VOGONS

Reply 2760 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks for the kind words Shreddoc!
if noone comes forward it is no issue for me to ship to any of these regions tbh but we'll have to wait a little for things to clear before this can possibly happen

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2761 of 3172, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2022-04-08, 20:19:

pre-order page is live: http://pcmidi.eu/argus.html

Is it broken? It still says 0 out of 15 pre-orders made after I placed an order. Was my order lost?

Reply 2762 of 3172, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aitotat wrote on 2022-04-09, 07:36:

Is it broken? It still says 0 out of 15 pre-orders made after I placed an order. Was my order lost?

Give him some time to update it - it's very probably not a commercial shop system 😉

Reply 2763 of 3172, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At 78€ for just PCB and Chip i`m out.

Last time i build the Whole Card for this.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 2764 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aitotat wrote on 2022-04-09, 07:36:

The counter will update (manually) after payments arrive 😀

matze79 wrote on 2022-04-09, 08:27:

After 6 months you can build your hearts content if/when shock__ eventually releases the project files to the public.
If you want to get one now then you will have to pay for shock__'s effort and time spent on this and on top of that for my time/effort.
This is not a sale targeted at donors of the project that helped fund the whole thing some years ago, these are sales for the general public.
And the 78eur price is the same as the US/CAN region one.
I hope this explains things better.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2765 of 3172, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is cheap compared to Orpheus. And a lot cheaper then a genuine Ultrasound.

Reply 2766 of 3172, by Stevogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-04-09, 12:19:

This is cheap compared to Orpheus. And a lot cheaper then a genuine Ultrasound.

Yeah definitely. Very appreciative that this opportunity is available for us to be able to experience the GUS. I don't mind having to assemble it myself at all if it means accessibility. But of course, self-assembly isn't always an option for everyone so totally understandable.

Although I'm honestly saving up for an Orpheus still. Quite pricy but I suppose it's worth it for an all-in-one card that is also assembled.

Kinda want to see how it would be like to have the Argus and the Orpheus in the same machine.

Reply 2767 of 3172, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And a lot cheaper then a genuine Ultrasound.

Once factoring in parts and assembly, it might end up being close to the current cost of a GUS PnP (per recent sale prices on Ebay).

The big thing that could swing the cost for people is assembly. If one already has the equipment and skillset to build it, not much investment is required. But if one needs to contract that out and/or invest in the necessary equipment to do it, that could add considerably to the cost.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2768 of 3172, by Stevogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-04-09, 14:58:

And a lot cheaper then a genuine Ultrasound.

Once factoring in parts and assembly, it might end up being close to the current cost of a GUS PnP (per recent sale prices on Ebay).

The big thing that could swing the cost for people is assembly. If one already has the equipment and skillset to build it, not much investment is required. But if one needs to contract that out and/or invest in the necessary equipment to do it, that could add considerably to the cost.

Yeah, that's very true, unfortunately.

I guess it comes down to paying now or paying later at this point since both have their high associated costs. 🙁

Reply 2769 of 3172, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stevogamer wrote on 2022-04-09, 15:15:

I guess it comes down to paying now or paying later at this point since both have their high associated costs. 🙁

This is also where one has to decide the relative value of the card to themselves.

I'd love a GUS with >1 MB of RAM specifically for tracker music. So it's either roll the dice and wait for another GUS PnP to show up on Ebay, or take advantage of this opportunity to get an ARGUS.

As you say, it's pay now or pay later.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 2771 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-04-09, 14:58:

The idea isn't that you'll end up with a card that is so much cheaper than the Gravis originals that are still available (with the exception of the truly ridiculous listings you tend to see). It won't end up being cheap, but should nonetheless be reasonable, given the time and effort that went into the project. Furthermore, with ARGUS, you are getting a card that was assembled (whether by your own hand or someone you pay to do it for you) recently, and, as long as you source your parts from reputable vendors, with fresh components (the InterWave and ROM excepted). There will be no need to hunt down stale capacitors or other parts once you have a working card, and the ARGUS design is more flexible. Even if it were exactly the same price as an eBay card, it is still worth considering ARGUS, because:

1. You reward community effort.
  2. It is a recent design intended to leverage the capabilities of the InterWave to a greater extent than the original cards.
  3. No stale components or worry about getting a card that is non-functional and/or damaged beyond repair.

If you consider ARGUS unreasonable, then you probably can't afford a GUS PnP either.

Reply 2772 of 3172, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stevogamer wrote on 2022-04-09, 14:47:

Although I'm honestly saving up for an Orpheus still. Quite pricy but I suppose it's worth it for an all-in-one card that is also assembled.

I have an Orpheus and it is a wonderful card. I would highly recommend buying one with a Dreamblaster X2GS, if you can manage.

The Gravis Ultrasound is a wonderful card, but as a secondary sound card. It's not useful on its own as a Sound Blaster replacement.

Reply 2773 of 3172, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
640K!enough wrote on 2022-04-10, 02:39:
[…]
Show full quote
  1. You reward community effort.
  2. It is a recent design intended to leverage the capabilities of the InterWave to a greater extent than the original cards.
  3. No stale components or worry about getting a card that is non-functional and/or damaged beyond repair.

All good points. Just the fact this card can be easily equipped with a full 16 MB of RAM is going to be worth it.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2022-04-10, 23:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 2774 of 3172, by terryfi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Let's put it this way. This is an expensive DIY barebone kit. The reason is lack of supply for Interwave chip; and guess why Interwave chips are short in supply? Because people are stacking them up in hoping to make tons of these cards and make profit.

Reply 2775 of 3172, by Stevogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-04-10, 05:55:
Stevogamer wrote on 2022-04-09, 14:47:

I have an Orpheus and it is a wonderful card. I would highly recommend buying one with a Dreamblaster X2GS, if you can manage.

The Gravis Ultrasound is a wonderful card, but as a secondary sound card. It's not useful on its own as a Sound Blaster replacement.

That's definitely my goal, to get an Orpheus with the X2GS.

Currently, I have an AWE64 Value as my only ISA sound card. The only other sound blaster compatible cards I have are PCI cards with SB-Link.
Hence, the Orpheus looking like an interesting option with it also having a PCMIDI Interface on-board.

Reply 2776 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
terryfi wrote on 2022-04-10, 22:15:

Let's put it this way. This is an expensive DIY barebone kit. The reason is lack of supply for Interwave chip; and guess why Interwave chips are short in supply? Because people are stacking them up in hoping to make tons of these cards and make profit.

As said in the comment section on LGR's video ... if anyone synthesizes a compatible FPGA, I'd be more than willing to adapt the current ARGUS design.
Otherwise at least the PCB production files are gonna go public in 6 months so some price can be shaven off there.

I'd welcome to cut price discussions short tho - capitalism sucks, we all know that.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 2777 of 3172, by terryfi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shock__ wrote on 2022-04-11, 14:00:

As said in the comment section on LGR's video ... if anyone synthesizes a compatible FPGA, I'd be more than willing to adapt the current ARGUS design.
Otherwise at least the PCB production files are gonna go public in 6 months so some price can be shaven off there.

I'd welcome to cut price discussions short tho - capitalism sucks, we all know that.

Has anyone checked out this professor's posting a thesis project proposal to implement GF1 on FGPA?

https://www.mit.bme.hu/eng/node/9797

Apparently this was back in 2015, and there is some discussion about it on MisterFPGA forum.

https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=2994

Reply 2778 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got the gerber files from Shock__. I am still waiting for the Interwave chips, but I will start the PCB production in the meantime to minimize waiting time.

Reply 2779 of 3172, by Stevogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Synoptic wrote on 2022-04-11, 19:51:

I just got the gerber files from Shock__. I am still waiting for the Interwave chips, but I will start the PCB production in the meantime to minimize waiting time.

That's great to hear.

Excited to put my order in when the next round is up. 😀