VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So got a call this week from my parents asking if I can watch their dog since it was stupid enough to mess with a much bigger dog and got all tore up.
Of course I said yes and decided I might get some Elden Ring time in while there.
Last time I brought my desktop but this time I decided to bring my laptop.
Did a quick test on it w/ GTX 1650 and the game runs well enough at 1080p (bleh) with full details.
Plugged in a XBOX One Controller from 2016 and tested and good to go.
I also grabbed the proprietary XBOX wireless dongle as well before I left.
So I spent 30m last night trying to get the controller to work wirelessy and finally figured out that it's for XBOX 360 and I never had one for this controller.
I never use wireless since I always game in front of my computer and this controller only does XBOX proprietary wireless.
Instead of dishing out money for the dongle (half the price of a new controller) for the 2016 controller then just dished out the $50 for the 2020 xbox wireless controller so that's coming Monday.
Sigh.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 18, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I fried an Athlon Thunderbird 1Ghz a few days ago. I don't think I checked the heatsink application close enough. It worked earlier in the week, but I swapped a lot of processors in between, and then tested the 1Ghz, again... dead.

Reply 3 of 18, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I likely fried an Athlon XP 2500+ after I forgot to reinstall the heatsink. Still have some more testing to on the CPU, but I suspect it's toast.

Also created a short when replacing some caps on an Audigy 2 ZS card. Easily rectified, but taught me to pay more attention to when desoldering / soldering components.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 18, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I destroyed a perfectly fine Radeon 9600XT by screwing on the heatsink too tight. Well, I have a new one that I handle with much more care now...

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 5 of 18, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I accidently stored a bare speaker (with unshielded magnet) right next to a box of floppies. It was in a box I forgot about. Just found out earlier this week when I checked what's in the box.

BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-23, 16:39:

I was learning in Duolingo, they had me to say a sentence and I was trying it with my mic connected but OFF.

Imho learning with Duolingo is already a mistake 😁

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 6 of 18, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I accidentally trashed a DFI LanParty motherboard while mounting a way too heavy aftermarket cooler on the chipset.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 18, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-04-23, 20:34:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-23, 16:39:

I was learning in Duolingo, they had me to say a sentence and I was trying it with my mic connected but OFF.

Not wrong either, it's just their so that I am in the groove and don't forget languages 😉

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 8 of 18, by FioGermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Putting a waterblock onto a rather expensive GPU. Realizing you don't have enough thermal pads and then loosing some of the important screws for the stock heatsink so your stuck with a PCB until pads arrive.

Yeahh....we don't talk about that. Well i mean, i do. Out of shame. Thankfully the card survived a night in a antistatic bag.

Reply 9 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 18, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few days ago I accidentally rolled my office chair over a Bonnie Tyler CD. Man, what a heartache.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 11 of 18, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently made the mistake of buying an Xbox 360 slim from a thrift store without testing it first, just assumed all would be well. Got it home and set up, beeps when the power button is pressed but won't turn on. Now I get to try to figure out what the issue is. Of course it's none of the easy possible solutions. A $50 gamble and I lost.

Reply 12 of 18, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2022-04-24, 03:25:

A few days ago I accidentally rolled my office chair over a Bonnie Tyler CD. Man, what a heartache.

*Ba Dum TISH*

Most recent mistake? I started a work from home job last week. and like a good computer user I built my own router and set it up to put the work machines on their own private network. Somehow this interfered with the corpo VPN and I had to play dumb about "connectivity issues" so they wouldn't think I was doing packet interception or something else nefarious. its a very large ISP, too. I don't know what to do with my 10Gb router now. 🙁

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 13 of 18, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-24, 02:22:

Why?

Because it's just a really bad tool for language learning. Maybe it's passable for the very basics, especially if the target language is closely related to your native or something you already has a competence in.

In language enthusiast circles it's a common opinion that Duolingo is bad even among language learning apps.

Reply 14 of 18, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-04-24, 07:07:

In language enthusiast circles it's a common opinion that Duolingo is bad even among language learning apps.

What's good? I briefly looked at Rosetta Stone years ago, and it seemed capable. Alas, I found that lack of real-world practice makes it really hard to make any meaningful progress.

Back on topic: a few months ago I disassembled one of those crappy "retro 8-bit consoles 500 games in 1 gameboy-lookalike chinese crappy devices" because my son wanted to know how it looks inside. Well, all went well, except during reassembly that flimsy switch that toggles power snapped in my fingers. So I had a perfectly working device, which is impossible to turn on. I felt quite bad for him (even though he ended up getting a better gadget), that I still remember it. 🙁

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 15 of 18, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2022-04-24, 07:13:

What's good? I briefly looked at Rosetta Stone years ago, and it seemed capable. Alas, I found that lack of real-world practice makes it really hard to make any meaningful progress.

For apps, I don't know. Whatever started out fine went to 'p2w' crap. Busuu was alrignt a copule of years ago, but recently I heard it also went down the wrong path.

I think the best is a real human. Maybe someone who wants to learn your language and you teach each other.
The second is a more passive comprehensive input method. Listening to language in context and trust your brain.
The third is plain exposure to the target language (e.g. consuming entertainment media in your target language w/o subs).

The thing is, the brain is a pattern recognition and code breaking machine, all it needs to learn is data and context. Duolingo and language learning apps in general present you a low amount of data out of context. If I'd want to make a case for language learning apps, then I think they are best if your target language is English. Problem is, these days English is either your native language or you learn everything apps can teach you in school.

Reply 16 of 18, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Trying to remove a difficult FX 5200 PCI heatsink one of the two plastic clips was harder and I'd have needed a plastic tool to push it instead of a metal one that I lost control of it pressing and ended on few close PCB gpu traces (not cutting them but risked cause the PCB layer got traced and I hate these errors). I already put the specific liquid on them to fix the protective layer but it's one of those error I wish I didn't change the thermal paste at first.

I really need some plastic specific tool to remove those plastic clips. Nowdays they arrived to understand that is better to use screwdriver to fix heatsinks but in those times I don't know how they designed these things.. heatsink plastic clips in the middle of SMD components, traces, whatever things.

Reply 18 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-04-24, 07:29:
For apps, I don't know. Whatever started out fine went to 'p2w' crap. Busuu was alrignt a copule of years ago, but recently I he […]
Show full quote
dr_st wrote on 2022-04-24, 07:13:

For apps, I don't know. Whatever started out fine went to 'p2w' crap. Busuu was alrignt a copule of years ago, but recently I heard it also went down the wrong path.

I think the best is a real human. Maybe someone who wants to learn your language and you teach each other.
The second is a more passive comprehensive input method. Listening to language in context and trust your brain.
The third is plain exposure to the target language (e.g. consuming entertainment media in your target language w/o subs).

The thing is, the brain is a pattern recognition and code breaking machine, all it needs to learn is data and context. Duolingo and language learning apps in general present you a low amount of data out of context. If I'd want to make a case for language learning apps, then I think they are best if your target language is English. Problem is, these days English is either your native language or you learn everything apps can teach you in school.

That makes sense. Thanks for explaining 😀

Well, not really much of a mistake but I have been spending the last couple days making backups from an 'old' harddrive and only after I had nearly completed all of the copying, I noticed that all of the directories lost their original timestamp -_-
And I really want the original timestamps.
So I had to redo everything using robocopy -_- but at least I got to do some messing about with batch files again, which was kinda fun I guess.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!