VOGONS

First post, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently I dug up my old Sapphire Radeon X1950Pro AGP8X 512MB graphics card.
I have put it in my AMD XP2400+ system, just because I can.
It has been running pretty well, with no performance loss on whatever resolution I use (up to 1600x1200 which is my screen's max).
The first time I ran into a BSOD is when I tested on 3DM01 at 1600x1200 max settings and with AA set to 6X and Aniso to 16X forced by the driver when running Nature.
I didn't think much of it and avoided using these settings

I have been playing Far Cry on 1600x1200 4X AA and 8x Ani with no issues 6X AA results In a BSOD.

Today I have installed F.E.A.R. when the crashes become more frequent.
When the graphics settings get set to max, the test run wil crash within 10 sec.
When the graphics settings are set to medium, there is no issue at all.
I have been playing around with the settings and it is very time consuming giving the system a full reboot with every BSOD.

The question is, where is this problem coming from?
I use the ATI driver version 10.2 on WinXP 32bit SP3. As far as software concerned.
I have 2x 512MB ddr 400mhz installed on CL2 running at 333mhz.
I have to molex power connectors connected to the Graphics card from two different cables.
No OC anywhere on the system.
There are no artifact or glitches to be found visually during gameplay before the BSOD.

Is it a power related issue? Memory? Driver? Any other possibilities?

Attachments

• 20220503_095205.jpg
    Filename
    20220503_095205.jpg
    File size
    1.12 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    BSOD
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 1 of 9, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can probably at least rule out memory problems by running MemTest86 for a few passes. I guess power issues could cause it too - probably the CD that came with your motherboard will have a utility for monitoring the voltage of the various power rails. If both of those are fine then I'd tend to suspect a buggy driver though other faulty hardware could certainly cause a BSOD too.

Reply 2 of 9, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is memtest 86 also able to test video memory?
Before using the 2x 512mb ddr400 memory, I used a single 512mb ddr333 stick, giving the same 3dm01 crash.

Builds:

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 3 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might be related to the PCIe bridge chip on the card. The GPU is actually natively PCIe so they use a chip called Rialto that converts AGP to PCIe. Try some older drivers. Especially any that mention AGP / PCIe bridge chips. Search the forum too because these bridge cards have been thoroughly discussed over the years.

Reply 4 of 9, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How are your gpu temps? I don't think overheating will cause a Bsod but it definitely won't help you on that front either. Bridge chip cards were kinda problematic I know that ATI had issues with their bridged cards where the bridge chip was overheating. Alot of times putting a small heatsink on the chip solved alot of issues.

Reply 5 of 9, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote on 2022-05-03, 19:27:

Might be related to the PCIe bridge chip on the card. The GPU is actually natively PCIe so they use a chip called Rialto that converts AGP to PCIe. Try some older drivers. Especially any that mention AGP / PCIe bridge chips. Search the forum too because these bridge cards have been thoroughly discussed over the years.

Thank you, I will have another look on the forum soon.
I ran Crysis, and with this game there is no crashing. It's kind of a hit and miss. F.E.A.R. is running fine at 800x600 any res above that it crashes.

Builds:

Reply 6 of 9, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-05-03, 22:26:

How are your gpu temps? I don't think overheating will cause a Bsod but it definitely won't help you on that front either. Bridge chip cards were kinda problematic I know that ATI had issues with their bridged cards where the bridge chip was overheating. Alot of times putting a small heatsink on the chip solved alot of issues.

Gpu temps are fine to say the least, 51C under load is very respectable, but on the other side. It is bottlenecked heavily by the CPU performance and the complete lack of it.
I will have a closer look at the bridge chip temps soon.

Builds:

Reply 7 of 9, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does Windows need a reason to bluescreen?

Did you selectively change out every single component to compare the results? RAM, VGA, CPU, without anything else installed like sound, NIC, coffee machine?

Else, I could get some tea leaves 😉

I like jumpers.

Reply 8 of 9, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ram, Yes
VGA, no I don't have a second X1950PRO AGP. No issues with my GF3 TI200 or GF4 4200 AGP8x 128MB.
CPU, Yes
NIC turned off (on board)
Sound turned off (on board)

But yeah it ofc could be the PCI-E to AGP speed loss running in an AGP 4x slot 😁
Or something as simple as drivers, since it is an ATI after all.

Builds:

Reply 9 of 9, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How strong is your power supply? You've a power hungry system there, and the other AGP cards you have draw substantially less power than the X1950.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey