VOGONS

First post, by zajec5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to run a "Subiekt" which is a polish accountant DOS application. Untortunately "Subiekt" claims that can not open enought amount of files when I try to run it. It alerts that it's able to open only 117 files. In manual book there is advise to use
FILES=250
in config.sys.

How can you test it?
1) Download archive: http://files.myopera.com/Zajec/files/subiekt.tar.bz2
2) Unpack it
3) Run dosbox
4) mount c /home/user/subiekt/
5) c:
6) cd SUBIEKT5\SYSTEM
7) S5.BAT

First red alert (polish) informs that amount of files which can be opened is too low. Is asks if you want to abort. I may choose "Nie"="No" but after few seconds you will reveice information that Subiekt is not able to work because of these files.

Reply 1 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

from the first look it seems that the application tries to use share.exe extensions.

DOSBox provides 127 files by default. Providing 250 is only possible after recompilation.
The problem might be the share thing instead of the files thing, but it's a guess.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yes. quite a few dos versions work inside dosbox. I know for sure that msdos 5.0 works quite nicely

Reply 4 of 9, by zajec5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried FreeDOS inside of Qemu and VMware ─ it is not better. Subiekt claims that it can open only 17 files (I reported this as bug to FreeDOS team)

Qbix wrote:

DOSBox provides 127 files by default. Providing 250 is only possible after recompilation.
The problem might be the share thing instead of the files thing, but it's a guess.

OK, I'll try to compile dosbox myself and will give you info. Just a one question: where I can change this value?

Reply 5 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dos_inc.h, #define DOS_FILES 127

There should be some drdos/opendos/caldera dos available (whoever has
the rights currently), maybe try that one as well. It's quite advanced and
compatible to msdos.

Reply 6 of 9, by zajec5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

dos_inc.h, #define DOS_FILES 127

I changed this value to 250, compiled dosbox and it works FINE. What about changing this define in main tree? Just to prevent such a problems in future 😀

Btw. I can not run other DOS implementation inside of dosbox because I would have to use disk image. And this is not acceptable for me because other ppl have to have access to files Subiekt is modifing.

Reply 7 of 9, by zajec5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I did not say this precisely. There is still first alert about low value of "FILES" but when I click to ignore this, I can continue my work without problems. Before this recompiling Subiekt was just self-closing.

Reply 8 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Don't know what dos structures are affected, think the psp field might grow
thus it's better to leave it for games/apps that "don't expect this".
Anyways it's more bad programming of the app if they need that many
open files.

Reply 9 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I recall something that the most significant bit on in the psp (so the filenumber) was sometimes uses to detect network files. Something like that is the reason why we set it at 127 (that is the msb cleared)