VOGONS

C&C on a 233MMX runs poorly

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by RJRC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2022-05-09, 15:49:
I may be stating the obvious that you already know but the original C&C's were made freeware few years ago if your not worried a […]
Show full quote

I may be stating the obvious that you already know but the original C&C's were made freeware few years ago if your not worried about using your original CD's?
https://cncnz.com/features/freeware-classic-c … d-conquer-games
(I don't think the dos version was technically made available for download at the time, but iso's are easy to find)

My experience was dos version ran fine on a DX2/66 Network games would freeze for a second when accessing the next music track (known issue which is why music was off by default)
Win95 version was bearable but you were bettor off in dos really (like most games)
RA started to struggle in the later maps, I remember 1 sub heavy mission where the game would freeze for 1 second every few seconds.
RA95, Don't even bother!

RJRC wrote on 2022-05-06, 19:15:

neither of us could beat the Covert Ops levels Deceit or Twist of Fate or Blindsided.

Cloak & Dagger was the only level I never beat. My brother cracked it last year in the Remaster and I know he didn't cheat as he did it a different way to what's on youtube.
Guess I'm no longe the King of C&C 🙁

Yeah, you really need at least a P75 to run either DOS or Win95 C&C properly IMO.

One thing I really didn't like about the Covert Ops levels was that they were designed almost like puzzle boxes. Unless you know exactly the technique to do them or the right exploits or ability to game the AI, you're stuffed. Blindsided is a classic example. You have to early on get into a Nod base that's defended by three turrets and an obelisk with a commando and a few engineers, and a smaller base the other way. There is no accessible Tiberium so you can't capture a refinery and airfield and tank rush it. You're supposed to basically capture the entire base bar the Hand of Nod, sell everything, then zerg-rush riflemen at the obelisk or use them as a meat shield while your commando walks up and bombs it. It is the worst type of luck based mission.

Also it was never explained either in the manual or in the game that you could capture helicopters on the ground (as opposed to on a helipad) by sending in an engineer. Which several Covert Ops levels rely upon.

Reply 21 of 29, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Building sandbags fence to seal off tiberium or funnel enemy into well prepared defenses made a lot of missions easier too. Other tricks included building a concrete fence near enemy base and building multiple towers there to destroy enemy units before the main invasion force arrives.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 23 of 29, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I could not make C&C slow down on a P166 back in the day. There must be something wrong with the OP's config. Maybe the motherboard has no L2 cache? Some cheapo systems were shipped that way.

Also, if you run the Windows 95-version, - this was back when DirectX was at like version 2.0 or 3.0, so very very primitive. Your video card might play a crucial role here depending on the quality of the drivers for the kinds of things C&C utilises for the graphics routines...

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 24 of 29, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One thing I noticed about the original DOS version and the W95 version is that some of the .mix files are of different sizes (most of the w95 are smaller) which would tell me they did more than just write a Win9x executable+support.
Like scores.mix, 79M DOS versus 38M W95...Or am I mistaken....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 25 of 29, by RJRC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote on 2022-05-09, 21:04:

And to think, one is supposed to be able to play and enjoy C&C Tiberium Sun on a P233MMX. The horror. 😀

I played it back in the day on a 200MMX. It was a bit freezy and crashy and took unduly long to load each level, but it played just fine. No performance dropouts or anything.

Reply 26 of 29, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And to think, one is supposed to be able to play and enjoy C&C Tiberium Sun on a P233MMX. The horror. 😀

heh, I attempted to play Tiberian Sun on a K6-III+ 550 some years ago and found it to be a bit on the jerky side even on that system. It's amazing how "spoiled" we are in a sense by modern sensibilities.

Reply 27 of 29, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Garrett W wrote on 2022-05-11, 12:37:

heh, I attempted to play Tiberian Sun on a K6-III+ 550 some years ago and found it to be a bit on the jerky side even on that system. It's amazing how "spoiled" we are in a sense by modern sensibilities.

Same here.... it was jerky and stuttered, and when more then 8 units moved around the game would slow down... witch is weird because I first completed the game on a 400mhz k6-2 and remember it ran great...

A couple of weeks ago I discovered a modified campaign pack for red alert 2. The original mission but on much larger maps... Installed it on my 2.8 ghz p4 and it didn't run very well, despite the original campaign running flawlessly.

Reply 29 of 29, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote on 2022-05-11, 15:08:
Horun wrote on 2022-05-10, 01:34:

Like scores.mix, 79M DOS versus 38M W95...Or am I mistaken....

A bunch of the unused songs and variations got cut.

Thanks ! That makes sense...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun