VOGONS

First post, by Sunoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’m setting up a Windows for Workgroups machine, and whenever I set the resolution or color depth above the base, I get the below error. The machine has 128mb of RAM though, so it really doesn’t make any sense and I haven’t noticed any actual issues after the message appears. Is there a maximum amount of memory for Win 3.1 before weirdness happens? I haven’t been able to find one documented anywhere. If it matters at all, the video card is a Trio64 with (if I remember right) 2mb of RAM.

Extremely Low on Memory […]
Show full quote

Extremely Low on Memory

There is not enough memory to convert all the program icons.
The icons which are not converted will appear black. You can
fix this by choosing FILE.PROPERTIES from the program manager

Reply 1 of 24, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its possible that Win 3.11 simply cannot handle 128mb of memory . .even DOS has issues with more than 64mb, if you have a 64mb stick or two 32mb sticks I would drop down to 64mb and see if the message goes away, I cant remember if there is a memory patch for 3.11.

Since win 3.11 is simply a shell running on DOS its bound by the same limitations DOS has.

You could just leave it as it is and ignore the message, but In my experience both DOS and WFW dont operate correctly with more than 64mb.

Reply 2 of 24, by Sunoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Weirdly it doesn’t do it as long as I stick to 640x480 at 256 colors.

I’ll try pulling some RAM out. If I remember right it’s two 64mb sticks, but I think there is some onboard memory that becomes active when there is less than 128mb installed, so I’m not sure I can get down to 64 without hitting up eBay.

Reply 3 of 24, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have the 3.11 drivers for your video card ?

You could try another card with more memory on it and see what that does, perhaps some of the Vram on the trio has failed and while it reports it as being there windows cant use it.

Reply 5 of 24, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-04-07, 04:06:

Its possible that Win 3.11 simply cannot handle 128mb of memory .

No, I have an AMD Athlon with 640MB and WFW 3.11 runs OK. I noticed the WFW only seems to use about 256MB though.

Attachments

• WFW311.png
    Filename
    WFW311.png
    File size
    3.64 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    WFW only seems to use about 256MB
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2022-04-07, 07:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 24, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red-ray wrote on 2022-04-07, 07:49:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-04-07, 04:06:

Its possible that Win 3.11 simply cannot handle 128mb of memory .

No, I have an AMD Athlon with 640MB and WFW 3.11 runs OK.

As soon as the resolution issue was mentioned I thought its actually something with the GPU itself but with the right drivers it should be working fine .. perhaps the card itself has a Vram problem.

Reply 7 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://jeffpar.github.io/kbarchive/kb/084/Q84388/

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 24, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-04-07, 07:52:

As soon as the resolution issue was mentioned I thought its actually something with the GPU itself but with the right drivers it should be working fine .

I would be inclined to try a different GPU, what is the most recent NVidia GPU that has WFW 3.11 drivers? I looked on the NVidia download site and I can't find any card with WFW 3.11 drivers 🙁

Today I have my nVidia NV5 [Vanta/Vanta LT] (PCI ID 10DE-002C-10DE-0072-15) in the system and am using the inbuilt SVGA driver.

Reply 9 of 24, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red-ray wrote on 2022-04-07, 09:25:

As soon as the resolution issue was mentioned I thought its actually something with the GPU itself but with the right drivers it should be working fine .

I would be inclined to try a different GPU, what is the most recent NVidia GPU that has WFW 3.11 drivers? I looked on the NVidia download site and I can't find any card with WFW 3.11 drivers 🙁

Today I have my nVidia NV5 [Vanta/Vanta LT] (PCI ID 10DE-002C-10DE-0072-15) in the system and am using the inbuilt SVGA driver.

Op said its a Trio64 so by rights it should be perfectly fine for Win 3.11, I would throw a bog standard S3 Virge PCI in there and see if it did the same thing but OP has not posted again. Perhaps they sorted it out.

Reply 10 of 24, by Sunoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-04-07, 09:52:

OP has not posted again. Perhaps they sorted it out.

My last post was about midnight, so I’ve been sleeping in the meantime. Catching up on this thread now.

Jo22 wrote on 2022-04-07, 08:27:

This sounds like the max is 256mb including virtual. I’ll have to check to see what it assigned for virtual, but I can likely just disable that with 128mb of physical.

As soon as the resolution issue was mentioned I thought its actually something with the GPU itself but with the right drivers it should be working fine .. perhaps the card itself has a Vram problem.

If it’s talking about converting icons, wouldn’t that be done in system RAM, not VRAM?

I would be inclined to try a different GPU

Unfortunately I don’t have another PCI or ISA graphics card to throw at this, and am reluctant to just buy random hardware off eBay when this really should work.

Reply 11 of 24, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sunoo wrote on 2022-04-07, 10:04:
My last post was about midnight, so I’ve been sleeping in the meantime. Catching up on this thread now. […]
Show full quote
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-04-07, 09:52:

OP has not posted again. Perhaps they sorted it out.

My last post was about midnight, so I’ve been sleeping in the meantime. Catching up on this thread now.

Jo22 wrote on 2022-04-07, 08:27:

This sounds like the max is 256mb including virtual. I’ll have to check to see what it assigned for virtual, but I can likely just disable that with 128mb of physical.

If it’s talking about converting icons, wouldn’t that be done in system RAM, not VRAM?

I would be inclined to try a different GPU

Unfortunately I don’t have another PCI or ISA graphics card to throw at this, and am reluctant to just buy random hardware off eBay when this really should work.

Resolution size and colour limitations are linked directly to Vram, the fact it doesnt have the issue with 640x480x256 seems to suggest its having issues when its using more Vram at higher resolutions and colours, since Win3.11 relies directly on the GPU for raster operations like DOS does it could be trying to use VRam to render the icons at a higher colour setting.

It could be either the driver is conflicting with something, the Vram is defective or possibly its trying to also use system memory in a similar manner AGP cards would when the GPU runs out of Vram and its having issues when doing so.

Its been a long time since I last used Win3.11 but you could try a different driver, since its a Trio there should be a number of different versions you could try to see if its a driver issue.

Reply 12 of 24, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sunoo wrote on 2022-04-07, 10:04:

Again the physical memory size is not an issue, my WFW 3.11 system has 640MB physical and 256MB of virtual.

I just tried an S3 Trio64V2/DX on WFW 3.11 and it "just worked", given they cost 11.99 or 19.95 for a 2MB one getting one seems a sensible way forward.

I have attached a screen shot from 2003 so you can see what the system is and what the S3 should be good for on WFW once you get the WFW S3 drivers

Attachments

• WFW311.png
    Filename
    WFW311.png
    File size
    2.51 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    1024 x 768 x 8 on WFW with SVGA driver
    File license
    Public domain
  • RAA.png
    Filename
    RAA.png
    File size
    89.27 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    1152 x 864 x 16 @ 60Hz on 2003 with S3 driver
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 13 of 24, by Sunoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, not sure what I changed, I looked at virtual memory, but don’t think I changed any settings. However, now it works in every resolution and every color depth with the exception of 16.7M colors (which I wouldn’t use anyways). So I guess I’m good?

Thanks for the help troubleshooting.

Reply 16 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi. Things that come to mind:
How does the UMA look? Are on-board devices using it (USB, ethernet etc)?
Is the 15-16MB area free or occupied ("memory hole" enabled?)
Is "shadow memory" enabled (in CMOS Setup) for all regions?

Is EMM386 running? If so, MemMaker can solve conflicts and make extra memory available to Windows.

That VBE20 TSR could be used to enable certain features (linear framebuffer).

Edit: The newer Himem.sys from DOS 7 could be used, but there are differences.

What order does Windows 3.11 use memory?

Edit: EMM386 from DOS 7 may also work, but its switches are not fully compatible with MemMaker.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi again! Just wanted to let you know that you didn't anything wrong likely.

DOSBox uses Trio32/64 as a reference, Connectix/Microsoft Virtual PC the Trio64V+.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S3_Trio

Both cards can do high resolutions/colour depths just fine.
The most recent screenshot I had taken was done in 1600x1200@256c with an emulated S3 Trio32/64 via DOSBox (machine=svga_s3):
Re: Emulation on MS Windows 3.1x ?

That beibg said.. Please note that there are different drivers for different S3 cards.

The Trio64v+ might be compatible with some drivers written for older S3 chips,
but certain compatibility issues might occur.

This reminds me of the emulated Trio in DOSBox, by the way.
If memory serves, back in the 2000s, when DOSBox was young (v0.63 and before),
we didn't use the standard Trio32/64 driver yet, but a slightly older version.

Edit: I've searched by personal archive for useful things. Hope it helps.
If you like to try them, please make a backup of your Windows installation first.

Attachments

• Filename
    S3_Trio64V.zip
    File size
    611.61 KiB
    Downloads
    60 downloads
    File comment
    Windows 3.1 driver for S3 Trio64V
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    s3_8x14mode.zip
    File size
    77.45 KiB
    Downloads
    59 downloads
    File comment
    Brings back 8x14 font
    File license
  • Filename
    s3vbe318.zip
    File size
    25.61 KiB
    Downloads
    60 downloads
    File comment
    S3 VBE/Core 2.0 Version 3.18
    File license
  • Filename
    S3-VGA_864141B5.zip
    File size
    600.42 KiB
    Downloads
    41 downloads
    File comment
    Old S3 Windows driver for ancient DOSBox (S3 Vision864)
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 18 of 24, by Sunoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’m not sure how to check some of those offhand.

I have 608K of conventional memory free. Not sure how to check 15-16mb. Shadow memory is enabled.

EMM386 is running, but memmaker said it couldn’t do any better than was already done.

Not sure what “that VBE20 TSR” is, but I’m willing to give it a try I guess?

I don’t have a 64V, it’s 86C764-P. The driver I’m running is s3trio.drv, looks like version 1.3B8?