DVD .

I watched old Red Dwarf and
Doctor Who Through 2017 using the library but sadly Doctor Who stops there
Modern Red Dwarf doesn’t appear to be available at all

Reply 69 of 262, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote on 2022-04-07, 03:17:
I watched old Red Dwarf and Doctor Who Through 2017 using the library but sadly Doctor Who stops there Modern Red Dwarf doesn’t […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2022-04-07, 03:05:

I watched old Red Dwarf and
Doctor Who Through 2017 using the library but sadly Doctor Who stops there
Modern Red Dwarf doesn’t appear to be available at all

I think I pretty much have the full Red Dwarf set on physical media . I can't speak about current availability, but they were available at some point. For reference, these are all North American NTSC releases .
Am I missing any ?

Old :

rd_1_8.jpg
Filename
rd_1_8.jpg
File size
481.44 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

New :

rd_9_13.JPG
Filename
rd_9_13.JPG
File size
238.82 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 70 of 262, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was total oblivious of it's existence until about 2 years ago, and am definitely not watching it currently (nor likely will ever again), but I was very impressed with Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles. I can't possibly overestimate what I thought of the show. Absolutely loved it.

Problem is I watched it 6 times. The entire season and a half. Anything would become uninteresting if you do it that much. Ok, most things ...

Reply 71 of 262, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Made it through the first 6 seasons of GoT and started Season 7.

I have noticed a distinct drop in quality in just the first couple episodes. Dialog feels more stilted and everything feels a bit more rushed; scenes don't have the setups or breathing room they used to. And scenes that should have dramatic gravitas (like the Cersei / Euron Greyjoy throne room scene) feel lacking.

On the other hand, I still enjoy the generation production of the show and will continue onward.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 72 of 262, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-04-07, 12:50:

everything feels a bit more rushed

Wait till Varys travels from Essos to Westeros and back to Essos within 15 minutes!
HUqdLWG.jpg

Reply 73 of 262, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have too much physical media already :0
I managed to see RD 9 now I will have to get the rest, what’s funny is Pluto occasionally would show a modern Red dwarf on an odd channel, too bad they are such obstinate bastards about having a search or schedule

Yeah the Terminator TV show definitely came out at the wrong time, my guess is if it could have released 2012+ it would have gotten 3+ seasons, was at least more interesting than the usual fare.

Similar to Stargate Destiny, if it would have released as a modern streaming show it would have done fine compared to what passes as Sci-fi these days. It had many flaws and was too moodi/dramatic (similar to modern streaming). I would have liked to see the story completed even though everyone was winey.

I was always disappointed Earth 2 didn’t get more episodes as well

Reply 76 of 262, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just finished watching Reacher on Amazon Prime. I never read the novels so I can't speak about how well adapted the show was, but the first season wrapped itself up pretty damn well, I enjoyed it throughout. I can recommend it if you have time to binge an 8 episode show one of these days.

I still think the casting was wrong though. While Alan Ritchson does look like a mini-Hulk he looks too baby face and too young to the Reacher the show tries to portray. I think they should have gone with Joel Kinnaman instead. He was amazing in Altered Carbon Season 1.

Speaking of which, DO WATCH Altered Carbon Season 1. Skip season 2 completely though. That hawk-something dude from the MCU movies completely ruined Season 2 as a lead..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 77 of 262, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-08, 06:20:

I am currently watching the Witcher Season 2. I never got the energy to play the games ever.

Witcher S2 was disappointing. Don't see this show making it to a S3.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 78 of 262, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2022-04-08, 10:00:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-08, 06:20:

I am currently watching the Witcher Season 2. I never got the energy to play the games ever.

Witcher S2 was disappointing. Don't see this show making it to a S3.

I remember S1 had a good and intense starting but this one started slowly, as if I am in the middle of a series.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 79 of 262, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Witcher Season 1 was the most confusing, convoluted and visually underwhelming thing I watched in 2021 to be honest. I have zero intention of watching Season 2 despite admiring Cavill as a person.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.