VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok this is tongue in cheek stuff here. What scary games and what choice of "refreshment" to calm the nerves?

AVP 2010 - Fosters Lager (that's right! the oil can beer)

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 2 of 24, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Horror games in VR are the scariest gaming experiences I've had.

I'd need something stronger than alcohol to take the edge off.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 3 of 24, by chiveicrook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not a whole game but "Robbing the Cradle" mission in Thief: Deadly Shadows is awesome, it even has its own wiki article 😀
Decent bourbon to calm the nerves after the mission is recommended 😀

Reply 4 of 24, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The game doesn't even have to be scary - Try making a series of jumps in the original Super Mario Bros. in World 8 without falling into a pit or hitting the swinging fireballs with your last guy close to beating the highest score you ever had and the timer countdown ticking away toward impending doom. The end result is either breaking your controller (usually) or a sigh of relief, which has to be experienced to believed. You know, you put down the controller, get up, slowly walk away and pace back and forth for the next few minutes muttering under your breath... "Man... whew... finally... I can't believe it... oh, man..." and so on...

Reply 5 of 24, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chiveicrook wrote on 2022-05-04, 16:39:

Not a whole game but "Robbing the Cradle" mission in Thief: Deadly Shadows is awesome, it even has its own wiki article 😀

Yup, that level is pure nightmare fuel.

For maximum effect, play it in a dark room, using headphones, with an EAX4 capable sound card and CMSS-3D turned on.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 24, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll have to look into that one, never played any of the series.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 8 of 24, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-05-05, 14:08:

Most of these games are quite a decade old. Is there any new game which can provide the similar level of nightmares?

If you really want to scared by a video game, VR is where it's at. Even normal games can become terrifying when bad guys are life-sized and physically invading your space.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 9 of 24, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-05-05, 14:19:

Most of these games are quite a decade old. Is there any new game which can provide the similar level of nightmares?

If you really want to scared by a video game, VR is where it's at. Even normal games can become terrifying when bad guys are life-sized and physically invading your space.

I have never had a VR experience. Gotta get used to it before I smash things at home xD

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 10 of 24, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good point. Alien Isolation is 3-4 years old but haven't played it yet. Maybe some of the newer Resident Evil games?

Reply 11 of 24, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
buckeye wrote on 2022-05-06, 12:54:

Good point. Alien Isolation is 3-4 years old but haven't played it yet. Maybe some of the newer Resident Evil games?

They said Resident Evil 8 is good, but I am not quite sure if that supports the "ultimate nightmare VR" experience.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 12 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I was a kid, Clocktower was scary..only played it once.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 24, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-05-06, 16:44:

When I was a kid, Clocktower was scary..only played it once.

Yeah, that was a terrifying game. I also only played Clocktower once. I should probably revisit it.

Reply 14 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VR horror is indeed the next level.

But I do enjoy my TV horror gaming as well and there is a lot of stuff. If you want to be frightened some suggestions are any Amnesia, any Outlast, Soma, Visage, and RE7. Alien Isolation is good if you like the Alien franchise (nightmare mode is an...interesting experience). RE8 was fun but kinda meh IMO from a horror standpoint. Phasmophobia is pretty good multiplayer horror.

Reply 15 of 24, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The first that came to my mind is the first "Thief The Dark Project" PC game. Still a great game nowdays and only nowdays I finished both the first and second game of the serie.

While the second game still was a very good game lost a bit some of that scary feeling but they both are good in their own ways.
Instead the third game mentioned above, I still have to find the patience to play with it cause impressively not-well optimized. I find that the game engine changing lost much of the old ones improving the graphic of course but loosing a lot in other things that even results imho more realistic in the old engines. Not to mention the clearly game console oriented logics that would need the modern tweak to make it more similar to the old ones (but risking in stability and many test to make it good enough to compare, even depending on the config and video card).

Reply 16 of 24, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Life?

I wasn't that accomplished a drunk when I discovered DOOM but boy, I had to start off in ultra violence, I did not save the game unless I needed to shut it down and some of if really made me break into cold sweat.
It's often being said that ID software games were mostly tech showcases to sell the engine, but the original DOOM build up quite the atmosphere.

Also, the cryssalid or tentaculate attacks in UFO or TFTD. Their mere movement sounds off frame. Later in the game once you had trained up good soldiers, renamed them and grown fond of the buggers...

I like jumpers.

Reply 18 of 24, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FEAR gave me some good jumps the first time I played through it. I remember one part when you climb down a ladder then turn around once you're on it and you see the legs and feet of the ghost following you. Scared the crap out of me.

Reply 19 of 24, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
buckeye wrote on 2022-05-05, 13:20:

I'll have to look into that one, never played any of the series.

The Thief games are:

1. Thief The Dark Project
2. Thief 2: The Metal Age.
3. Thief 3: Deadly Shadows
4. Thief (or Thief 4, or Thief 2014).

The first two games are absolute classics (Thief 2 is my favourite of the 4 games). Thief 3 is really good, too, though some hardcore Thief fans tend to think it's significantly inferior to the first two. Thief 4 was a real dissapointment all round. Hardcore Thief fans often hate it, for many good reasons, such as you can't ghost the game ('ghosting' the game is where you complete the game without the enemies even knowing that you were there, only really skilled players can, or even attempt to, do this), the writing, dialogue, and world lore are far inferior to the earlier games, it feels un-Thief-ish at times, such as when running without regard to who you might alert, etc. I think it's an OK game, but a terrible Thief sequel, and it's reception was so bad that it killed off any chance of a Thief 5.

And yes, the Shalebridge Cradle is amazing, one of the most unnerving things in any game, and it doesn't involve jump scares or anything.it just builds up this amazing atmosphere of dread, malice, and an unearthly presence, even when there are no enemies (that you know of) in the area. Unsurprisingly, the similar (-ish!) level in Thief 4 isn't even worth mentioning in the same breath as the Thief 3 version.

Last edited by Kerr Avon on 2022-05-18, 13:24. Edited 1 time in total.