VOGONS

Socket 478 cooler recommendations

Topic actions

First post, by NatoPotato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there friends!

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on an aftermarket cooler to suit a socket 478. The motherboard is an Asus p4p800 and the CPU is a prescHOTT Pentium 4 3.4ghz.

Unfortunately I'm unable to really find anything so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or if any newer coolers could work.

I know the Noctua nh-u12 used to support it but the later models don't seem to. From what I've gathered as far as they go is 775.

Any help would be more than appreciated.
Thank you 😀

Reply 1 of 23, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thermaltake Big Typhoon.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or if any newer coolers could work.

Asrock had some late Socket 754 boards with special mounting, compatible with stock Socket 478 and 754/939 coolers (or literally any AM2/AM3+ cooler with standard mounting mechanism) that could be transplanted to Socket 478.

Like this one - https://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/K8NF3-VSTA

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2022-04-30, 13:10. Edited 4 times in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 23, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Zalman CNPS7000 and CNPS7700 is generally not too hard to find and has enough cooling performance to keep a Prescott at reasonable temperatures without getting loud.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 23, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NatoPotato wrote on 2022-04-30, 12:25:
Hi there friends! […]
Show full quote

Hi there friends!

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on an aftermarket cooler to suit a socket 478. The motherboard is an Asus p4p800 and the CPU is a prescHOTT Pentium 4 3.4ghz.

Unfortunately I'm unable to really find anything so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or if any newer coolers could work.

I know the Noctua nh-u12 used to support it but the later models don't seem to. From what I've gathered as far as they go is 775.

Any help would be more than appreciated.
Thank you 😀

There's a simple mod you can do on "Be Quiet! Pure rock" (and maby more of the Be Quiet! coolers with the same mountingsystem) so it fits S478 motherboards:
Basically you have to drill one hole and provide a suitable bolt to tighten it down:
https://www.sweclockers.com/forum/trad/151719 … assa-socket-478

Cooling is VASTLY improved over whatever you could find when the platform was relevant =)

Reply 4 of 23, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The last of the stock P4 coolers were quite a bit better than the earlier ones. Though it still uses the annoying retention system as all of the others, with the copper core and thin fin design, they offer pretty good cooling and they have the advantage of a reasonable price and are readily available. https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Copper-Core-Sock … customerReviews

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 6 of 23, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I bought a few new Intel D34080-001 which are same as C91249-001 copper cored recently. They work well and are fairly quiet.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 23, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
frankmonk wrote on 2022-04-30, 17:42:

I would recommend the Thermaltake xp-120

That cooler is literally why I had to do the Be Quiet mod above =)
For some reason the heat-pipes in my XP-120 does not work, making the cooler at best a shiny paperweight.

Reply 8 of 23, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Scythe had a bunch of monster coolers which had Socket 478 support. Like Andy Samurai Master. Keep in mind, that it's not advisable to use those without backplate, fortunately ASUS had it.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 10 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-04-30, 18:55:

Scythe had a bunch of monster coolers which had Socket 478 support. Like Andy Samurai Master. Keep in mind, that it's not advisable to use those without backplate, fortunately ASUS had it.

Reading this made me check the packaging of my Scythe Mugen 2 rev B and it also is compatible with s478!
I'm assuming the backplate of the Mugen 2 rev B is also compatible with s478. Apparently I either misplaced the manual (more likely), or my package didn't come with a manual (not very likely).
You'd need just the adapter (which is basically 2 metal strip-shaped thingies) and the backplate.

I installed this HSF on my Phenom II like 12 or 13 years ago 🤣.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 23, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SETBLASTER wrote on 2022-04-30, 20:25:

Be Quiet! Pure rock is something from 2014,not available anymore as now there is a Be Quiet! Pure rock 2, but i don't know if you can do the mod on that one.

Mounting hardware looks almost identical.
Tho there may be some small changes.
We need a volunteer =)

Reply 13 of 23, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was buying new Tuniq Tower 120 coolers up until 2020, specifically for fast skt 478 builds, but I can't find them for sale anymore.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/2152/3

Still have one new in box somewhere.

Reply 14 of 23, by NatoPotato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Socket3 wrote on 2022-05-01, 23:33:

I was buying new Tuniq Tower 120 coolers up until 2020, specifically for fast skt 478 builds, but I can't find them for sale anymore.

I just had a look into these, did you need to do anything specific to make them fit? From I see it is for a socket 775.

I'm not sure if you would be interested in selling but I would be extremely keen to work something out 😀

Seems impossible to actually find anything that is going to sufficiently cool this Prescott 3.4ghz

Reply 15 of 23, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NatoPotato wrote on 2022-05-02, 14:33:
I just had a look into these, did you need to do anything specific to make them fit? From I see it is for a socket 775. […]
Show full quote

I just had a look into these, did you need to do anything specific to make them fit? From I see it is for a socket 775.

I'm not sure if you would be interested in selling but I would be extremely keen to work something out 😀

Seems impossible to actually find anything that is going to sufficiently cool this Prescott 3.4ghz

It fits socket 478 right out of the box. You remove the plastic should from your skt 478 board and use the tuniq's backplate and screws to attach the cooler.

Unfortunately I'm not really willing to part with mine just yet. I have a total of 3, one is used on an abit IC7 + p4 mobile 552 (3467 MHz) build , the other is on a LGA775 p4 660, and the third is... someware. Probably in a parts pile or box.

You might be able to find one on aliexpress or alibaba if you're really interested in getting one. Maybe even ebay. They were quite popular for lga 775 back in the day.

Reply 16 of 23, by NatoPotato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Socket3 wrote on 2022-05-03, 11:42:
It fits socket 478 right out of the box. You remove the plastic should from your skt 478 board and use the tuniq's backplate and […]
Show full quote
NatoPotato wrote on 2022-05-02, 14:33:
I just had a look into these, did you need to do anything specific to make them fit? From I see it is for a socket 775. […]
Show full quote

It fits socket 478 right out of the box. You remove the plastic should from your skt 478 board and use the tuniq's backplate and screws to attach the cooler.

Unfortunately I'm not really willing to part with mine just yet. I have a total of 3, one is used on an abit IC7 + p4 mobile 552 (3467 MHz) build , the other is on a LGA775 p4 660, and the third is... someware. Probably in a parts pile or box.

You might be able to find one on aliexpress or alibaba if you're really interested in getting one. Maybe even ebay. They were quite popular for lga 775 back in the day.

Totally understandable and I don't blame you! I am at a loss as to where I can get any coolers from as I am having no luck on eBay or my local market (Australia).

They just don't seem to exist haha!

Reply 17 of 23, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I was researching this about 10 years ago the Mugen 2 had the best performance out of coolers that supported S478 out of the box so thats what I went with as well

Reply 19 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SETBLASTER wrote on 2022-05-08, 04:11:

anyone with a lot of money want to buy and try
if the mod can be done to the Be Quiet! Pure rock 2 ?

The Mugen 2 has some adapter parts which are I think needed to make it work on s478.

By sheer chance I do have a Pure Rock 2 but it's slated to be mounted onto one of my more modern rigs within a couple days at the most and besides I don't even have the tools needed to make such an adapter anyway.
Still would be interesting to learn of the possibility to create such adapters and not for s478 but more for s423 and s8 for instance.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!