VOGONS

Socket 478 cooler recommendations

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oem Compaq/HP units had some great aluminum, sometimes copper core heatsinks with the backplate + screw in design. If you fan find a full Dell kit with the bracket, backplate, + weird green plastic clips they have alot of potential, especially the heat piped XPS coolers. Stock 478 Intel Prescott coolers are cheap and absolute overkill for any Willamette or Northwood cores.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 21 of 23, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SETBLASTER wrote on 2022-05-08, 04:11:

anyone with a lot of money want to buy and try
if the mod can be done to the Be Quiet! Pure rock 2 ?

It sure looks like the mounting is the same or very similar to version 1:
https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/be_quie … 2_review,3.html

So I haven't tried, but I'd say its the same stuff and moddable in the same way.

Reply 22 of 23, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ODwilly wrote on 2022-05-08, 10:17:

Oem Compaq/HP units had some great aluminum, sometimes copper core heatsinks with the backplate + screw in design. If you fan find a full Dell kit with the bracket, backplate, + weird green plastic clips they have alot of potential, especially the heat piped XPS coolers. Stock 478 Intel Prescott coolers are cheap and absolute overkill for any Willamette or Northwood cores.

with copper base and plastic bed i have only seen part number 304731-001

i don´t like plastic clips on the cooler and on the base. heat degrades plastic, i have seen how the legs break.
Same with the square that goes to the motherboard.

I did see a cooler made by coolermaster that was made probably for dell, which has a metal backplate and screw design. but it was not copper. but i might get that one since i know it will last forever

Reply 23 of 23, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-08, 10:13:

The Mugen 2 has some adapter parts which are I think needed to make it work on s478.

It comes with a bunch of adapters in the box to match whichever system your using it with, it wasn't a separate kit if that's what your thinking?
As long as the box is unopened or advertised as complete then you should be fine