Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 44460 of 52699, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2022-05-07, 02:51:

why so many people talking down other's purchases lately? you don't need to have "the best" stuff to have fun with retro hardware, this hobby is for enjoyment, and I'm always happy to see what other people got, may it be that ultra rare unicorn or just a cheap thing they found and wanna have fun with, this isn't supposed to be a contest :p

I have to agree especially that I own socket 470 SiS chipset mobo's people hate - GPU's with slower VRAM than the system DDR is the reason they think their mobo's suck.
Actual fact i've seen recommendations of gpu's that the target system's ram is too fast for. Set your system.ini for your memory size on win 98se and your agp arpeture behaves better but your still running on a handbrake if your system ram is faster than your GPU no matter what system.
The true gamer tunes whilst the noob crashes 🤣

Reply 44461 of 52699, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't forget that both a Creative and an Aureal card can be issued at the same time. I happen to have a machine with an Audigy 2 ZS for EAX, Aureal Vortex 2 for A3D, Yamaha DB50XG wavetable for General MIDI, and a Sound Blaster 16 for genuine Yamaha OPL3.

Reply 44462 of 52699, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-05-06, 23:45:
Yeah, well, there are somewhat silly old brands like "ELSA" (granny baked me a VGA card!) but "Xilence" just screams "marketing […]
Show full quote
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-05-06, 22:21:

Besides, a funny brand name does not necessarily mean bad quality, there's stuff like "Sparkle" (decent) or "Zippy" (very good) where dubious naming has no relation to build quality.

Yeah, well, there are somewhat silly old brands like "ELSA" (granny baked me a VGA card!) but "Xilence" just screams "marketing BS".
Took me a moment to appreciate that "Zippy" is a very serious brand, as it is the same (merged with?) as Emacs and I do own this freakish behemoth:
download/file.php?id=133615&mode=view
Now, that's a solid PSU! 😁

There's Ultra PSUs as well. Not absolutely the brightest but I remember some of them were highly regarded as good.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 44463 of 52699, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ultra was TigerDirect's house brand and a lot of their electronics products were of good quality. I'm sure that a lot of it was just white label products, but they spent the time and money to make sure they what they sold was competitive.

Reply 44466 of 52699, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder if it's 100% compatible?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 44467 of 52699, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PcBytes wrote on 2022-05-07, 05:39:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-05-06, 23:45:
Yeah, well, there are somewhat silly old brands like "ELSA" (granny baked me a VGA card!) but "Xilence" just screams "marketing […]
Show full quote
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-05-06, 22:21:

Besides, a funny brand name does not necessarily mean bad quality, there's stuff like "Sparkle" (decent) or "Zippy" (very good) where dubious naming has no relation to build quality.

Yeah, well, there are somewhat silly old brands like "ELSA" (granny baked me a VGA card!) but "Xilence" just screams "marketing BS".
Took me a moment to appreciate that "Zippy" is a very serious brand, as it is the same (merged with?) as Emacs and I do own this freakish behemoth:
download/file.php?id=133615&mode=view
Now, that's a solid PSU! 😁

There's Ultra PSUs as well. Not absolutely the brightest but I remember some of them were highly regarded as good.

I've owned an Ultra X-Connect 500 watt PSU since they were released and that thing has yet to let me down. I use it in my son's socket A system along with a Ultra heatsink for the CPU. Their products were good quality and relatively affordable I was sad when the brand got shuttered.

Reply 44468 of 52699, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

why so many people talking down other's purchases lately? you don't need to have "the best" stuff to have fun with retro hardware, this hobby is for enjoyment, and I'm always happy to see what other people got, may it be that ultra rare unicorn or just a cheap thing they found and wanna have fun with, this isn't supposed to be a contest :p

I totally and 100% agree with this! 🙂
I wanted to add more to this but tbh but I can't think of anything to add, the essence sais it all 😋

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 44469 of 52699, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I put some of it down to this forum being very international (which I love) and some people's English might come across as if they're having a moan at what you bought when they just mean "oh yeah I used to have one of those - was a bit disappointing compared to other things on the market - but still it's fun to play with it"

Also, sometimes there's a slight back story to things - I bought a crap AST desktop a while back and a couple really rubbish other things over the years just because they meant something to me - the AST was my first PC I used in a work situation where I got paid for example.

I love seeing what people pick up. Some of it I just don't get why they'd do it, but deep down I'm a retro hoarder so I know I'd probably have done the same if it was in front of me 😁

One man's rubbish is another man's treasure 😀

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 44470 of 52699, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-05-06, 10:00:
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-05-06, 09:49:
psychofox wrote on 2022-05-06, 05:57:
Bought this nice little Voodoo Banshee. Since it has been sold as an unknown graphics card unknown condition, got it cheap. Luck […]
Show full quote

Bought this nice little Voodoo Banshee. Since it has been sold as an unknown graphics card unknown condition, got it cheap. Luckily works like charm, nice sharp picture these cards have ! Anyone knows the manufacturer of this card?
Untitled-1.jpg

Plus deck 2c. Strange device for converting audio casettes to mp3. I actually have not very much audio cassettes left, but since it is so cool looking device, i had to buy it 😀 Hope it has drivers for W9x.

Untitled-2.jpg

It literally have Super sticker on it.. Is some cheap crap brand i saw them making ISA audio cards and other S3 cards and stuff.. Dont know what exactly you like in this card aside from the chipset of 3Dfx the PCB and everything scream CHEAP... Prefer Gigabyte Blue PCB Banshee or Creative 3D Blaster Banshee ot ELSA some quality brand not cheap crap.

What exactly do you reckon is bad about this card that makes it inferior to others?
The sticker on the EEPROM?

How about everything aside from the 3Dfx chip itself ? I have the same card and believe me it is just cheap crap... Sure the card is small, but i prefer bigger cards they just look better over the small ones. Also i think most collectos have enough parts to know, what quality means. For example most S3 Virge/ Trio cards are from cheap brands like this Super they feel like crap too. BUT does Diamond, Number 9, Hercules branded S3 feel like crap, well NO cuz even the PCB and the parts on the card look better. How about different colors there is Blue and black PCB Banshee and they look ALOT better then this i hate that color. And the super "brand" is cheap every single card i saw from that "brand" is just cheap and feel bad.

But dont tell me that you think Diamond Banshee will feel just as cheap as this super, as there is clear that Diamon makes one of the highest quality cards. For example do you think (lets say slot 1 boards or socket 7) PC chips, Elite Group, Shuttle are the same quality like ASUS, Gigabyte or AOpen ?!?!?
Parts like this Super feel even in my hand cheap.... Tell me do you see these 2 cards to look even as cheap as this Super ? First sign of cheap is when the manufacturer cuts the PCB by alot, means he did use even bigger garbage caps, but sadly the rest of the parts as well like mosfets, the heatsink and fan on this card is just a joke i bet it will not even cool properly..

3Dfx Voodoo Banshee Black front.jpg
Filename
File size
639.12 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
3Dfx Voodoo Banshee front.jpg
Filename
File size
601.62 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20200512_174249.jpg
Filename
20200512_174249.jpg
File size
545.51 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20200512_174223.jpg
Filename
20200512_174223.jpg
File size
636.52 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
psychofox wrote on 2022-05-06, 10:57:

It literally have Super sticker on it.. Is some cheap crap brand i saw them making ISA audio cards and other S3 cards and stuff.. Dont know what exactly you like in this card aside from the chipset of 3Dfx the PCB and everything scream CHEAP... Prefer Gigabyte Blue PCB Banshee or Creative 3D Blaster Banshee ot ELSA some quality brand not cheap crap.

Hey, the price i paid was cheap, the card works, picture is crisp, cooler is silent. And most importantly for me, it is Voodoo. What else you want from graphics card? I am building an Pentium II period PC right now, it fits there like a glove 😁

I just sell mine is nothing special, and i dont like the card. Prefer to have instead blue PCB Voodoo, Black, Diamond, Creative. IF this card was PCI YES i was going to say it have some value, but it is AGP so fk it..
Sell the card and buy a Diamond one they are way better.

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 44471 of 52699, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote on 2022-05-07, 08:50:

I wonder if it's 100% compatible?

nope... I had one at some point and it failed in some games (WC comes to mind)
still it is better than no "intelligent" mpu since many many other games will work just fine 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 44472 of 52699, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SteveC wrote on 2022-05-07, 10:03:
I put some of it down to this forum being very international (which I love) and some people's English might come across as if th […]
Show full quote

I put some of it down to this forum being very international (which I love) and some people's English might come across as if they're having a moan at what you bought when they just mean "oh yeah I used to have one of those - was a bit disappointing compared to other things on the market - but still it's fun to play with it"

Also, sometimes there's a slight back story to things - I bought a crap AST desktop a while back and a couple really rubbish other things over the years just because they meant something to me - the AST was my first PC I used in a work situation where I got paid for example.

I love seeing what people pick up. Some of it I just don't get why they'd do it, but deep down I'm a retro hoarder so I know I'd probably have done the same if it was in front of me 😁

"One man's rubbish is another man's treasure 😀"
Very well said m8, many say these old PC parts are just garbage, meanwhile me and all other HW collectors think specific parts are gold (not like these nasty scrappers) and are worthy of being saved from the garbage or someone that is whatever to him if he will destroy them. Well guess everyone is a hoarder after all, as we use to fill the whole house, wardrobes, under the bed, in the basement whatever you can think of we store parts (ofc valuable ones like exotics and high end motherboards and CPUs, not working scrap) with the time going on, the space is smaller and smaller... I dont have space for CRTs sadly... ANd i wish to have big house and 2 fuc***g rooms to take out all my computers and set them up with proper monitors for their era and be happy... Still at least i am doing God`s work (the HW god ofc) by saving the good stuff from morons that think they are garbage.. How TF can an AWE64 Gold, Voodoo card, IBM Model M or socket 8 PC be garbage ?!?!?

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 44473 of 52699, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-05-07, 10:30:
I put some of it down to this forum being very international (which I love) and some people's English might come across as if th […]
Show full quote

Very well said m8, many say these old PC parts are just garbage, meanwhile me and all other HW collectors think specific parts are gold (not like these nasty scrappers) and are worthy of being saved from the garbage or someone that is whatever to him if he will destroy them. Well guess everyone is a hoarder after all, as we use to fill the whole house, wardrobes, under the bed, in the basement whatever you can think of we store parts (ofc valuable ones like exotics and high end motherboards and CPUs, not working scrap) with the time going on, the space is smaller and smaller... I dont have space for CRTs sadly... ANd i wish to have big house and 2 fuc***g rooms to take out all my computers and set them up with proper monitors for their era and be happy... Still at least i am doing God`s work (the HW god ofc) by saving the good stuff from morons that think they are garbage.. How TF can an AWE64 Gold, Voodoo card, IBM Model M or socket 8 PC be garbage ?!?!?

Not working scrap?! Erm... 😁

Reply 44474 of 52699, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-05-07, 10:18:

What exactly do you reckon is bad about this card that makes it inferior to others?

How about everything aside from the 3Dfx chip itself ? I have the same card and believe me it is just cheap crap...

Funny how you first say that everything aside from the 3Dfx chip is basically pure crap and then sum up things like you personally just hating that PCB color and how you just like bigger cards and that this card just feels bad or something, things that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual quality of the part 🤣.

Sure the card is small, but i prefer bigger cards they just look better over the small ones. Also i think most collectos have en […]
Show full quote

Sure the card is small, but i prefer bigger cards they just look better over the small ones. Also i think most collectos have enough parts to know, what quality means. For example most S3 Virge/ Trio cards are from cheap brands like this Super they feel like crap too. BUT does Diamond, Number 9, Hercules branded S3 feel like crap, well NO cuz even the PCB and the parts on the card look better. How about different colors there is Blue and black PCB Banshee and they look ALOT better then this i hate that color. And the super "brand" is cheap every single card i saw from that "brand" is just cheap and feel bad.

But dont tell me that you think Diamond Banshee will feel just as cheap as this super, as there is clear that Diamon makes one of the highest quality cards. For example do you think (lets say slot 1 boards or socket 7) PC chips, Elite Group, Shuttle are the same quality like ASUS, Gigabyte or AOpen ?!?!?
Parts like this Super feel even in my hand cheap.... Tell me do you see these 2 cards to look even as cheap as this Super ? First sign of cheap is when the manufacturer cuts the PCB by alot, means he did use even bigger garbage caps, but sadly the rest of the parts as well like mosfets, the heatsink and fan on this card is just a joke i bet it will not even cool properly..

20200512_174249.jpg
20200512_174223.jpg

^explanation of why this card is objectively trash or something^

Hey, the price i paid was cheap, the card works, picture is crisp, cooler is silent. And most importantly for me, it is Voodoo. What else you want from graphics card? I am building an Pentium II period PC right now, it fits there like a glove 😁

I just sell mine is nothing special, and i dont like the card. Prefer to have instead blue PCB Voodoo, Black, Diamond, Creative. IF this card was PCI YES i was going to say it have some value, but it is AGP so fk it..

And this is just full elitist bs right there.
Wouldn't it be great if you could just accept when someone else is happy about something that just doesn't fit into your own street just because you don't like the size and PCB color of that (in your personal and totally subjective opinion) dick..err I mean graphics card?

Report spammers here!

Reply 44475 of 52699, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SteveC wrote on 2022-05-07, 10:45:
Show full quote

Well i call working scrap stuff like most ASSrock boards, ECS boards, PChips, Super part, all 478 board aside from the exotic ones (sush as MSI Platinum, ABIT ect), low parts Celerons, Sempron, cards like TNT 2 M64 (jesus i hate this card) GEforce II MX200/400, GEforce 4 MX, GEforce FX5200, Radeon 9200, about most ATi Rage cards and others. These are part that are working but they are just scrap to me, die to them being just low end, not high end or something special. Ofc i dont trow working parts to scrappers, i just sell them to ppl that are not like me collection only the best, and with to money buy cool stuff.

BTW to be PC HW hoarder is hard for most men, die to them having a wife or gf, many did divorse, as they cant collect parts die to their wifes trowing stuff on the garbage, and not accepting the hobby of the men. Got cool parts from ppl that did have no choice but to trow the parts on the garbage or sell them, die to their wifes being females, they will never understand us..

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 44476 of 52699, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-05-07, 10:55:

Well i call working scrap stuff like most ASSrock boards, ECS boards, PChips, Super part, all 478 board aside from the exotic ones (sush as MSI Platinum, ABIT ect), low parts Celerons, Sempron, cards like TNT 2 M64 (jesus i hate this card) GEforce II MX200/400, GEforce 4 MX, GEforce FX5200, Radeon 9200, about most ATi Rage cards and others. These are part that are working but they are just scrap to me, die to them being just low end, not high end or something special. Ofc i dont trow working parts to scrappers, i just sell them to ppl that are not like me collection only the best, and with to money buy cool stuff.

BTW to be PC HW hoarder is hard for most men, die to them having a wife or gf, many did divorse, as they cant collect parts die to their wifes trowing stuff on the garbage, and not accepting the hobby of the men. Got cool parts from ppl that did have no choice but to trow the parts on the garbage or sell them, die to their wifes being females, they will never understand us..

That last paragraph made me actually laugh because it's so true - I've now got myself a shed to hide me and my junk in - no women allowed! 😀

Reply 44477 of 52699, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
How about everything aside from the 3Dfx chip itself ? I have the same card and believe me it is just cheap crap... Sure the ca […]
Show full quote

How about everything aside from the 3Dfx chip itself ? I have the same card and believe me it is just cheap crap... Sure the card is small, but i prefer bigger cards they just look better over the small ones. Also i think most collectos have enough parts to know, what quality means. For example most S3 Virge/ Trio cards are from cheap brands like this Super they feel like crap too. BUT does Diamond, Number 9, Hercules branded S3 feel like crap, well NO cuz even the PCB and the parts on the card look better. How about different colors there is Blue and black PCB Banshee and they look ALOT better then this i hate that color. And the super "brand" is cheap every single card i saw from that "brand" is just cheap and feel bad.

20200512_174249.jpg
20200512_174223.jpg

Sorry, but there is no objective argument to be found here.
You prefer the look and feel of other cards, ok, but that's just personal preference, right?
I for one like the small footprint of that card and how it is a welcome variation on the many cards that more or less clone the reference PCB. It may even be suitable for a low profile build. That's a plus in my book. Yes, the Gigabyte Banshee has one of the prettiest PCBs but that doesn't make it a better card or this card crap. Btw. coming up with a new design adds cost to the production. I assume(!) the smaller PCB also necessitates two more layers which would mean the PCB itself is more expensive to manufacture than the reference PCB.
I the choice of through hole capacitors may also be due to the samller PCB: SMD pads are larger on the layer they're on than through holes for functionally equivalent caps at the capacitances that are necessary here. This may give better options for trace routing. Either way assembly had to be done by hand so this smaller PCB is most likely not a cost cutting measure.
Next the card has active cooling, a feature that some of the cards you seem to hold in higher regard do not have.
Also the card you posted has some of the fastest VRAM I've seen on a Banshee if I'm right in assuming the 'AQ-7' print indicates a 7ns rating.

Reply 44478 of 52699, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-05-07, 10:55:

I'm just checking something here, alright? Because...
Do you even realize that this forum went to being basically great exactly because people wanted to keep playing their very old games and started talking about that here on Vogons? Do you also realize that later people started using actual contemporary obsolete hardware with those games and talked about their experiences with these old PCs here on Vogons? And that sharing this knowledge led to an increasingly larger pool of knowledge and understanding of this subject.

And do you even realize that basically the entire reason Vogons is what it is today is because people like us were basically trashpicking these old boxed games, picked up those sidecurbed PCs, revisited thrift stores and fleamarkets and bought those mass-dumpsaled obsolete junk parts? Do you think we all went to Dubai to get these items? Do you know that the wealth of knowledge and knowhow is accumulated by tinkering with any actual parts or do you think we only started out using ultra this and Collector Edition game that and it all just worked out of the box with no effort put into it and this forum is just one big dick measuring contest or something?

We started out with the what you would call junk parts and build it up from there my dude. Back then others called it all junk and nobody wanted those ultras, could get Voodoo 3 3000 for a can of beer and I mean literally. Elitists didn't really want those cards back then, people like us did.

Have you ever walked into a crowded bar where everybody is busy just enjoying themselves and then you starting to publicly preach how alcohol is evil and against the will of the lord and against the holy bible?
Have you ever bashed those 15 year old supermarket kids because their jobs are so crappy and their lives just suck and their lives are just below you and that they should just quit their 'jobs' and instead go where the real money is and that they should start mining bitcornies?

But anyway, I digress for a bit here.

You also said something about collectors but frankly most of those collectors don't actually use the hardware they purchase. Some may end up using it very briefly for some youtube benchmark footage but some people here buy actual parts with the intent of actually using it. And I mean probably for months or even years on end.

Nobody really cares if the PCB is 'the wrong color' or if it's not the ultra version of your favorite board. What mattes is that people are having fun with what they do and that it works xD

You're just coming across as vain here especially if you trash someone else simply because you think their purchase (with which they also state are perfectly happy and works in every regard they wanted from it) is too smol. or the wrong color,lol. Especially if it's something highly sought after like something 3dfx and is genuinely making somebody happy.
It's fine that you don't like it, but no need to be such a dick about it.

Report spammers here!

Reply 44479 of 52699, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is that dude really trashing that tiny Banshee card ?

I think is a nice little card and would fit something like my tiny little Zida Tomato S7 board, if it was PCI that is but even as an AGP card its got a lot going for it.

And by tiny .. I really do mean tiny .. its like a chibi sized S7 baby AT board, looks comical in even a midi tower case, even more amusing than the Coffee Maker I bought recently.

Dont be hating, just enjoy the hardware for what it is and marvel in the sheer variety of cool bits people find.