VOGONS

First post, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've noticed that it seems most of the older ISA boards i've found typically have a couple of slots with unpopulated 16 bit isa slot extensions. My Peak D/M based board has a total of 8 slots but only 6 of them are fully 16 bit. Is this just a cost saving measure, or is there a more solid limitation (e.g. DMA/IRQ address limitations). I was planning on swapping one of the slots around ( the retail version of the board has the 8 bit slots at slot 1 and 7 instead of slot 1 and 2 like mine) but if I can just add the unpopulated slots safely and get a full 8 16 bit slots I will.

Reply 1 of 5, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are certainly resource limitations but normal motherboards offered both 8 and 16 but slots because some cards would only physically fit in an 8 bit slot

Also many cards remained 8 bit throughout the lifespan of the device (like modems and serial)

I have never seen a specific limit on how many slots are allowed but have found boards with 16 expansion slots, not sure if there is an electrical limit or not

https://globalamericaninc.com/product/hbp-12s … sive-backplane/

Reply 2 of 5, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

some very old 8-bit cards actually extended down below the edge connector behind the 8 bit slot, omitting the 16bit extension was a mechanical backwards compatibility measure

Reply 3 of 5, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-04-12, 15:14:

some very old 8-bit cards actually extended down below the edge connector behind the 8 bit slot, omitting the 16bit extension was a mechanical backwards compatibility measure

Yeah, I didn't think about that. I've seen a few cards like that, the original XT floppy controller for example.

Reply 5 of 5, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jackal1983 wrote on 2022-04-12, 15:19:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-04-12, 15:14:

Yeah, I didn't think about that. I've seen a few cards like that, the original XT floppy controller for example.

A lot of the original XT cards did it. The original CGA is another one. I was going to also mention the MDA, but I double-checked: The MDA doesn't extend down behind the ISA connector.