Common searches

HUGE collection for sale on eBay

Topic actions

First post, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ebay.com/itm/154903560165

This blows me away. Amazing that someone can collect so much. I bet someone could resell it individually and make some money.

I have one vintage computer, maybe 2 if you consider an Athlon X2 to be vintage. I could buy more but my better judgement overrides my urge. It's just cool to look at this listing.

Reply 1 of 35, by holdencars11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I fear that when I die, someone will be faced with a similar situation to this.. hahahha.. 🙁

Ryzen5 1600AF/ASRock B450Mac/16Gb/HD7750
i7 2600K/P67A-C43/16GB/GTX560
i7 960/MSI X58 Pro/8GB/8800GTS
Athlon II x4 620/GA-M56-S3/8GB/8800GTS
Duron 1300/A7S333/512MB/MX440
6x86MX PR200/PC Chips M571/64MB/ET6000
NEC PowerMate1 268 10MHz
And another 40 rigs.

Reply 2 of 35, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh that guy. I was wondering when I saw your post. He collected all that, all from the same place, because he thought it'd be cool, and now doesn't want it, and selling all of it at once for around $100 bucks on average for each item. I warned people the way things were being done that it was attracting people that didn't really know what to do with it, but were just taking whatever they could fit. At least the last bit of the stuff at the warehouse went to a real computer rehabilitator. Finally...

If you do put together a collection and decide to be rid of it because times change, I fear the situation will frequently be, "I just want it gone together", and that will frequently be a hard sell, because how many museums and recyclers, or other people that have any memory of some of this stuff are there going to be in a few years? Then whoever has to handle the estate has to dump it quickly and will not hold your viewpoint, leading to more rare things disappearing. At least consider the consequence of holding onto a large range of vintage PCs, and have a plan 😉

Reply 3 of 35, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the price is too high. I'm not saying that the same might be achieved selling one by one or in small batches, but for all at once untested etc it could just be mostly beyond rescue (beyond worthwhile rescue anyway) and is also likely too broad a collection to be of genuine lasting interest to any particular enthusiast

i'm guessing this the 'famous' computer reset stuff featured in lgr years ago?

Reply 4 of 35, by FioGermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, that is a little too much money IMO. Too much money to end up with a pallet of stuff that might die in transport or didn't even work to begin with. This is absolutely a wildcard purchase for rich collectors. I'd be more comfortable going through a collection this big and checking each computer over individually, selecting a few items and paying based off what was chosen. There is absolutely money here, just not necessarily that much for a pallet of unknowns. idk.

Hope it all finds a good home eventually though.

Reply 5 of 35, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
the3dfxdude wrote on 2022-04-19, 13:33:

Oh that guy. I was wondering when I saw your post. He collected all that, all from the same place, because he thought it'd be cool, and now doesn't want it, and selling all of it at once for around $100 bucks on average for each item. I warned people the way things were being done that it was attracting people that didn't really know what to do with it, but were just taking whatever they could fit. At least the last bit of the stuff at the warehouse went to a real computer rehabilitator. Finally...

If you do put together a collection and decide to be rid of it because times change, I fear the situation will frequently be, "I just want it gone together", and that will frequently be a hard sell, because how many museums and recyclers, or other people that have any memory of some of this stuff are there going to be in a few years? Then whoever has to handle the estate has to dump it quickly and will not hold your viewpoint, leading to more rare things disappearing. At least consider the consequence of holding onto a large range of vintage PCs, and have a plan 😉

Oh, so this is all from the same place! Computer Reset I assume. I hate to say it but that's a little OCD. I would have picked a few good items and been happy. This is just crazy. I see multiple copies of the same system, at least from the outward appearance.

Reply 6 of 35, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's not a collection.

THAT IS A HOARD!

Ten thousand is a bit more than nothing. Even with an optimistic estimate of content and condition, well... the average percent of it might be a good deal in the right hands, but that amound?

- you'd need some serious ride to transport it, dad's pickup won't quite do
- same for storage
- if you'd want to sell that in less than ten years, the financial authorities may want to have a word with you so you'd have to go pro and do all that by the book and over the books.

So, while you might be able to unload that with some effort for more money, I'm not sure that it would reflect a good hourly wage, to say the least.

I like jumpers.

Reply 8 of 35, by FioGermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since someone mentioned Computer Reset. So...did someone really just walk into CR one day and vacuum up the entirety of their inventory? Like, i get that there are collectors out there like LGR with shelves and bins full of stuff. But this many computers seems like too much for a single collector. This seems more like PC hoarding then collecting. If it where a variety of different types of computer (Amiga/Japanese stuff/whatever) and you where making a mini museum or something...i might understand.

Someone more into the collecting mindset then me. Fill my brain in!

Reply 9 of 35, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eesz34 wrote on 2022-04-19, 15:16:

Oh, so this is all from the same place! Computer Reset I assume. I hate to say it but that's a little OCD. I would have picked a few good items and been happy. This is just crazy. I see multiple copies of the same system, at least from the outward appearance.

It's mentioned in the listing. I was thinking initially your post was another horde, because they do come up from time to time. But of course, this one is a bit notable, because it really was one big impulse thing based on the opportunity, but now he's a bit stuck with all that, considering it's been up for weeks now.

FioGermi wrote:

Since someone mentioned Computer Reset. So...did someone really just walk into CR one day and vacuum up the entirety of their inventory? Like, i get that there are collectors out there like LGR with shelves and bins full of stuff. But this many computers seems like too much for a single collector. This seems more like PC hoarding then collecting.

There wasn't really much valuable things being offered up in the end, but ... thankfully the right people (a refurbishing business) showed up at the end and took the last of it.

Reply 10 of 35, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
holdencars11 wrote:

I fear that when I die, someone will be faced with a similar situation to this.. hahahha..

The correct way is to be buried under pyramid with all you hardware collection and games.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 35, by FioGermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-04-19, 17:55:
holdencars11 wrote:

I fear that when I die, someone will be faced with a similar situation to this.. hahahha..

The correct way is to be buried under pyramid with all you hardware collection and games.

Imagine being the last person alive on earth, digging up a place you were told hid supplies for the end times.

....and it turns out to be someone's pile of Ramgang Collector Series shareware games. Oh and a can of diet coke.

Reply 12 of 35, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FioGermi wrote on 2022-04-19, 16:15:

This seems more like PC hoarding then collecting.

That's exactly what it is.

It's one thing to collect hardware that one can use and enjoy (or refurbish and sell). It's a whole different thing to hoard a stack of a computers that can't even be used.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 13 of 35, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There seems to be some decent older IBM and Compaq machines there plus a boxed PPro.

Looks to me like he filled a spare bedroom up with gear that his GF/WIFE now wants gone. Who knows if he tried to sell it piece by piece and didn't have the time to get rid of it all.

I spent 20 years collecting my hoard and would probably need 20 years to sell it off piece by piece.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 14 of 35, by FioGermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could have been a binge buy. Saw a place filled with older computers cleaning out house and thought: "Hey, i wanna get into retro stuff! Let me dump a few paychecks into this entire lot and start my instant collection". Then realized it was way too much stuff and too much time needed to be spend on restoring things.

Not unheard of.

Reply 15 of 35, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote on 2022-04-19, 20:23:

There seems to be some decent older IBM and Compaq machines there plus a boxed PPro.

Looks to me like he filled a spare bedroom up with gear that his GF/WIFE now wants gone. Who knows if he tried to sell it piece by piece and didn't have the time to get rid of it all.

I spent 20 years collecting my hoard and would probably need 20 years to sell it off piece by piece.

Hmm, the room is still (close to) empty, a lot more machines would have space.

Reply 16 of 35, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd sell the most valuable stuff and put the rest for free pickup. I might do the same when my time comes as I don't see myself testing, selling, shipping several 100's of items...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 17 of 35, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
the3dfxdude wrote on 2022-04-19, 16:18:

There wasn't really much valuable things being offered up in the end, but ... thankfully the right people (a refurbishing business) showed up at the end and took the last of it.

Even in LGRs last video I saw piles of stuff I would have gladly taken if there was some way to get it from the other side of the world. IIRC I saw a boxed copy of Banyan VINES which would have been neat to explore.

Reply 18 of 35, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote on 2022-04-19, 20:45:

I'd sell the most valuable stuff and put the rest for free pickup. I might do the same when my time comes as I don't see myself testing, selling, shipping several 100's of items...

Yes, but assume you are going to sell in 10 to 20 years most items will be more valuable, and parted machines would be worth more than complete ones if the parts are tested.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 19 of 35, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
davidrg wrote on 2022-04-19, 21:56:
the3dfxdude wrote on 2022-04-19, 16:18:

Even in LGRs last video I saw piles of stuff I would have gladly taken if there was some way to get it from the other side of the world. IIRC I saw a boxed copy of Banyan VINES which would have been neat to explore.

Yes, and I would have glad to get mundane stuff too. But it's not worth any money to me and it wasn't worth traveling there. There are plenty of opportunities here that doesn't require traveling.